Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:11:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Sea flooding on Severn Beach Line 22/02/2023  (Read 4575 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2023, 10:39:18 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) on Twitter

Due to the sea flooding the railway between Clifton Down and Severn Beach, the line is blocked.

Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled, delayed, or revised.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 11:28:45 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) clearly think the River Avon had a promotion...

Meanwhile:

Flood alert for Tidal River Avon at Bristol, Pill and Shirehampton

Tides are expected to be higher than usual due to spring tides. First forecast high water is 20:30 on 21/02/23. Second forecast high water is 08:45 on 22/02/23. All times are local and refer to the high water time at Avonmouth. Plan driving routes to coastal roads, which may be flooded. Please be careful along beaches, promenades and coastal footpaths and roads. We expect flooding to affect the tidal River Avon from Sea Mills to Conham in Bristol and between the Avonmouth Bridge and Shirehampton Park including Pill and Shirehampton. We are closely monitoring the situation. Our incident response staff are closing flood gates. This message will be updated Wednesday 22/02/23, or as the situation changes.

Sourve: gov.uk

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 11:34:45 »

Looks like a couple of trains were cancelled this morning; all appears back to normal now according to Realtime Trains...

Update: gwr.com says normal service after 13.00. Looks like they may be making use of the CFN (Clifton Down station) turnback.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 21:26:38 »

Looks like a couple of trains were cancelled this morning; all appears back to normal now according to Realtime Trains...

Update: gwr.com says normal service after 13.00. Looks like they may be making use of the CFN (Clifton Down station) turnback.
Not quite: my parents went off to Oxford for the day and found, when they got back into Temple Meads at about 1630, that they could not get a train to Sea Mills because the bridge there was being checked over.

They obviously opened the line at some point because 2K54 (1810 Weston-s-Mare - Severn Beach) got through to Severn Beach but its return 2K57 (2001 Severn Beach - Bristol Temple Meads) is, as at 2130 still at Avonmouth from which it should have departed at 2010! The line is again closed from Shirehampton to Clifton Down as I write this and the Clifton Down turnback is again in use. Screenshot attached from OpenTrainTimes.

Online sources give tide as being due at 14.08m @ 2108hrs.

Dave

Edit @ 2210hrs: Just come back from Sea Mills where I noted that the high water mark was only about 1ft above the section of path that runs under the bridge on the station side. High tide forecast at 14.28m @ 0926 for Thursday morning (23rd February) according to https://www.tidetimes.org.uk/port-of-bristol-avonmouth-tide-times-20230223
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 22:17:32 by DaveHarries » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 08:25:30 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) are running a shuttle service between BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) and CFN (Clifton Down station) this morning, at approx 26 min intervals.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 17:27:22 »

I had a look under the viaduct at Sea Mills on the weekend. Presumably these girders are supposed to brace it during high tides. I can see why NR» (Network Rail - home page) might be a bit worried!

brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 19:03:31 »

I had a look under the viaduct at Sea Mills on the weekend. Presumably these girders are supposed to brace it during high tides. I can see why NR» (Network Rail - home page) might be a bit worried!

Looks pretty ‘non-structural’ to me! Shocked
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 23:03:19 »

Especially the bit stuck in the mud in the foreground...

froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 09:05:20 »

Indeed. I've stated here before my fear each time I've walked under the bridge following the Avon Walkway path on the mudflats, as there is much corrosion evident all around. If you are in a train, you obviously don't see the state of the pillars, so travel completely unaware.

Presumably as a first measure, NR» (Network Rail - home page) could install a speed limit over the bridge, but would that help at all?

If not, any work to the bridge would obviously mean the closure of the line beyond Sea Mills (and possibly beyond Clifton Down, as would Sea Mills be able to act as a station with works so close by?). It would be ironic if that happened on the day Portway Parkway opened!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2023, 09:40:25 »

Indeed. I've stated here before my fear each time I've walked under the bridge following the Avon Walkway path on the mudflats, as there is much corrosion evident all around. If you are in a train, you obviously don't see the state of the pillars, so travel completely unaware.

Presumably as a first measure, NR» (Network Rail - home page) could install a speed limit over the bridge, but would that help at all?

If not, any work to the bridge would obviously mean the closure of the line beyond Sea Mills (and possibly beyond Clifton Down, as would Sea Mills be able to act as a station with works so close by?). It would be ironic if that happened on the day Portway Parkway opened!

I am not a signaller, but my understanding is that (without some sort of pilot working) trains can only be turned back at Clifton Down and Avonmouth.

My assumption is that the bracing girders were added some time after the bridge was originally constructed. As such, they could presumably be replaced if (and it may be a big 'if') the columns are in a reasonable state. From the look of the girders, it would possibly be better to remove them to prevent damage to the columns when they inevitably collapse.

Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2023, 12:02:01 »

Seamills, the bridges, from across the river. Photo from 2008.

Mark

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2023, 12:24:29 »

This picture, taken around 1963, shows the girders in a better state. I wonder if they've been painted since?

Gillett's Crossing from Bristol, United Kingdom, CC BY 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2023, 08:47:54 »

Considerably less load bearing mud back in the day !
With regard to speed restrictions for the use of the bridge,as it happens all services departing Sea Mills in the direction of Shirehampton ,acceleration to line speed takes place after crossing the structure and those in the direction of Clifton have already slowed to station approach speed before the bridge.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2023, 13:25:48 »

The load that a column can take is partly determined by it slenderness (broadly ratio of height to width). If this ratio is high then the column can buckle under load.  The effective height of the column can be reduced by installing cross members. This is most elegantly shown in the 'scissor arches' under the tower of Wells Cathedral.

I presume, therefore, that these steel cross members were installed to strengthen the columns.  It may be that if the only traffic is DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) these are not needed any more (I assume the freight goes via Henbury).  However they would be fairly simple to replace. 
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2023, 15:09:04 »

I seem to recall a 5mph limit over the bridge, that being some 10 years ago.

It may be that if the only traffic is DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) these are not needed any more (I assume the freight goes via Henbury).   

The rubbish trains between Brentford and Sita arrive loaded via Henbury, but the empty trains return via the Severn Beach line. I assume that saves a change of direction at Hallen Marsh when more lightly loaded - but still heavy.

It is now. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 15:20:40 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: