Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:19:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: From a correspondent in Dilton Marsh  (Read 8048 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 25, 2022, 23:25:47 »

From a correspondent in Dilton Marsh (by email, reproduced with permission):

Just a quick update on the abysmal service we are having to endure on a daily basis: short formations, overcrowding and air conditioning that generally doesn’t work.

I’m sure I remember GWR (Great Western Railway) stating that withdrawal of the Brightons would enable them to run the 5 coach trains we are supposed to have on the Portsmouth to Cardiff line. Since their withdrawal, I have seen the short formations of 2 and 3 coaches become more prevalent with yesterday morning being nothing short of a disgrace.

As usual on a Sunday I caught the 1052 from Dilton Marsh to Keynsham to visit my mum. It turned up a few minutes late as an already overcrowded 3 car. I managed to get on as did the other Dilton Marsh passengers and while there were no seats, I was able to move into the carriage away from the numerous suitcases blocking the doorways because there was nowhere else for them to go. A number of passengers got off at Dilton Marsh. I did ask if they actually wanted Dilton Marsh as they were laden with suitcases. Their English was poor and I don’t think they understood me. As we started moving they looked at the station sign and moved back towards the train but as the guard was by the front door he wouldn’t have seen them and as we were already moving, there was nothing he could have safely done anyway. Why can’t the automatic announcements give out Dilton Marsh, rather than when the door opens at Dilton Marsh state, “This is Westbury” with the monitors “confirming” this?

Also on this train, it was so overcrowded that people were left behind including a wheelchair at Bradford on Avon due to not only there being no room on the train for it but it was physically impossible for the guard to get to the cupboard which stored the ramp. This isn’t the only train that is regularly short formation. While the 1105 is a welcome addition at Dilton Marsh to replace the old 1111 from Westbury, it is only ever a 3 car with standing room only. This is the train that connects with the cruise ships so it is vital with no 1111 relief it is a 5 car.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 09:13:50 »

We visited friends on Sunday who are only occasional train users. They told us that they had recently used the Cardiff to Portsmouth service to travel to Southampton, and then on by SWR» (South Western Railway - about) to Poole to catch a ferry to the Channel Isles. Their journeys there and back match all the comments made in this correspondents ones, and they specifically mentioned the issue of the cruise passengers pretty much swamping Southampton Central's platforms to the point that when the train our friends had hoped to catch back towards Cardiff came in, they couldn't get on, and they had to wait an hour for a similarly overcrowded train to arrive to squeeze onto. They did also note with surprise how different the SWR trains were, where there was plenty of space and none of the issues highlighted here about the GWR (Great Western Railway) service.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 15:32:58 »

From another local correspondent - another day, another train, a similar problem

Yet again I have to complain about this train. It arrived in Salisbury with only 2 carriages. Mid morning Friday, holiday time, lovely weather, everyone taking advantage of the sun. Mothers with buggies, holiday makers with large suitcases, day trippers.

I had to stand in the vestibule for 45 minutes from Salisbury to Bradford on Avon. At [xx] years of age I did not appreciate this.

When we reached Bradford 4 people had to get out so I could get off. Eleven people were left on the platform because there was just no room. One passenger [snip] ...

Absolute disgrace. Do the words "forward planning" exist in GWR (Great Western Railway)?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 06:53:49 »

As so often seen in journeycheck "More trains than usual needing repairs"!

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 07:06:13 »

There's a 2 car 165 doing the rounds again on the CDF» (Cardiff - next trains)-PMH line today.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 08:15:14 »

There's a 2 car 165 doing the rounds again on the CDF» (Cardiff - next trains)-PMH line today.

On its own?  No parent??

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 08:26:16 »

On its own?  No parent??
On its own:

0803 BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)-PMH
1023 PMH-CDF
1430 CDF-PMH
1824 PMH-CDF
2230 CDF-BRI
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 09:43:41 »

On its own?  No parent??
On its own:

0803 BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)-PMH
1023 PMH-CDF
1430 CDF-PMH
1824 PMH-CDF
2230 CDF-BRI

Thank you - interesting to note it's not flagged up as a short form on journey check ...

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 10:01:53 »

It’s booked for a 3-car 166.  Is it possible that the night staff that do entries for journeycheck were on strike last night, so some entries have been missed?  It’s also quite possible that it’s just another journeycheck inaccuracy.

Either way, it’s good that the much more accurate data on realtimetrains can be used to find out such things.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 10:34:25 »

It’s booked for a 3-car 166.  Is it possible that the night staff that do entries for journeycheck were on strike last night, so some entries have been missed?  It’s also quite possible that it’s just another journeycheck inaccuracy.

Either way, it’s good that the much more accurate data on realtimetrains can be used to find out such things.

RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) was where I found out that there was a diagram down as a 2 car 165. Coming up on departure boards as such as well.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 13:45:20 »

For the last few weeks I have been helping out in an allotment alongside the railway line at Warminster - at various times of day. From my totally unscientific observations 5 car trains are very rare. Out of curiosity  I had a quick look at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website).
Last Monday, out of 32 Cardiff/Portsmouth trains just 6 were 5 cars.
Today (Sunday) out of 29 Cardiff/Portsmouth trains 18 were 5 cars.
This seems to tell me something - but I am not quite sure what ...............

Be interesting to see what tomorrow brings.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 09:54:56 »

Be interesting to see what tomorrow brings.

According to RTT» (Real Time Trains - website): this Monday 12 trains are shown to be 5 cars.  Double last Monday - but a third down on yesterday.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2022, 09:55:45 »

9 today !
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2022, 10:36:01 »

Please remind me when the 19 x 769 units have been promised to come into service to release turbos from the North Downs line and  to bring trains in our area up to the appropriate length.

eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2022, 11:43:13 »

Please remind me when the 19 x 769 units have been promised to come into service to release turbos from the North Downs line and  to bring trains in our area up to the appropriate length.

Shortly after the first commercial fusion reactor starts up.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: