27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 01:07:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 56
  Print  
Author Topic: Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024  (Read 84898 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: May 06, 2023, 08:11:55 »

From Left Foot Forward (the name of the publication suggests a particular political position)

The transport secretary Mark Harper has been accused of “muddying the waters” by presenting misleading narratives in the rail dispute, on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Question Time last night.

When answering questions on resolving the rail strikes, Mark Harper attempted to shirk responsibility by referring to train drivers pay and unused ticket offices.

It comes as the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) union smashed their latest mandate for strike action, meaning members working for 14 train operating companies could strike again over the next six months.

It is their third mandate in the National Rail Dispute, with the latest receiving a 91% yes vote.

Mick Lynch, RMT general secretary said the mandate sends a clear message to employers of the “huge anger” amongst rail workers.

Speaking about the rail disputes and supposed job losses of ticket staff, Harper said people do not buy tickets from ticket offices anymore and that they are not needed.

Peter Hitchens, an English conservative author, who has been referred to as an “unlikely union man” since his appearance on the show last night, blasted Harper for deflecting the issue and questioned if this had really been agreed.

I note though

* 91% is a significant vote at a third mandate

* It's very hard for me to buy a ticket from my local ticket office when there isn't one. That's why I don't buy from the ticket office - I can't! People I speak with in my Town Council role tell me that one of the things that puts them off using the train is not understanding the ticketing and fare and car parking payment systems that a real live person could help them resolve.

Then the answer is to simplify the ticketing and fare system, not sustain a necessity to employ people to explain it.

Over 80% of tickets are now purchased online, via ticket machines or other means such as tap in/out. We will never return to the previous situation. It is absurd to suggest that the railways should not recognise and act on this.

It isn't right to close every ticket office but neither is it right to insist, as the Trade Unions do, that there must be no change to the status quo.

Provision must be made for those that need help and this can be achieved via getting people out of ticket offices into a wider ranging customer service role, on the platform/concourse/gateline.

I think the Unions are correct on issues like DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) however it is correct to challenge their total intransigence on this one.

(And yes, as you and the name suggest, there are more objective sources than "Left Foot Forward")  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 08:18:56 by TaplowGreen » Logged
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 06, 2023, 09:00:13 »

Provision must be made for those that need help and this can be achieved via getting people out of ticket offices into a wider ranging customer service role, on the platform/concourse/gateline.
Depending on the station setup, wouldn't another situation to get people out from "behind the glass" be just to remove the glass? That way people can still be served in turn rather than potentially swamping them in a random order on the station?
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 06, 2023, 15:20:59 »

...................... is it right to insist, as the Trade Unions do, that there must be no change to the status quo.

Just how long did it take to get rid of "firemen" (under various other names) on diesel/electric locos.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 06, 2023, 16:19:17 »

...................... is it right to insist, as the Trade Unions do, that there must be no change to the status quo.

Just how long did it take to get rid of "firemen" (under various other names) on diesel/electric locos.

I don't know........years? decades?
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #589 on: May 10, 2023, 19:30:51 »

We were originally planning on travelling on Friday up to mid Wales to a friend's celebration there, and have accommodation booked. With the uncertainty about whether any trains will be running on either Friday or Saturday, we have now decided to travel tomorrow and stay an extra night.

However, my question is about bustitution on strike days, as our journey would have involved using this (between Shrewsbury and Machynlleth). If it isn't known well in advance whether a train service can be run to link with this service, is the bustitution automatically cancelled, or is it retained 'just in case'?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #590 on: May 10, 2023, 21:08:44 »

Usually cancelled if no rail services are running
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 11, 2023, 01:18:20 »

Transport for Wales aren't part of the dispute. Any rail replacement to cover their service should be running as normal.
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 13, 2023, 12:47:19 »

I notice that after have a limited service between Plymouth - Penzance for today advertised nearly all week on the GWR (Great Western Railway) strike page it's gone this morning..

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 14, 2023, 08:23:07 »

From what I could see South Western's reduced timetable held up pretty well yesterday, I went to Twickenham from Windsor for the Army v Navy match - virtually normal service in the morning but an early finish to services for which my liver at least was grateful.

It was easy to see that others had been affected however as the crowd was much smaller than usual - the RFU said 51,000 but it didn't seem like that many were there.

It was clear that train services from Liverpool had been particularly badly affected as the National Anthem was impeccably observed without any booing or jeering in evidence!  Wink
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 09:42:49 by TaplowGreen » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 14, 2023, 11:56:25 »

From what I could see South Western's reduced timetable held up pretty well yesterday, I went to Twickenham from Windsor for the Army v Navy match - virtually normal service in the morning but an early finish to services for which my liver at least was grateful.

It was easy to see that others had been affected however as the crowd was much smaller than usual - the RFU said 51,000 but it didn't seem like that many were there.

It was clear that train services from Liverpool had been particularly badly affected as the National Anthem was impeccably observed without any booing or jeering in evidence!  Wink

SWR» (South Western Railway - about) did very much concentrate their limited resources on serving Twickenham (though ran as many trains via the Hounslow loop for some reason). So Windsor was about the only place to the west you get get there from, or via London along the main line from Salisbury or Farnborough (for Aldershot). Nothing ran from near Portsmouth ... favouritism?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 14, 2023, 16:06:14 »

SWR» (South Western Railway - about) did very much concentrate their limited resources on serving Twickenham (though ran as many trains via the Hounslow loop for some reason). So Windsor was about the only place to the west you get get there from, or via London along the main line from Salisbury or Farnborough (for Aldershot). Nothing ran from near Portsmouth ... favouritism?

Yes ironically we were talking to a few people from Pompey many of whose friends had decided to give it a miss - hadn't thought of that though!  Smiley

The good news is - the RFU have announced that those who weren't able to make it to Twickenham yesterday due to the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) strike can use their tickets for the corresponding fixture next season - a nice gesture.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 18, 2023, 17:11:23 »

RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) announces strike action Friday 2 June.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 18, 2023, 17:18:51 »

RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) announces strike action Friday 2 June.

Oh my word they really are muppets aren't they?

Or at least they're totally indifferent to public support

All those Mancunians who changed their FA Cup travel plans due to the strike on June 3 are now stuffed again.....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 19, 2023, 16:14:13 »

You have to ask what difference public support is making now the dispute(s) has been going on for ages.  It doesn’t seem to be much of a factor (or consideration) any more from the ‘muppets’ on either side of the dispute…if indeed it ever was?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 19, 2023, 16:48:51 »

You have to ask what difference public support is making now the dispute(s) has been going on for ages.  It doesn’t seem to be much of a factor (or consideration) any more from the ‘muppets’ on either side of the dispute…if indeed it ever was?

Fair points.

I guess as far as the Unions are concerned it generates more headlines and keeps them in the News, although the Government know that overall the rail strike is causing only inconvenience rather than any serious disruption so are content to let it run on until it peters out................I suspect a face saving solution for both sides will be found at some stage that enables them both to claim victory (......that's the Unions and the Government, not City and United!!!) 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 56
  Print  

Jump to: