27/04/24 12:49 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
27/04/24 14:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
27/04/24 15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 01:38:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 180 Adelantes - discussions, including their return to FGW  (Read 208747 times)
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: April 11, 2012, 22:12:42 »

I do have hazy recollections of this being an issue when the units were introduced back in 2001: as I recall (anyone help me out here...?) the unions "blacked" the units initially and refused to work them.

The first Adelante service was a "token" Bristol - London passenger working, crewed by management to meet a regulatory deadline of some description for the trains to be in use. Squadron service did not come until some while later.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 12, 2012, 08:54:37 »

Weren't the Class 180s also delayed from entering service because the safety case for having passengers in a lead vehicle of a 125mph unit was being argued over by Railtrack, the HSE (Health and Safety Executive) and the manufacturer Alstom?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 17, 2012, 18:12:56 »

Although the Adelantes aren't that old, here's a bit of nostalgia from their introduction to FGW (First Great Western) first time round:

http://vimeo.com/29773996

Also, a staff training update from those early days of Adelante operation.

http://vimeo.com/29773974

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #453 on: April 17, 2012, 19:34:22 »

Although the Adelantes aren't that old, here's a bit of nostalgia from their introduction to FGW (First Great Western) first time round:

http://vimeo.com/29773996

Thanks I watched one of these on youtube as well as some other training videos
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 17, 2012, 19:43:01 »

Ah, yes.  Tears of nostalgia from watching that again! 

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 17, 2012, 20:32:02 »

A real touch of class that the unit number appears to have been painted onto the coupler cover using Tipp-Ex in the last few minutes of the "introduction" video!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 17, 2012, 21:03:49 »

Looks like they've finally given up with those coupler covers on the refreshed sets.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 17, 2012, 21:23:39 »

Was a bit surprised by how shaky and arthritic those extending couplers and covers looked in the video too!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 17, 2012, 21:53:54 »

There are definitely only five 180s allocated to East Coast, three of which are currently on lease to Northern while I think Hull Trains has another of the EC allocation as a spare while its four sets go through overhauls. The other five are with Grand Central.

I can think of an FGW (First Great Western) route where they would come in very handy, where they would be able to operate from a depot well used to them and which maintains Hull Trains' sets - and they would provide about half of the extra DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) coaches that FGW was supposed to get for Thames Valley services. But as I've said before, any return to these parts should only be after a proper upgrade programme to deal with the things that used to keep going wrong in the past.

If used on the Cotswold Line, they could displace pretty much all the 166 diagrams - allowing the 166s to return to Reading-Gatwick work and freeing 165s to strengthen main line commuter services - and be able to mix it with HSTs (High Speed Train) on the fast lines. Send them to Bristol and you would need to retrain depot staff, they would cover only part of the 158 fleet's duties and would never run at anything near top speed.

And is the tide of abuse towards Northern and the north necessary? How would FGW or any other operator cope if it had been given a franchise on the basis there would be no passenger growth (ie no need for any extra stock), when in fact there has been 34 per cent growth on Northern in six years. The area's other key operator, TransPennine, is also desperate for new stock. Were you commuting around Leeds or Manchester, you might be pretty aggrieved too.

Sage words, willc, sage indeed. I am from up North, living in Bristol for many a long year, and agree with both sides. The problem is not that the stock is unfairly distributed, but that there isn't enough. The years of letting the railways rot will take much longer to get over.

Now, please!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 18, 2012, 14:04:17 »

Looks like they've finally given up with those coupler covers on the refreshed sets.

They are being fitted! At a later date I believe.
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 18, 2012, 17:48:41 »

Class 180 test runs today were cancelled... Due to a train fault   Roll Eyes
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 19, 2012, 13:00:11 »

The reliability of 180106 has been, shall we say, 'patchy' since returning.  It sat in platform 5 at Paddington refusing to move for quite some time last week as well.  Of course these training/test runs are designed to get rid of any niggles, but personally I remain a little concerned!

Regarding the dispute concerning operation of the door controls, here's the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers)'s take on the subject including their opinion that this is the thin end of the wedge and that IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) will be DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) unless they win this battle:

inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 19, 2012, 15:22:55 »

Bless them. I never knew there was a "former First Great Northern" franchise...
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 22, 2012, 12:25:42 »

I'm hearing there's a hoped for phased introduction on Cotswold Line services commencing from the middle of next month.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 24, 2012, 20:00:08 »

I'm hearing there's a hoped for phased introduction on Cotswold Line services commencing from the middle of next month.

Well, make that the end of May, but the plan (though don't hold me to it of course as it might go bang over the weekend) is to let an Adelante loose from next Monday on the following revenue earning services:

11:20 Paddington-Great Malvern
14:26 Great Malvern to Paddington
17:18 Paddington-Oxford (fast to Maidenhead then stopper)
19:31 Oxford-Paddington

There's also an early morning test run from Paddington to Oxford squeezed in.  Presumably it'll be 180106 as it's done all the test mileage so far despite a couple of others now being returned.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34
  Print  

Jump to: