07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 08:20:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Torbay Express.....  (Read 8611 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: September 02, 2010, 21:38:09 »

Is it worth it?

Have been tempted to go one of these weekends - but you know me, I'd do the full works for ^189

Just wondering if the food quality is worth it - and I don't mean that the food itself is worth ^189 but the whole full works experience

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 21:44:54 »

Did it last year (after 6 years of watching it steam through Nailsea every summer sunday), and the family thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't vouch for the food as we did it standard class. There appears to be quite a few alternatives running from Bristol over the next few weeks, including one to Plymouth departing Bristol an hour earlier on the 19th, and another the following saturday heading to the south west.

Google steam tours and you will find an excellent site that lists all main line steam tours, and which operator runs them if you want more info.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 21:49:03 »

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/

Good place to start.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 22:21:44 »

Ah well - doing it on the 19th - will report back - day off between final assignments and exam revision

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 22:31:23 »

Kingswear & Dartmouth is nice (bloody good fireworks display on regatta too)

Make sure you get seats on the left hand side for the coast between Exeter and Kingswear
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 22:34:11 »

I'm sure the food will be top notch, but I think it's time they cleaned and repainted the outside of their rake of carriages. They look really tatty when parked up at Temple Meads.

Enjoy your trip. Dartmouth is a lovely place to spend a few hours.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 22:48:09 »

Sorry to be fussy...just about to shift this into "Other ways to travel" Wink

...but have fun! Never been on the Torbay Express itself, although did go on a railtour from Temple Meads down to Par some years ago (return via Pewsey and Reading...) and it's a superb journey. Looks like it's booked for 71000 Duke of Gloucester at the moment, but you might be unlucky and get some Great Western scrap metal instead.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 22:52:41 »

I'm sure the food will be top notch, but I think it's time they cleaned and repainted the outside of their rake of carriages. They look really tatty when parked up at Temple Meads.

Enjoy your trip. Dartmouth is a lovely place to spend a few hours.

Well its that tatty rake that (1) let me know it existed and (2) tempted me to spend ^175 for a day out with food (prices have dropped since last I looked - was ^189)

So don't knock it

chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 23:03:42 »

Kingswear & Dartmouth is nice (bloody good fireworks display on regatta too)

Make sure you get seats on the left hand side for the coast between Exeter and Kingswear

Leaving Paignton stay on the left for the bay & beaches after passing through the tunnel try to get to the right hand side for the river Dart - it's absolutely lovely up there and steeped in history.
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 00:43:37 »

Ah well - doing it on the 19th - will report back - day off between final assignments and exam revision

I see you have some time at Dartmouth - walk through the station straight on to the ferry for Dartmouth.
There's nothing to see on the Kingswear side that can't be seen better from the Dartmouth side apart from the station which has a huge platform and lots of old 'stuff' lying around.

Fish 'n chips from Brunel's Station which is now a cafe - then you have plenty of time to take the harbour cruise

http://www.dartmouthrailriver.co.uk/section.php/24/1/harbour_cruise

You get to see the castle at the harbour mouth, the Naval college, lots of very expensive riverside property, Agatha Christie's estate, the Raleigh Estates, the Dimbleby brothers yacht, fabulous scenery, maybe Seals & Kingfishers.

The boats leave from the same pontoon that the ferry dropped you off at.

Any time left - at the pontoon you'll see an Elizabethan fronted restaurant (fake) walk around the 'back' of it to see the real thing - unfortunately recently damaged by a fire.   
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 09:58:57 »

I recommend a visit to the fudge shop, all freshly made in the shop.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 22:49:43 »

Are there any nice walks in the area?  I'm not talking hikes etc just nice wanders to stretch the legs

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 23:58:44 »

To be honest, Mookiemoo, I think there's a fair bit of walking to be done, even in Dartmouth.

A walk to the castle, and perhaps up the cliff path from there, for some spectacular views of the Channel, combined with strolling around the harbour, should give you plenty of exercise and fresh sea air!

My personal recommendation for lunch in Dartmouth, by the way, would be the Dartmouth Apprentice - a worthy cause, and very good value.

Hope this helps!

CfN.  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 00:26:33 »

Agreed the castle is quite nice. Although there is plenty to see in Dartmouth.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 10:44:25 »

Does it take the same route as the normal HSTs (High Speed Train) to that part of the world or does it go off track?  If its the same route, I know which side to be on at what point but if not, I'll have to pay more attention

This is an expensive version of my take a day out on trains to get away from the net jobby

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: