21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 19:24:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[333] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[69] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[30] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[28] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: How are train strikes affecting you?  (Voting closed: June 06, 2023, 09:37:59)
I am not a regular rail user and it has not affected me - 10 (16.7%)
I have been able to plan my travel to be on other days - 16 (26.7%)
I have been able to make use of the limited services on offer - 9 (15%)
I have used other means of travel on strike days - 13 (21.7%)
I have lost opportunities / income due to the strikes - 5 (8.3%)
I no longer travel by train as much as I used to and won't be back - 4 (6.7%)
Something else (please post) - 3 (5%)
Total Voters: 36

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do train strikes still have any impact?  (Read 3523 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 02, 2023, 09:37:59 »

How are the rail strikes affecting YOU - a poll.  The answer is probably a complex combination, so multiple votes and write-ins allowed.

From The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Friday marks the 29th day of rail strikes since the current set of disputes began.

Members of the rail unions have been regularly bringing much of the network to a halt for nearly a year.

The leisure industry has been hard-hit as people cancel trips and holidays, or avoid city centre shops, pubs and restaurants.

The RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) union, whose members are walking out on strike on Friday, claims that the strikes have cost the UK (United Kingdom) economy £5bn, with the leisure sector taking the biggest hit from lost sales.

But with the majority of rail commuters able to work from home, the impact elsewhere has been limited.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 09:43:06 »

How are the rail strikes affecting YOU - a poll.  The answer is probably a complex combination, so multiple votes and write-ins allowed.

I have voted in my own poll for just about every option!    A lot more bus use ... trips moved to days when trains ARE running ... a journey on a strike day that took me via a very long routing but at least there were trains ... and on "something else" it has made the advocacy and promotion of public transport use very much more difficult, and reduced local promotion work; real long term damage there!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 10:11:55 »

I honestly believe that with the cut back services during Covid, and then the number of strikes we have seen people are now very adapt at finding a "plan b" instead of using the train

I'd hardly ever used a bus out of Weston before this period and have probably done more journeys in the past few years than I did in my previous 48 years on this planet
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 10:34:48 »

It's also worth bearing in mind that the World of work has changed since COVID, with far fewer people needing to commute every day - working from home in these circumstances is very much the norm and reduces the impact of these strikes and the Unions leverage massively - a big contributor to the Government's readiness to ride it out.

Perhaps "I work from home when there is a strike" could be worth adding as a category?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 10:48:52 »

It's also worth bearing in mind that the World of work has changed since COVID, with far fewer people needing to commute every day - working from home in these circumstances is very much the norm and reduces the impact of these strikes and the Unions leverage massively - a big contributor to the Government's readiness to ride it out.

Perhaps "I work from home when there is a strike" could be worth adding as a category?

Hmmm .. perhaps it could have been from the start - however a number of votes already and changing the categories would confuse the results; my intent was that "work from home" is part of the "travel on other days" option:
I have been able to plan my travel to be on other days

eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 15:41:29 »

In one respect I am very grateful that my two periods of daily train commuting (1982-6 and 2001-20) largely coincided with periods of relative peace in industrial relations
on the railways.

I can now organise my much reduced rail use to avoid industrial action, and it helps that Reading to Didcot seems to be one of the services that they keep running.

However it is frustrating that having spent years trying to encourage friends and acquaintances to use the train instead of driving or flying, it's currently simply not possible to do so a lot of the time.

I am also glad that I do have a car!
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 15:45:43 »

The trains I have taken on RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) strike days have been way less busier than normal probably as people have headed general rather than specific warnings. One curiosity - on these days there is an hourly direct service from Didcot to Cardiff that isn't in the regular timetable. Strikes haven't yet coincided with my travel needs for this to be useful yet ...
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 16:10:11 »

Hmmm .. perhaps it could have been from the start - however a number of votes already and changing the categories would confuse the results; my intent was that "work from home" is part of the "travel on other days" option:
I have been able to plan my travel to be on other days

Fair enough - I wouldn't want to risk a steward's enquiry!  Smiley

For my own part, I have a hybrid working pattern with 2 or very occasionally 3 days in the office - on strike days I have simply worked from home which has been the case with virtually everyone I know who is office based.

I'm also fortunate that Taplow is on the Elizabeth Line which has been immune from Bruvver Mick's efforts to date.
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2023, 08:28:23 »

Yesterday's (03/06) action by the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) caused me to cancel a booked day out at the Lord's England v Ireland Test Match.

There were no services at DIG so I would have had to get a bus (2 on the trip home) or taxi to & from EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains).
The first train from EXD to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) was at 0810 and the 1029 arrival time would have meant missing the start of play (in the event the service got to PAD 15 minutes late).
I had specifically booked myself on the 1904 Pullman service intending to have dinner on the train as a special treat; this was obviously cancelled and the last train back to EXD departed PAD at 1503 so to get a full day's cricket in would have required a London hotel followed by trying to deal with today's ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) action (which seems to have resulted in no trains PAD>EXD and SWR» (South Western Railway - about) services only as far as Yeovil Junction but requiring a change at BSK (Brake Standard Corridor (carriage)).)

Obviously I have applied for a refund of the rail tickets and fortunately managed to offload the Lord's ticket to a friend so disappointing but no real damage done.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2023, 09:11:47 »

What jumps out at me from the results of this poll (with the honourable exception of Bob missing out on a day at Lords!) is that the majority of people managed to get by/make alternative arrangements without suffering too much or missing opportunities, which is telling, especially for a rail focussed forum.

It perhaps goes a long way to explain why the strikes are largely proving pretty ineffective - inconvenient, but not a blocker -  and the Government is being able to tough them out without too much difficulty.

Noticeable that despite the strikes last weekend, events such as those at Wembley and Epsom were still full - people made other arrangements - perhaps illustrating rail's increasing status as an option rather than a necessity in this context.

A message which the Bruvvers Mick and others would perhaps do well to heed.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2023, 19:28:36 »

What jumps out at me from the results of this poll ...

An excellent summary, thank you.  For mosts of us, "inconvenient" is the best description.

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2023, 10:28:18 »

Somewhat surprised Glastonbury hasn’t been targeted for strike action. Certainly would have got some headlines if it had.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2023, 15:54:06 »

Somewhat surprised Glastonbury hasn’t been targeted for strike action. Certainly would have got some headlines if it had.

Bruvver Mick may be planning a Corbyn-esque style appearance on the Pyramid Stage, couldn't risk jeopardising that!  Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: