11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 12:30:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[112] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[83] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[43] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[37] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[36] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Virgin Trains - First Class Lounges "Ticket Issues"  (Read 14153 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2009, 16:13:31 »

Right, I'm going to have a rant now, because, personally, I think this is disgusting!

I was at Birmingham New Street station. I walked up to the Ticket Office and asked for a First Class Single to Wrexham General. (With intentions to take a London Midland Service to Tame Bridge Parkway & Wrexham and Shropshire Service to Wrexham General). I was issued the ticket with railcard discount at ^15.90

I had about an hour to kill so I decided I would sit in the First Class Lounge. Upon arrival I showed my ticket and was refused entry. Puzzled, I questioned this and asked the reasoning behind it. I was told that because I wasn't travelling with Virgin Trains I would not be allowed in.

Well firstly how do they know I wasn't planning to travel from Birmingham - Chester on Virgin Trains and then on to Wrexham??

They then went on to say that because CrossCountry trains don't pay towards the First Class Lounge, I was unable to be admitted. So how exactly is it CrossCountry's fault because I was travelling to a station that they don't even serve?

I then went on to say that I thought it was totally unreasonable to turn me away because of a political issue between companies. I commented that I had walked up to the Ticket Office and asked for a First Class ticket to where I need to go, and said I would be happy to use Virgin Trains for part of my journey to get there. (Which, according to the VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) Website would have entitled me to access the lounge) This didn't work and I decided to leave but requested a complaint form.

What has annoyed me about this is the following things:

1) I used The Manchester Piccadilly Lounge (Provided by VT) on a Transpennine Express Ticket.
2) I have used the First Class Lounge at Newcastle (Provided by GNER (Great North Eastern Railways)/NXEC (National Express East Coast)) with a Virgin Trains Ticket (Before XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Took Over)
3) A political issue over costs between customers means the passenger suffers.
4) Customers of VT allowed to use other operators lounges on Walkup tickets (Which I had Purchased)

It also says on their website that customers using Virgin Trains for part of the journey would be allowed entry (link below)

http://downloads.virgintrains.co.uk/docs/FirstClass-entry.pdf

Rant over,

What do you all think?

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 18:44:43 »

Anybody with a First Class ticket should be allowed entry to any First Class lounge.

End of story.

Send that complaint form off!
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 18:58:26 »

Anybody with a First Class ticket should be allowed entry to any First Class lounge.

End of story.

Unfortunately life isn't that simple. Different companies have different policies (for example, you can't use a first class advance ticket in an NXEC (National Express East Coast) lounge). In general complaining about a company policy that's clearly advertised will get you nowhere, and rightly so.

However, in this case a mistake has definitely been made:

1. The ticket you have (First Class Anytime Day Single) is available by any permitted route (as a bit of an aside, ^15.90 for that journey seems like very good value).

2. Travelling BHM - WRX via Chester is a permitted route. This involves using VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) from BHM to Crewe.

3. Virgin say on their website that the FC(resolve) lounge is for customers who hold a first class ticket that would enable them to complete "all or part of their journey on a Virgin Trains service from this station".

4. Your ticket therefore fulfilled that requirement and you were absolutely entitled to use the FC lounge at BHM.

Good luck with the complaint.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 19:04:30 by inspector_blakey » Logged
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 12:06:46 »

Unfortunately life isn't that simple. Different companies have different policies (for example, you can't use a first class advance ticket in an NXEC (National Express East Coast) lounge). In general complaining about a company policy that's clearly advertised will get you nowhere, and rightly so.

Wrong wrong wrong. It's one the problem with this country we don't complain enough. If the policy is stupid then there is even more reason to complain.

It's simple a First Class ticket gives use of First Class Lounges.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 16:34:02 »

I've often used the First Class lounge at New St whilst travelling to the North East on a (discounted) Cross Country ticket.

Coming the other way, NXEC (National Express East Coast) (and GNER (Great North Eastern Railways) before them) won't allow you into their lounge at Newcastle (or the one at Edinburgh) if you've got a cheap First Class ticket.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 16:37:01 »

Wrong wrong wrong. It's one the problem with this country we don't complain enough. If the policy is stupid then there is even more reason to complain.

It's simple a First Class ticket gives use of First Class Lounges.

Exactly. And IMO (in my opinion), all First Class lounges should be taken over by NR» (Network Rail - home page)/ another company, so there is none of this pathetic "you can't come in here as you're with another TOC (Train Operating Company)...." nonsense.

And as for NXEC (National Express East Coast) not allowing First Advance ticket holders - it is a disgrace! More proof that First Advance fares are only "semi-First Class."
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 16:45:57 »

Maybe it was the fact that I looked too young to use such a civilised environment...  Roll Eyes (I'm 18)

Thanks for all your comments Grin

I am going to write in a letter to VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) because it is unreasonable, as people have said, First Class Anytime Ticket = Entry to First Class Lounge on Valid Routes. I shall post the response (if I get one Wink )

It is true that NXEC (National Express East Coast) don't let you into the lounge on a cheap ticket. The trick is if you book in advance, book the ticket the advance ticket from Durham, and then buy a walkup ticket from Newcastle - Durham Grin

Costs ^7.40 But, if you have a laptop and want to access the Internet, you'd pay that for a coffee & cake as well as the cost to use the WiFi Network. (e.g. The Cloud, T-Mobile or BT Openzone)

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 19:08:41 »

It is true that NXEC (National Express East Coast) don't let you into the lounge on a cheap ticket. The trick is if you book in advance, book the ticket the advance ticket from Durham, and then buy a walkup ticket from Newcastle - Durham Grin

Costs ^7.40 But, if you have a laptop and want to access the Internet, you'd pay that for a coffee & cake as well as the cost to use the WiFi Network. (e.g. The Cloud, T-Mobile or BT Openzone)

Thanks for that advice. But it poses a big problem. The Centurion Bar is so good, architecturally. Can I desert that in favour of NXEC's Lounge? How good are their cakes by comparison?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 10:07:23 »

Thanks for that advice. But it poses a big problem. The Centurion Bar is so good, architecturally. Can I desert that in favour of NXEC (National Express East Coast)'s Lounge? How good are their cakes by comparison?

Now there's a dilemma, a real ale bar (I presumme the Centurion is a real Ale bar)  versus a tea and cakes in the First Class Lounge. No contest, good reason for travelling standard you don't feel that you've lost  out by not  using all the facilities offered.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 12:51:52 »

I don't drink so personally, the First Class lounge for me because I get the free WiFi and Drinks etc included free in my ticket Grin

But yes I can see that would be a decision worthy of much debate Wink

You could always bring the ale with you, would be cheaper than buying it in the pub, but the experience is not the same... Roll Eyes Only problem I see is that NXEC (National Express East Coast) Lounge Staff might frown upon this...  Cool

TheTrout will now go and experience the delights of First Class on London Midland, Followed by XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) and FGW (First Great Western). I could post experiences on this if required...??

TT

Grin Grin Grin Grin
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 13:04:05 »

Something's just occurred to me... How did you get a Y-P discount on a first class anytime day single? Unless the conditions have changed recently I thought they were only good for a discount on first advance fares.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 14:58:41 »

Simple Answer to a reasonable question Grin

I dont have a Y-P Railcard...  Roll Eyes

Grin Grin Grin Grin
BringBackGNER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 13:38:07 »

I was told last week by staff in the KGX NXEC (National Express East Coast) lounge that as part of the cutbacks NXEC will be turning all first class lounges self service. Not Newcastle style self service where the lounge is still staffed but you help yourself to drinks but rather Doncaster style where the lounge is totally unstaffed and you let yourself in by holding your ticket up to a camera above the intercom.

I was told that they're looking into letting all first class ticket holders (i.e. advance) into the lounges once again, presumably so they can mention this as an enhancement. In reality it's going to be a disaster. How are they going to keep an unstaffed lounge in a station as busy as KGX clean? It also means that paid for food, alcohol and soft drinks will vanish from KGX leaving only the complimentary offering.

NXEC cutbacks are getting beyond a joke this year. The onboard catering has been cut dramatically, many staff have been laid off and staff morale is very low which kills the enjoyment of travelling by train.

If you've not already, please sign the petition. I know there's a strong chance the petition won't do anything (unless the government are looking for criticism of NXEC) but at the minimum we can get a response from the government about the mess they've made (I blame the government for this mess, they should not have took the highest bid without thinking of the consequences. The amount of money NXEC pledged the government was so high that they'd have struggled even if the recession hadn't hit).

Hopefully the farce of NXEC will mean that the government will take quality of service more into account when making future franchising decisions.

vacman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 14:42:42 »

I was told last week by staff in the KGX NXEC (National Express East Coast) lounge that as part of the cutbacks NXEC will be turning all first class lounges self service. Not Newcastle style self service where the lounge is still staffed but you help yourself to drinks but rather Doncaster style where the lounge is totally unstaffed and you let yourself in by holding your ticket up to a camera above the intercom.

I was told that they're looking into letting all first class ticket holders (i.e. advance) into the lounges once again, presumably so they can mention this as an enhancement. In reality it's going to be a disaster. How are they going to keep an unstaffed lounge in a station as busy as KGX clean? It also means that paid for food, alcohol and soft drinks will vanish from KGX leaving only the complimentary offering.

NXEC cutbacks are getting beyond a joke this year. The onboard catering has been cut dramatically, many staff have been laid off and staff morale is very low which kills the enjoyment of travelling by train.

If you've not already, please sign the petition. I know there's a strong chance the petition won't do anything (unless the government are looking for criticism of NXEC) but at the minimum we can get a response from the government about the mess they've made (I blame the government for this mess, they should not have took the highest bid without thinking of the consequences. The amount of money NXEC pledged the government was so high that they'd have struggled even if the recession hadn't hit).

Hopefully the farce of NXEC will mean that the government will take quality of service more into account when making future franchising decisions.
I think NXEC are a shambles aswell from what I read, although i've not travelled with them since GNER (Great North Eastern Railways) went, GNER were a pleasure to travel with, proper smart uniforms, staff that were consistent in their approach to tickets etc and the trains were usually clean!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 17:36:00 »

To be honest - I wish they'd have given it to Virgin.

VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) seem to be the only TOC (Train Operating Company) to be enhancing catering and not lengenthing journey times!

NX need to be BANNED from running any rail operations - Central Trains were woeful...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: