Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 04:07:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: Ticket Machines - machines missing or broken, and penalty fare implications (merged topics)  (Read 84044 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: February 04, 2007, 15:19:44 »

Details & reaction contained in the link below.
http://www.savethetrain.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1319.msg3712#msg3712

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
MikeGTN

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 15:33:30 »

I cannot see this working at unstaffed stations hereabouts.

In the Southeastern area the machines generally supplement a booking office, and provide relief at busy times. However, passengers still have the option to speak with a human being to pick their way through the over-complex minefield of fares, peak time restrictions and travel conditions to obtain the correct ticket for their journey. Whilst the new ticket machines are slightly smarter (they in theory won't offer non-valid tickets such as Cheap Day Returns until the appropriate time) they still offer a bewildering array of tickets for the same journey. This is before we even start to consider accessibility issues for partially sighted users for example.

On the basis that I don't think others should travel free when I've paid, I'd have no objection to the Permit to Travel system being used, provided the machines are maintained and operate quickly enough to clear a queue of passengers in the peak.
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 11:52:42 »

I personally feel the 'Permit to travel' system is much fairer than ladelling the 'Don't have a ticket? YOU'LL PAY A FINE, YOU CRIMINAL!!' system on, which FGW (First Great Western) is doing. While I agree it will lower fare evasion quite a bit, I personally, as a fare paying passenger find it intimidating and will be vary wary to get on the train should the ticket machine not be working. I personally would have kept the old system, and made sure the conductors on the train were vigilant in collecting fares when the office is shut.
whistleblower

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 11:47:20 »

I've got a four page briefing for staff about the Penalty Fares to be introduced on 31st March.  These are not secret and FGW (First Great Western) will be trying to communicate the info to all passengers over the next month.  But you may find it easier to read it here than on a windy station platform in the cold and the wet Sad 

It's a four page brief so I'll try and pick out the salient points and if you want to know more, just ask and I'll try to answer your questions.  Italics indicate a direct quote from the briefing.

Penalty Fares are intended to encourage passengers to buy a ticket before they board our services.
New areas to be covered are basically commuter routes centred on Reading, Bristol and Exeter.  Most stations will be included but not all.  Some are too small to have a ticket machine and if you travel from those stations you will be exempt from the scheme.

A Penalty Fare is due when a passenger boards a Penalty Fares Train within a Penalty Fares area without having previously paid their fare OR when a passenger is found in a Compulsory Ticket Area without having paid for a ticket.  (A small number of our stations are designated Compulsory Ticket Areas. It does not matter whether the station is gated or not).

How much is the penalty?  The penalty covers the distance from the station where you boarded to the next station STOP.  You would be penalised ^20 (or twice the single fare (whichever is greater)) to that next stop PLUS the undiscounted single fare from THAT stop to your final destination.  You can travel from a station outside the Penalty Fares Area to one within it and you won't be penalised.  If you are travelling from a Penalty Fares station to one outside you'll only have to pay if you are caught inside the PF (Penalty Fare) Area.

OK - Who's going to be brave enough to demand ^20 from you when it's raining, the train's late and shortformed and you are squeezed in the toilet with three other people?  Not me, that's for sure.  Only an Authorised Penalty Fares Collector with an official badge and special training can do so  Roll Eyes- not the conductors or ticket sellers.  They may be checking on the train or at ticket barriers.  What happens if you do board a train without a ticket and ask the conductor to sell you one?  Well, if there's no Authorised Collector around, the conductor CAN sell you a ticket but has to issue a verbal warning that you WOULD have been penalised if there was somebody to do it.

Two relevant points to consider.  For the first month (April) penalties will not be issued - just warnings.  But be aware of this nasty one: If you receive a Penalty Fare you have to give your name and address which will be registered on a database.  That database will be consulted by phone whenever somebody is penalised and if it is a subsequent offence you will not be issued with more penalty fares.  The intention is to prosecute for the offence of fare evasion which is a criminal offence.  We actually prosecute around 50 people every week

Well, I hope that helps prepare you for what to expect come 31st March.  Please don't blame me or my colleagues, we don't like it any more than you do. I don't like the way that it dehumanises life.  If you have a bit of trouble (i.e running late, car wouldn't start, kids playing up) it'd be nice to know that somebody might help instead of turning you into a criminal.  Oh well - we'd better blame the fare dodgers, I guess.  Sorry for the glum news Undecided
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 20:41:47 »

So, will passengers details be taken if they get PF (Penalty Fare)'d during April?

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
whistleblower

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 22:01:23 »

So, will passengers details be taken if they get PF (Penalty Fare)'d during April?
The briefing says that only warnings will be given, so I would say not.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 21:53:14 »

They have installed ONE fasticket at Trowbridge, but isn't on yet, let alone in Service

Cheers
Jim Smiley
whistleblower

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 12:24:03 »

Official information on the introduction of Penalty Fares has now been posted on the FGW (First Great Western) website.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=1042

There is also a downloadable PDF map which shows which stations are exempt.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 14:34:43 »

As a regular (i.e. often) but irregular (i.e. no particular route most of the time) traveller, I'm going to have one heck of a job knowing when I have to search out a machine and when I have no chance of finding one and should just get on the machine.  Will ALL stations be marked well, in and out of the zones?

I note that Swindon and Didcot are both in penalty fare zones but the line between them is NOT - what is the significance of this exclusion?  Can anyone explain?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 06:28:31 »

You can see that they have not put fasttickets at stations that are likely to have them vandilised though! Look at Weston Milton & Stapleto RD especially

Cheers
Jim Smiley
MikeGTN

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 23:16:22 »

As of the end of the last working day of March, the majority of ticket machines between Bristol and Taunton appear to remain out of commission.

I can only assume a peek at the great black shrouds covering them all will convince guards that the passenger had no opportunity to buy before boarding!
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 10:03:25 »

I passed Oldfield Park today, and right next to the entrance to the walkway of Platform 1 was a big, ominous, yellow and black sign:

WARNING!
^20 FINE

I mean it's all well and good doing this, but I feel it's scare tactics gone mad and will drive many people away. Couldn't they just have put friendlier looking signs on the platform?
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 09:12:35 »

Still only got 2 RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))'s in the wilts area!

Personally, I think if a PF (Penalty Fare) scheme is going to work, all stations need to be under the same rules, like SWT (South West Trains), EVERY station now excpet West Of Salisbury is PF zone, which is how to do it, not make half the stations exempt

Cheers
Jim Smiley
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 06:51:19 »

Right, we only have a few weeks left before this is proper penalty fares (with all 4 on train RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))'s!) & we are npw just under a month after the 'big switch on' of the 'fastickets' but how many of them work? So, when you are on you travels, if you see 1, lets us now wether it is working or even switched on & we can see how orginsied this is going to be!

I will get the ball rolling

Trowbridge - Out of Service
Warminser (P1 & 2) - Out of Service

Cheers
Jim Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 15:52:34 »

I like the way there's a huge sign at Trowbridge that says "Tickets over the Bridge" (or words to that effect) just a few yards from the only ticket machine.  If I were a newcomer to Trowbridge, followed the directions, failed to find anywhere to buy my ticket would they still penalise me?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: