17:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:15 Penzance to Exeter St Davids
18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 19:36:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[86] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[28] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Could Scotrail benefit from West Coast Railways misfortune?  (Read 3306 times)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2023, 19:50:06 »

Hogwarts Express steam train cancelled over safety issues

I'm not sure what the timescale is, but with two return paths becoming vacant for the foreseeable, could Scotrail not employ two of their Inter7City HST (High Speed Train) sets to run in place of The Jacobite?

Apart from lineside photography, what benefits would potential customers lose by travelling in an HST rather than a steam-hauled Mark I coach? In terms of gains for the customer, the biggest gain would be cost given the extortionate cost of The Jacobite versus the cost of an Off-Peak Day Return on Scotrail (£60.75 against £16.80 [£11.05 with a railcard]). Using an Inter7City set would also allow both First Class and catering to be offered.

*** Edited to include actual costs ***
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 11:14:13 by PhilWakely » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2023, 10:55:49 »

That’s a big blow to West Coast Railways not being able to operate The Jacobite.

Personally, I’ve never used it because the cost difference between it and Scotrail is too great IMHO (in my humble opinion). I’m not a huge Kettle fan to pay so much more to travel on this line. The scenery is still the same from a Scotrail 156!

Would love to travel on an HST (High Speed Train) from Glasgow to Mallaig.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2023, 11:25:02 »

For the benefit of Timmer  Grin
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 11:32:45 »

A couple of weeks ago I did a day trip from Warminster to Carlisle and back in an HST - wonderful !  That's how rail travel used to be..........and still should be. In 40 years time will they be running excursions in an IET (Intercity Express Train) ?  I think not, I don't think they will be repairable after even 20 years.

Update:  That train from Phil looks familiar !
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2023, 11:38:40 »

Can anyone advise if HSTs (High Speed Train) have ever run on the West Highland lines? If not then getting any approvals in the short term will not be realistic.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2023, 11:41:53 »

Can anyone advise if HSTs (High Speed Train) have ever run on the West Highland lines? If not then getting any approvals in the short term will not be realistic.

See my post above!  Mallaig, Oban and Kyle have all seen the Midland Pullman. Kyle has seen the NMT, but I'm not sure about Mallaig or Oban. So, yes, they have run on the West Highland lines.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2023, 11:57:24 »

Top pictures of the 2021 Midland Pullman Railtour to the Highlands there Phil. Great.

I did look into it but a bit (well very) pricey for me and you had to book and pay for hotel accommodation on top of the price for the railtour.

I have mixed feelings on Railtours when it comes to the cost versus traveling on timetabled services and organising the trip yourself. But many people absolutely love railtours and find them great value for money.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 12:03:14 by Timmer » Logged
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2023, 11:59:04 »

The potential customers of the Jacobite would seem to be Harry Potter fans, rather than rail fans or scenery lovers.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2023, 12:25:37 »

The potential customers of the Jacobite would seem to be Harry Potter fans, rather than rail fans or scenery lovers.

Hmm ... then

a) Would it not be a good idea to run the "Harry Potter Train" from Princes Risborough to Chinnor where it could be part of the Harry Potter experience tours?

b) If people who are there for neither the scenery nor the railway are travelling to Fort William as tourists to ride this train, will its failure to be operating have an effect on the wider tourist business in the area?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2023, 12:36:15 »

I have mixed feelings on Railtours when it comes to the cost versus traveling on timetabled services and organising the trip yourself. But many people absolutely love railtours and find them great value for money.

With you 100%. As you can see, I am happy to be lineside to get the photo opportunity, but would not normally consider a very pricey railtour. Just before Covid struck, I took my daughter, who is an avid Harry Potter fan, up to Fort William. Naturally, we spent some time at Glenfinnan, but daughter was more than happy to experience travelling over the viaduct in a 2-car 156 at a cost of slightly more than a tenner for the two of us.
Sulis John

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2023, 18:49:49 »

I’m sure that Master Potter has proved a great boost for the Jacobite - but it was operating well before he saw the light of day.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2023, 09:08:29 »

I have ridden on the Jacobite a couple of times - but to my mind you see a lot more at "ground level".

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2023, 13:55:54 »

Really good photo. ^^

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2023, 15:52:43 »

I have ridden on the Jacobite a couple of times - but to my mind you see a lot more at "ground level".

"The" Jacobite?  Shocked Wink
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2023, 16:01:51 »

Yes in this case I believe - not the engine's name but the named train
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: