19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 02:25:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 56
  Print  
Author Topic: Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024  (Read 83579 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: April 06, 2023, 21:57:22 »

I misread that as 'Corfu' initially. Quite some day trip!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 06, 2023, 22:01:30 »

I have done Bournemouth to Edinburgh and back in a day, a long time ago mind!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 27, 2023, 11:09:29 »

Following ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about)’s rejection of the latest RDG(resolve) proposal, strike dates have been called for 12th May, 31st May and 3rd June.  With a rest day and overtime ban on 13th May, 15-20th May and 1st June.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 27, 2023, 12:47:40 »

Following ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about)’s rejection of the latest RDG(resolve) proposal, strike dates have been called for 12th May, 31st May and 3rd June.  With a rest day and overtime ban on 13th May, 15-20th May and 1st June.
More on this breaking news story here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65410800

Train drivers are set to strike again, including on the day of the FA Cup final, as part of a long-running row over pay, the Aslef union says.

As well as striking on 3 June, members will walk out on 12 May and 31 May.

It comes after the union rejected a fresh offer from 16 train firms, including a 4% pay rise for two years in a row and changes to conditions.

The organisation which represents train companies said the walkouts were "totally unnecessary".

The action is expected to cause major disruption across large parts of the country's railways, with some 13,000 drivers striking over the three days.

The first day of strike action on 12 May is the day before the Eurovision Song Contest final in Liverpool.

On 3 June, thousands of football fans are set to travel to Wembley Stadium in London as Manchester United take on their rivals Manchester City in the FA Cup final.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 27, 2023, 14:01:11 »

Striking on Cup Final day.......that'll get a lot of public sympathy in Manchester!  Roll Eyes
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 27, 2023, 16:36:10 »

Striking on Cup Final day.......that'll get a lot of public sympathy in Manchester!  Roll Eyes
I suspect striking the day before Eurovision isn't going to go down well either, especially given the circumstances that Liverpool are hosting the event is because the winners last year, Ukraine can't.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 27, 2023, 17:59:51 »

RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) strike day announced for saturday 13th May.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 27, 2023, 18:45:41 »

RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) strike day announced for saturday 13th May.

The date of Army v Navy at Twickenham. Highlight of many veterans year.....

The ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about)/RMT bruvvers have really thought these dates through haven't they?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 27, 2023, 18:47:10 »

Bullets dodged thus far for my travel to the Isle of Man on 16th/17th May. ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about)'s overtime ban between 15th-20th May will hopefully not affect me. Depot drivers only for SWR» (South Western Railway - about) and Grand Central aren't affected at all. Enough padding in my schedule from Shipley to Heysham on the 17th if there's service disruption on Northern Trains due to that overtime ban. Push comes to shove I can get a taxi from Lancaster station to the port.

Conceivably, my return journey could be affected if the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) get a renewed six month mandate for strike action from the ballot result due on the 4th May. They do have to give 14 days notice of strike action so my outward travel on 16th/17th May can't be affected. I just hope they don't decide on 22nd May as a strike day if they get another mandate.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 28, 2023, 06:55:10 »

I suspect striking the day before Eurovision isn't going to go down well either, especially given the circumstances that Liverpool are hosting the event is because the winners last year, Ukraine can't.
Doesn't look good in comparison with Ukrainian Railways.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 04, 2023, 18:29:32 »

RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) have got another 6 month mandate for continued strike action against 14 TOCs (Train Operating Company).

Ballot results saw 91% vote yes. Average turnout across the TOCs was 70%

From the RMT
4 May 2023

RMT Press Office:

RAIL union RMT announced the results of a re-ballot of members working for 14 train operating companies today which massively re-affirmed a mandate for further strike action.

All the ballots passed the 50 per cent participation threshold imposed by the government’s anti-trade union laws and included massive votes for further strike action.

RMT general secretary Mick Lynch said that the overwhelming backing for further strike action across 14 train operating companies was a de-facto referendum on the dispute.

“It is clear from these results that members are not prepared to accept a pay offer based on mass job cuts and major attacks on their terms and conditions.

“This sends a clear message to the employers that the huge anger amongst rail workers is very real and they need to recognise that fact, face reality and make improved proposals.

“They need to get around the table with RMT and negotiate in good faith for a better deal for rail workers,” he said.

The breakdown of the votes at each TOC was:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 18:41:11 by JayMac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 04, 2023, 18:56:58 »

That certainly is an overwhelming mandate, not much changed from the previous ballot.

Now we wait to see what the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) Executive do next with regards to industrial action.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #582 on: May 04, 2023, 20:35:46 »

Wasn’t the previous mandate across 16 TOCs (Train Operating Company), or is my memory faulty?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 04, 2023, 20:42:31 »

Wasn’t the previous mandate across 16 TOCs (Train Operating Company), or is my memory faulty?

Previous mandate in November 2022 was 14 TOCs, but it also included Network Rail. RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) staff at Network Rail settled back in March.
https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-renews-national-rail-strike-mandate-for-another-6-months/

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #584 on: May 06, 2023, 06:32:41 »

From Left Foot Forward (the name of the publication suggests a particular political position)

The transport secretary Mark Harper has been accused of “muddying the waters” by presenting misleading narratives in the rail dispute, on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Question Time last night.

When answering questions on resolving the rail strikes, Mark Harper attempted to shirk responsibility by referring to train drivers pay and unused ticket offices.

It comes as the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) union smashed their latest mandate for strike action, meaning members working for 14 train operating companies could strike again over the next six months.

It is their third mandate in the National Rail Dispute, with the latest receiving a 91% yes vote.

Mick Lynch, RMT general secretary said the mandate sends a clear message to employers of the “huge anger” amongst rail workers.

Speaking about the rail disputes and supposed job losses of ticket staff, Harper said people do not buy tickets from ticket offices anymore and that they are not needed.

Peter Hitchens, an English conservative author, who has been referred to as an “unlikely union man” since his appearance on the show last night, blasted Harper for deflecting the issue and questioned if this had really been agreed.

I note though

* 91% is a significant vote at a third mandate

* It's very hard for me to buy a ticket from my local ticket office when there isn't one. That's why I don't buy from the ticket office - I can't! People I speak with in my Town Council role tell me that one of the things that puts them off using the train is not understanding the ticketing and fare and car parking payment systems that a real live person could help them resolve.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 56
  Print  

Jump to: