I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:06:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Journalistic inaccuracies  (Read 1063 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 29, 2023, 20:32:52 »

OK - so it would get lost in the "Portishead" thread ...  from Bristol World

The branch line from Bristol to Portishead closed to passengers in 1964 as part of the Beeching cuts. Since then, only freight trains to Portbury docks and the occasional nostalgic steam train have passed through Pill.

Err ... steam trains?    I can recall some diesel specials ....

This was the old Railway Inn where passengers would often wait before their train, or for a drink after a long journey.

I can't help thinking that the Railway Inn would have been almost always before and not after a journey

But the good news is that the disused line will reopen in 2026. Work on the £152m project will start in the summer of 2024 and once complete, there will be hourly journeys from Portishead to Bristol Temple Meads,

Are we sure of that date?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 22:10:44 »

Not as inaccurate as it might seem

46443 15 September 1985 as part of the GWR (Great Western Railway) 150 anniversary
Details from 6 Bells Junction
http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/

You Tube video
https://youtu.be/4kM8WN3A5Iw
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 22:21:23 »

Not as inaccurate as it might seem

46443 15 September 1985 as part of the GWR (Great Western Railway) 150 anniversary
Details from 6 Bells Junction
http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/

You Tube video
https://youtu.be/4kM8WN3A5Iw

46443 and 7819 Hinton Manor shared duties out to Portishead and along Wapping Wharf, as I remember. I think I did both excursion options,  but the details are a bit hazy now!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 13:42:42 »

There were some further steam excursions along the branch and also to St Andrews Road on which I travelled. Circa 2004 or 2005.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 16:43:01 »

This was the old Railway Inn where passengers would often wait before their train, or for a drink after a long journey.

I can't help thinking that the Railway Inn would have been almost always before and not after a journey
What's your reason for saying that? I would have though that, for instance, Pill residents commuting to Bristol or Bath were far more likely to stop for a drink on the way home from work than beforehand. Admittedly that's not a long journey, but similar would apply if going for eg a weekend in London, or wherever.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 17:11:57 »

What's your reason for saying that? I would have though that, for instance, Pill residents commuting to Bristol or Bath were far more likely to stop for a drink on the way home from work than beforehand. Admittedly that's not a long journey, but similar would apply if going for eg a weekend in London, or wherever.

Indeed - thinking of LONG journeys, people are likely to get to the station early whereas at the conclusion of such a journey they are probabley tired and want to get to their final destination.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 18:18:40 »

Indeed - thinking of LONG journeys, people are likely to get to the station early whereas at the conclusion of such a journey they are probabley tired and want to get to their final destination.

I'd take care, coming to Pill with your fancy-pantsy Melksham ways.

Anyway, you'd be better by far in the Duke or the Star...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2023, 19:14:48 »

Spend too long in the bar at the Star
Then a couple in the Duke will make you puke

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2023, 00:19:43 »

Adge never said nuthing about that…

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2023, 08:49:34 »

Adge never said nuthing about that…

Tiz better by far in the Duke or the Star than on the old Pill Ferry tonite!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: