Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningDelayed
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 23:18:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[138] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[118] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[42] access for all at Devon stations report
[27] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Two trains in the same platform" at Rennes  (Read 2596 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2023, 15:23:44 »

I wonder why SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) have been making such a big fuss about their new mid-platform signals at Rennes, permitting "two trains in the same platform" (2TMV). This appears, from limited evidence, to be fully signalled platform sharing. There are also platform markings, of course, and rather complicated ones by the look of it. After Rennes, this will be rolled out across other suitable stations - not just short of capacity, but with long platforms and a suitable mix of train lengths and  movements. They seem to be aiming at two trains that depart in opposite directions, so either one or (more likely) both must be originating.

Apparently at Rennes they could previously manage to share platforms only seven times a day "for safety reasons", presumably because of the extra times and staff needed to supervise the permissive working. This kind of signalling is described as already in use in Germany and Switzerland, and the Rennes project has cost 12.6 M€.

Only French reports so far; here's a couple of older ones from 20 Minutes and SNCF, and a new picture from Le Parisien.

Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 21:54:21 »

Ummm, isn't this what they do many, many times a day at Temple Meads?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 09:37:34 »

Indeed. Until recently they used St Andrews Crosses rather than signal lights. And the trains don't even necessarily need to be going in opposite directions; I've been stuck on a northbound train on an even-numbered platform (i.e. at the country end) waiting for another northbound train on the odd-numbered end of the same platform to leave to clear our path.

I have noticed that trains on even-numbered platforms seem to stop a long way short of the 'join', sometimes beyond the canopy, which can be irksome!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 09:44:17 »

Indeed. Until recently they used St Andrews Crosses rather than signal lights. And the trains don't even necessarily need to be going in opposite directions; I've been stuck on a northbound train on an even-numbered platform (i.e. at the country end) waiting for another northbound train on the odd-numbered end of the same platform to leave to clear our path.

I have noticed that trains on even-numbered platforms seem to stop a long way short of the 'join', sometimes beyond the canopy, which can be irksome!

Stacking is not new ... it was even done routinely at platform 2 in Swindon from December 2013, with a 2 car 150 parked up on long turnover on the Cheltenham service parked against the buffers while a single carriage 153 buzzed in from Westbury and back out at the extreme end of the platform.  That has now changed, with the Cheltenham trains running to / from London, and the Westbury service of necessity now 2 or 3 carriages.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2023, 09:46:25 »

Joining still done at Plymouth.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2023, 12:10:30 »

Also happens (or used to before I retired last year!) on the bay platforms 4-6 at Reading. Sometimes two North Downs trains would be on one platform, so confused passengers would try to get in the nearer/inner one only to be shooed further up the platform to join "the front train". On one occasion in the evening we arrived at one of the platforms behind an SWT (South West Trains) train that was due to depart shortly (so therefore in front of it from a departure point of view) resulting in loud unhappy comments from its crew.

Back in the 1980s, a late train back home from London would involve a change for Tilehurst, then my home station. On Platform 8 (if I recall the old numbering correctly - the through platform on the relief lines on the central island platforms) there would be a single car "Bubble Car") that would be the stopping train towards Didcot on the west end, and a 3-car unit at the eastern end that would be a "stopper" back towards London. The west facing bay platform 6 (remember that?) was occupied by a Midland region unit that was the something past one unit that stopped everywhere on the way to Birmingham and connected unofficially with the Midnight Riviera for those who ignored "pick-up only" at Reading for an even later train home!

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2023, 12:12:51 »

Joining still done at Plymouth.

And lots of other places, both here and in France - which was the point of the question "why are SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) making such a big fuss?".

The key seems to be in the claim that making this a signalled move saves a lot of time. That does not seem to be the case, or not so marked, her so I guess the rules in France are more restrictive and cautious. If so, that is one reason there would be less reason to do it here, though I'm sure here are those who would advocate it just to reduce the risk.

The other reason given, that it's a cheap alternative to building platforms, applies much more in France. At Rennes the platforms are all 400 m long, and apart from double-length TGVs (Train a Grande Vitesse) there can't be many trains that long. However, the same logic does apply here, for the short local/regional trains we have.

The final selection criterion is having congestion and  suitable movements: basically two trains leaving in opposite directions. That can't be very common here or in France.
Sulis John

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2023, 13:51:51 »

Two trains scheduled to depart in opposite directions may well be a frequent occurrence if you have services terminating from opposite directions and not running through. Think Ormskirk and mentally remove the buffer stops, for example.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: