Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
22:35 Maidenhead to Marlow
23:03 Marlow to Maidenhead
23:50 Maidenhead to Marlow
26/04/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
Delayed
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 22:57:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Frome to Bath Spa, end of the afternoon, with a cycle  (Read 1607 times)
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2022, 10:44:59 »

Accidentally cycled to Frome. Thankfully I'd checked the timetable, because after the 16:24, Frome has a 2 1/2 hour gap before the next train.

An hour before the train to Gloucester, there's one in the Weymouth direction, so a few people for that, after which Frome station, well maintained, spotless, was deserted. At one point, the sound of a train horn, nearby, suggested that something had just left the line from the quarry.

The cafe-in-a-shed across the road was closed (it's a tiny business, it closes at 3) and the bakery/food/drinks place had closed at three too, 'cos bakers are up early. Neither of the DIY sheds at the station has a cafe so a bit of a gap there given that the station approach if not the station itself remained busy as it's the location for a cluster of small businesses.

Cometh the hour, cometh the people and five minutes before the train was due the platform was reasonably busy, as was the train when it arrived.

The journey worked well, though not as well as returning from Avonmouth with a bike the other week. The Avonmouth train had a pretty flexible space for luggage and cycles. The Frome train was a 166, space for just 2 bikes and with a notice on the trains exterior to that effect. The official cycle capacity of 2 bikes was immediately full at Frome with myself and another who was heading for Trowbridge. The train's two bike cycle space was just too short for my bog standard touring bike, the other cycle person sat on the luggage rack and constrained his machine beneath that - and any more people travelling with bikes would have been testing whether the train manager had a pragmatic attitude to things.

Class 166s, even idling, are fantastically noisy from the platform, and Frome, with its overall roof, is a particularly good place to appreciate this aspect of their design. The racket they make isn't brilliant from within the train either it has to be said.

Once on the train, there was something that might have been a sobering continuation of something from the cycle ride. From Bath to Frome I'd used the Sustains path from Radstock much of which is on the old railway. Somehow, it shares the railway with the track, which has not been lifted, but after the weather of the last few years the installation is a monument to the flexibility of earthworks and indeed railway track. The track itself has in many places slowly moved itself - particularly to the inside of curves on embankments, where it now teeters on the edge of the earthwork. Turning to the cycle path surface, it appears to have been laid without a membrane beneath it - which can help mitigate earth movements - and the surface is in many places torn longitudinally as the earthwork has settled and spread. In the forty years or so since the line has seen a train, several of the under bridges now preserve the original trackbed levels while to either side the trackbed has dropped a few inches.

Which brings me back to the return on the train, and experiencing the same issue but on a live railway line. Between Westbury and Trowbridge there were a couple of places where the train rolled and spiralled noticeably giving the impression that we were on a piece of track with, thanks to this summer's heat and drought, a issue of subsidence and sideways displacement.

Mark

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 10:56:57 »

Lots of routes have very poor track quality at the moment thanks to the extremely dry summer.

I can’t remember a time since the aftermath of the Hatfield crash and the ‘cyclic top’ chaos when there have been more TSR (Temporary Speed Restriction)’s across the network.  It makes keeping time so much more difficult so is impacting on performance. 

And if there’s no TSR needed it’s a still a rocky and bumpy ride in places…though a good excuse to try and blame ‘the new trains’ for ride quality I suppose!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 11:08:25 »

From Bath to Frome I'd used the Sustains path from Radstock much of which is on the old railway. Somehow, it shares the railway with the track, which has not been lifted, but after the weather of the last few years the installation is a monument to the flexibility of earthworks and indeed railway track. The track itself has in many places slowly moved itself - particularly to the inside of curves on embankments, where it now teeters on the edge of the earthwork.
I've never been to Frome on the train but riding alongside the old track still, more or less, in place, is one of the best aspects of that particular path.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 14:53:58 »

It does, and I'm trying to think of another example. Some of the over bridges on the line from Radstock are quality constructions too.

It's curious that if we count the moribund track on the line to Radstock, what was the Wilts, Somerset and Weymouth railway network, despite its occasionally poorly sited stations, has retained track over practically its entire length.

I didn't realise that the Frome avoiding line was opened as late as 1933. It's not even seen its centenary, let alone any catenary.

Mark
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 07:02:35 »

I like the phrase
Accidentally cycled to Frome.

I presume like when the other half asks where I am going on the bike, "I am following the front wheel". Potential for seeing some where different, or differently.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 11:36:12 »

I like the phrase
Accidentally cycled to Frome.

I presume like when the other half asks where I am going on the bike, "I am following the front wheel". Potential for seeing some where different, or differently.

My first thought on reading that was Frank Spencer ...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: