Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
16:56 Exmouth to Paignton
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
17:23 Exmouth to Exeter St Davids
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
15:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
15:47 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
15:51 Paignton to Exmouth
16:14 Paignton to Exmouth
Delayed
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:53 London Paddington to Penzance
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
15:02 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 17:06:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[182] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[23] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[9] Cornish delays
[1] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternatives to Nailsea station for ease of access  (Read 4839 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: September 09, 2010, 19:22:43 »

I need to travel to bristol tomorrow, returning monday on the sixish direct from reading to weston/taunton - cant remember which

Now the suitcase I am taking with me will be HEAVY so I don't want to deal with the stairs at nailsea on the way home.  It will be full of four courses worth of text books.

Are any of the other stations that the london paddingtons which stop in this area more accessible.  I can't drive to parkway as I have an advance from bristol temple meads to birmingham and that would be joining short.

So are yatton, worle, weston milton or god forbid even weston supermare any easier for ramp access - I also don't want to have to remortgage the truck to pay the parking

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 19:26:45 »

Yatton is easy as access to the London bound platform is flat. However if returning with a heavy case you'd need to negotiate the stairs. The car park is on the London bound platform and only ^1 a day as far as I know.

Worle has a bridge with a ramp I believe, however it's a bit of a trek from portishead!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 19:34:40 »

If the bridge with ramp can be confirmed then worle it is - its only 11 miles from portishead and the alternative is to drive to parkway, get the train into temple meads in order to pick up my xc train which then takes me back to parkway - a bit naff really.

Unless I would get away with short joining if I bought the parkway to temple meads return and just bloody got on at parkway

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 19:36:21 »

d_m. FA is travelling from Reading with her mahoosive case.

There is also a car park on the platform 1 side (Weston/Taunton bound) of Yatton station though with level access to the platform. ^2.10 for the day, or ^1.90 with RingGo.

There is however a photo on the NRE(resolve) website for Yatton Station that suggest the tariff is ^1 per day, but this may well be out of date.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 19:41:42 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 19:55:24 »

Yatton.  Details of current car parking charges are available at https://www.myringgo.co.uk/parkinglocator/1945  Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 19:57:37 »

Sounds like yatton then

I just need to be able to access both platforms  with the suitcase - once tomorrow and one monday night - without stairs

I might look into worle though since if thats cheaper/free to park, the extra few miles would save me a tenner

Now if I'd remembered I'd had to take so much I woulf just have got an advance from parkway and saved me the hastle

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 20:20:42 »

Ah..... I see now. You're case will be heavy both out and return.

In that case(!) Worle maybe a better bet as the footbridge is ramped to both platforms.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 20:28:10 »

Yatton.  Simply walk up the approach road, cross the line using the road bridge, and walk down the opposite approach road.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 20:42:30 »

Ok - have decided on yatton

The case is heavy in both directions due to me taking with me, and returning with 12 300+ page text books, plus paper, computer, associated crap and clothes for four days - so its what was filling out my little case yesterday plus all the books and more clothes

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 20:52:24 »

I've taken the slight liberty of expanding the title of this topic, for greater clarity.  Tongue

I'd also suggest that I personally would be happier leaving my car over a weekend at Yatton (manned, some of the time, with CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision)) rather than Worle (unmanned, no CCTV).

CfN.  Roll Eyes Lips sealed

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: