Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 06:59:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: More new investment - but is the Treasury looking for excuses to miss off OHL?  (Read 5145 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2021, 05:14:20 »

I dont know whether there is a "history" there, but on the Council apparently wishing to "set up a new group of “Northumberland Line Champions” rather than work through SENRUG", from my experience with helping to set up the improved TransWilts Rail service in 2013 - effectively a "reopening" in terms of the dire service it replaced - Wiltshire Council could have taken the view that they didnt want to work with people like grahame, Phil or myself because of previous "Save The Train" era criticisms.

Instead they fully integrated their publicity with ours, even going so far as to appoint me as their Travel Advisor Team Leader. It would be a shame if a similar level of co-ordination couldnt be acheived in this case.

Indeed, Lee.

In our early days, we were a protest organisation - not because we wanted to be such, but because it was really the only way to get the notice and attention to our case.  We moved on as soon as we could from protest to partnership, but even so there was th legacy of history that could have driven a different-inclined council not to work with us.  I take my hat off to the likes of Richard Gamble and Horace Prickett, both public transport champions with Wiltshire council for long periods, for the week done and trust put in us.   

So much of it comes down to trust - hard to establish (especially when you have a protest group versus a council that's been hard to move).  All too easy to break too, but that would be another story if I had it to tell.   We established the trust, I think, by
1. Researching well and only pressing really good, workable proposals
2. Being their, consistently, for the long haul, and able to bounce back after setbacks
3. Working in a professional manner - the critical friend perhaps, but always polite and never the personal attack or dirty trick
4. A willingness to negotiate and compromise to help meet the objectives of all parties
5. An appreciation that while it's a 'system' being applied, it's people within it that oil the wheels and make them turn.

I don't know what has "gone wrong" at SENRUG - or even if one or both parties might consider this a negotiating position; sadly, there are circumstances where a disagreement over methodology or detail between parties ostensibly on the "same side" can lead to a significant degradation of results and a frustration of many parties and even reduction of loss of effective outcome.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2021, 14:50:33 »

a) Stations designed for car users, not pedestrians or bus users. Ashington, Bebside and Seaton Delaval in particular have the station entrances set back a long way from the main roads and too far from the bus stops. There also seems to be an over-provision of car parking facilities at several stations.

This will actually be illegal under the new DfT» (Department for Transport - about) Bus Strategy, which requires that bus services call at the railway station, that bus stops are situated as close to the station entrance as possible, and that schemes and proposals that move bus services away from railway stations will no longer be allowed.

Of course, if you remove the station from the plans completely ... that'll make it legal.

From the SENRUG chair's blog

I was surprised and disheartened to read in todays Chronicle Online that the DfT has ordered County officials to make savings to the Northumberland Line project, and as a result Bebside station might now be dropped. This of course is just a few months after Bebside and Seaton Delaval were re-instated from an earlier plan to deliver the line in 2 stages.

Yes of course the cost of the Northumberland Line project needs to be scrutinised and reduced where possible – SENRUG has long said that Network Rail’s costs are way too high. But costs need to be reduced without decreasing functionality or specification. We’ve already criticised the design of the station at Bebside which seems to be focussed around the needs of car users rather than those walking to the station or going by bus. Perhaps the simpler designs submitted by SENRUG for a station much closer to the main road, disregarded by the Council’s consultants, would have worked out considerably cheaper. We certainly think so.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2021, 02:59:28 »

Spurred on by the set of figures that grahame inspired me to look for as a result of his recent Swedish topic, I have been looking into why Ashington passenger service reinstatement costs appear so comparatively high. It soon became clear that the sheer scope of works required mean that it is certainly a completely different kind of challenge to either Haparanda or Okehampton - This Modern Railways article gives an excellent overview.

The Modern Railways article also gives an interesting counter point of view from Northumberland County Council through Stuart McNaughton, their Strategic Transport Manager, and Simon Middleton, a rail business manager with their consultants Aecom, regarding their view that their approach has actually allowed the project to proceed quicker, and reduced costs from what they might otherwise have been had things been left primarily to Network Rail, even attracting interest from, among others, an organisation that will be very familiar to members of this forum:

Quote from: Modern Railways
December 2023 is being pencilled in for the opening of the Northumberland line. ‘We’ve got a very credible plan to achieve that date’ says Aecom’s Simon Middleton.

The clear glide path for the reopening has certainly drawn the attention of promoters of some other projects. ‘The West of England Combined Authority is one that has been keen to understand what we’ve done’ reports Mr McNaughton. ‘I think an important part of our approach has been the hybrid model, with Network Rail (remitted by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) working on the rail aspects while stations and highways have been the responsibility of NCC. A joint programme integrator function has been pulling the infrastructure work together with the operating plan.’ Mr Middleton adds: ‘By contrast, I think that in the past, where there have been projects that are primarily being delivered by Network Rail, there has been a tendency to get stuck in the weeds, with perhaps an element of gold plating. We’ve benefited as Network Rail’s Eastern Region, under Rob McIntosh, has recognised that there’s a need to do things differently.’

However, the council have made two key mistakes. The first was to align with the DfT's Project Speed in the belief that it would serve merely as a means to the end of getting Ashington to the front of the queue:

‘In the summer of 2020 the Government was looking to “build back better” after Covid, and this was when Project Speed was hatched’ recalls Stuart McNaughton, Strategic Transport Manager with NCC. The acronym stands for ‘Swift, Pragmatic and Efficient Enhancement Delivery’. ‘It was based on the success in building the Nightingale hospitals and aimed to achieve projects with half the time and half the cost of what had been the norm.

‘At times this felt like a distraction to us: we were already doing value engineering on the route, and we were doing everything possible to deliver it as quickly as we could. But becoming part of Project Speed got us into the Government’s eye.’

and

While conceding that the outcome of the December 2019 election and the consequent attention on shoring up the newly-blue ‘wall’ has not done the Northumberland line any harm, Mr Middleton is keen to emphasise that the reopening project is a marathon, not a sprint. ‘Project Speed can be useful, but it needs to come along at a particular time in a project’s life cycle. We were fortunate as we were in the right place at the right time to take advantage of it: Project Speed has played a large part in bringing forward the decision to deliver by 12 months.’

However, Project Speed is actually a means to ensure the Treasury/DfT can exert complete control over such projects with the primary aim of driving down costs as far as possible. The economists involved - as member ellendune eloquently explored in their contribution to the Swedish topic - have as their reference point "the good old days" when during previous Conservative administrations of the 1980's and 1990's, British Rail's methods of introducing passenger services on freight-only lines included a spot of track slewing and the plonking of a bus shelter on a patch of repaved platform in Wiltshire, and the joining together with rubber bands and stickyback plastic of sections of line in Nottinghamshire, with their cost expectations set accordingly.

Unfortunately, the council have now discovered this to their cost. Here is the Chronicle article that the SENRUG Chair mentioned in his blog piece:

Quote from: Chronicle
In a meeting with Treasury officials and Andrew Gilligan, Boris Johnson's transport adviser, officials from Northumberland County Council were told to find cost savings. Options included cutting passenger services from two trains per hour to one, or cutting a planned station.

An account of the private meeting seen by Chronicle Live shows that officials agreed to draw up detailed proposals to remove Blyth Bebside Station from the scheme.

The account warns that this would risk "reputational damage from such a significant scope change", and points out that land for the station has already been acquired by the council.

Under the plan, planning permission for the station would still be sought, so that it could be built in the future if money becomes available.

Wansbeck MP (Member of Parliament) Ian Lavery said: "It is unbelievable that as planning permissions are being granted, the government are already looking to withdraw funding from the project. It is little wonder that the local Tories have been so keen to rename the stretch of track the Northumberland Line as if these measures go ahead who can be sure, Ashington, Blyth or Tyne will be served by the rail link.

"This is a kick in the teeth for those of us who have worked for decades to get the investment to the stage it is at now and a betrayal of our communities who have been held back so long."

The drive to cut costs appears to be part of a Department for Transport initiative called Project SPEED (Swift, Pragmatic and Efficient Enhancement Delivery), announced in February.

Even more unfortunately, the council have compounded this with their second mistake. In order to illustrate this, I am once again drawn to a section of the SENRUG Chair's blog piece that wasnt originally quoted by grahame:

Quote from: SENRUG Chair
It’s also worth also going back to the DfT’s own Press Release of 23rd January 2021, announcing the funding decision of that date. £794m in total, comprising £760m for the East-West Rail Link between Bicester and Bletchley, yet just £34m of the estimated £166m required in total for the Northumberland Line. If that represents the government’s desire to “level up” with regard to investment in the north, there is still a long way to go! Let’s hope this crazy decision can soon be reversed and we’ll soon be back to full steam ahead!

It is a matter of supreme irony that the SENRUG Chair remained laser-focused on the council during most of that blog piece, but switched his target at exactly the wrong moment. You see, the DfT actually awarded every penny of what the council asked for, because the council only actually asked for £34m of the estimated £166m required in total for the Northumberland Line:

As a project already quite well advanced when compared to others, the Ashington branch appealed in Westminster – resulting in the £34 million grant in January. ‘We thought about applying for a full allocation of funding to complete the project but decided this was a little premature, as we didn’t have tender prices and there was still some work to do on the business case’ recalls Mr McNaughton.

Whilst I am pretty certain that the government will provide just enough funding to ensure the completion of a scheme that has the potential to be a flagship of the "levelling-up" concept, by not asking for a full allocation of funding to complete the project, the council has put themselves in the position of having to accept whatever cost-cutting measures the Treasury/DfT suggest from now on in - Today Blyth Bebside, tomorrow? Well, who knows, really. I suspect that if and when SENRUG actually realise this, they will be looking to inflict rather more than "reputational damage" on the council as a result.

The upshot of this is that it really doesnt matter whether the council or SENRUG have the best plans for stations or anything else along the Ashington route, because neither will be wielding any real influence over any of it. In this "new normal", if the Treasury/DfT provides the funding for such schemes, then the Treasury/DfT will decide what gets built and where, just as they - through control of the vital funding streams - will decide the structure and scope of what bus and rail services are provided. In some cases, such as Bus Back Better, this may turn out to be good or even great for passengers. In other cases such as this, maybe not so great. Even then though, they are probably willing to make the political bet that, as with previous examples such as Borders, Alloa and Ebbw Vale in devolved areas - and indeed ultimately on the Melksham and Robin Hood lines in England - people focus on the positive benefits of having the line open and available for them to use, while any negative aspects of how the line was made open and available for them to use fade to the back of their minds.

The political aspect leads me neatly on to my final point. The eagle-eyed among you - particularly if like me you happen to have been a political advisor in the early to mid 2000's - will have spotted a further rather interesting aspect to this. However, I no longer play in those kind of ballparks, so I will leave it to others to decide for themselves the significance or otherwise of that particular element.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2021, 06:37:11 »

Spurred on by the set of figures that grahame inspired me to look for as a result of his recent Swedish topic, I have been looking into why Ashington passenger service reinstatement costs appear so comparatively high.

And ... spurred on by your detail, Lee ... I have attempted to post a follow up on that blog. (I say attempted because it gave me "Error: Google reCAPTCHA verification failed." and nothing appeared ... resubmit gave me "Duplicate comment detected; it looks as though you’ve already said that!".  Could be that I took too long writing, and/or all comments are checked to ensure they're fit for publication  Grin

Nothing really to add here - I just quoted that Modern Railways says they got what they asked for, and so on the surface it would seem that the "levelling up" comment is off kilter.   Also (attempted to - same darned validation) send a more detailed and encouraging comment to Dennis, with an invite to him to publish it.

Ironic that their next public meeting is "Tuesday 29th June 2021
Speaker Dan Nesbitt, Newcastle University
Subject “Transport, Technology and Trouble” – looking at the chaos that can be caused by software issues ...."

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2021, 05:01:48 »

My original comment (but edited!!) has been published on that blog, so it did get through in spite of the confusing error messages.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: