Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 02:35:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Perranwell ... some of the natives are still restless.  (Read 14745 times)
RailCornwall

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2009, 18:53:24 »

Petition on missed village trains  

People wanting to use a Cornish railway branch line have started a petition because they say trains do not always stop at their station if requested. Some commuters in Perranwell said they had tried to flag down trains on the Truro-Falmouth line, but said, on many occasions, it was full or did not stop. Rail users said a cut in carriages had affected services.

more ....

6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 19:17:50 »

'Fails to stop'
He said: "They can neither get to Truro or to Falmouth. Every other train fails to stop.

im probably wrong on this but didnt the service go from hourly to half hourly ... so if every other one stops ... as advertised on the time table they still get an hourly service so Perranwell has not lost any trains? has it??
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 20:22:31 »

'Fails to stop'
He said: "They can neither get to Truro or to Falmouth. Every other train fails to stop.

im probably wrong on this but didnt the service go from hourly to half hourly ... so if every other one stops ... as advertised on the time table they still get an hourly service so Perranwell has not lost any trains? has it??

They may not have lost trains but they have lost seats now that its only half the train it once was!

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 20:43:30 »

ahh now i understand, how long is the journey (eather way)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 21:11:20 »

I knew this would be a problem. You can't just run a 2 tph service with half the carriages. Haven't the lessons of Virgin Princess been learnt?

1. "Key" trains will always be targeted by commuters, so will need the full amount of carriages.

2. With the increased frequency, passengers numbers will go up, exceeding the half stock threshold.

And before anyone comes in with sarcastic comments involving "Train Trees", I know that FGW (First Great Western) have no stock spare. But the question is, why invest in increasing the service frequency with no extra stock secured?

However, I'm sure the comments about "sometimes it doesn't stop" are wrong. I expect the people haven't cottoned on to the fact that every other train is NOT scheduled to stop.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 21:13:31 »

Footfall figures for Perranwell are about 10,000 per annum - so between 30 and 35 journeys per day to and from the station. That's just the 'stats' ... taken from afar - are they accurate?   I would be a little suprised is services that are scheduled to stop on request have been failing to do so - but as it's new for trains to be scheduled 'express' through Perranwell, perhaps it takes some getting used to.  And the changes to the timetable will - for some perople there - have led to less convenient times for the ones that do stop, and the clockface and connection changes at Truro lead to a further change from journey that people have got used to and run their lives around ...

((above is written from afar - an educated guess; please comment on my reading of the situation!))

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 21:49:55 »

I'm really not sure why they bother. Lets just not run any trains at all! That way people cannot pick faults!

It would be a collosal overkill of resources to have 2x2 carriage trains running the branch off peak when passenger numbers are not spectacular enough to fill a 153. These extra 2 wasted carriages would be far better placed in Devon where off peak loadings are excellent.

If something is good, bash it! Just wait till the new Kent commuter services, no doubt its too fast and makes people ill or something equally far fetched.  Roll Eyes
jester

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 23:25:20 »

The train just doesnt ignore people on the platform on purpose OR not stop if its full thats rubbish!
It stops when booked to stop but passengers still ask it to stop when its not in the timetable.
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 01:33:31 »

The train just doesnt ignore people on the platform on purpose OR not stop if its full thats rubbish!
It stops when booked to stop but passengers still ask it to stop when its not in the timetable.

Possibly because it's being announced as a 'request stop'.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 18:09:01 »

The trains haven't been overcrowded at all, people just turn up for the trains that aren't booked to be a request stop! Perranwell has gone from having 13 trains per day to having 21! thats a mass improvement for 10,000 people per year!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 12:49:58 »

Edit by Graham E. I have split this topic.   Btline suggested that there are all sorts of places where people will complain where a service is changed, even if that change in many (or most) ways is an improvement, and he cited the new High Speed Services from Kent into London - starting this December - as an example. Although I initially resisted the suggestion of splitting the topic, it became something that needed to be done (and has been done) ... and you may see a few odd bits about Kent in this Cornwall thread, and vice versa!

Re the walk from St P domestic to the tube...the link was proposed, and indeed the escalators at the domestic entrance are installed but the subsurface direct link to the proposed Northern ticket hall to the East of KX was postponed by the government. I assume work will restart soon!

Work restarted ages ago, and will be completed late this year in time for the full Kent domestic service...

Paul
and the relevence to Perranwell is?Huh??
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 13:09:30 by grahame » Logged

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 14:53:01 »

so basically Perranwell feels left out because it hasnt recived the same increased service and the trains which ignore them on the platform are the ones they think they should have but are not timetabled to stop
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 16:40:36 »

The main issue seems to be the introduction of the request requirement, which I think they might have a case in respect of the non hourly service trains. If every train up to 0900 and from 1700 stopped as a matter of course I suspect the natives would be happy. A small but not insignificant gesture which could easily with only minor adjustments to the timetable be achieved.

The additional fact that the bus division of First have made a right horlicks of local services in the village and surrounding areas doesn't help the rail operations side of the company when dealing with the station problem. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 21:46:31 »

and the relevence to Perranwell is?Huh??
Thread divergence. About a week ago...

Paul

Indeed.  I had wondered whether to split the threads, but had come down against doing so. Reasons (a) a tricky one to decide which posts to put where at the division point (b) Members don't like threads being spuriously moderated - it's like changing history and (c) our members are perfectly capable of reading back and seeing what happened.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 00:50:15 »

and my sincerest apologies for drifting so far off topic Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: