Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 01:55 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 02:08:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Two forum gatherings in the coming weeks. 24th July and 21st August  (Read 31140 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2011, 22:12:12 »

After discussion amongst the Moderator and Admin team we have decided on arranging two opportunities for Coffee Shop Forum members to meet up in the coming weeks.

The first will be on Sunday 24th July taking in a day out at the seaside in Weymouth, utilising the additional train service from Swindon at 0820 via Melksham to the coast.

This will be an ideal opportunity for forum members to come along and support the additional 'Summer Sunday Specials' on the TransWilts route. As well as an opportunity to meet fellow members and some of the team behind the Coffee Shop.

It's possible for members using Bristol Temple Meads to connect into the additional Weymouth train at Chippenham and members from the Exeter, Tiverton and Taunton areas can connect at Castle Cary. Alternatively a later direct train can be taken from Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth at 0920, with some connection possibilities from across the west.

I'll look at finding a suitable pub (ideally child and dog friendly) where we can all meet up in Weymouth for lunch and a chinwag and I'll post further details here - suggestions welcome!

As Weymouth will not be easy to get to for forum members living east of Swindon there will also be another opportunity to meet up on Sunday 21st August.

This will be a trip to Bourne End via Maidenhead, a walk along the Thames Path to Marlow (Approx 3^ miles) where we shall stop for lunch in the Marlow Donkey pub (family and dog friendly), then train home. Those not wishing to do the walk can, of course, stay on the train to Marlow and await the walkers' arrival! Looking at train times, the ideal arrival into Bourne End will be 1147. That's the 1135 from Maidenhead. Plenty of connection opportunities from across the network.

Both trips are open to all forum members, the first being a great idea for a family day out.

Fares info I can provide via this thread if needed.

If you're interested in either trip then do please register that interest on this thread!

The Coffee Shop team look forward to seeing you!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:54:23 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 22:19:35 »

I will definitely be there on August 21st. (although I did vow never to walk that part of the Thames path again after my recent London Moonwalk training when I spent a lot of time there)..
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:28:08 by bignosemac » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 06:49:27 »

Will certainly try to get to one. Been thinking a meet up would be a good idea for a while. As mentioned elsewhere I'm in the process of moving so it's sods law that on the date of the first one I'm likely to be in Berkshire and on the second one in Wiltshire. However nothing is impossible!! (Specially as there are some quite cheap advance fares from Swindon to Reading on the weekends)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:28:26 by bignosemac » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 07:31:34 »

Is there some event on in the Swindon area on the 16/17th July?  Just been looking at Travelodges for the night of the 16th and the Central Swindon one is ^119. I don't think I've ever seen a price over ^100 before. The ones nearer Bath are only slightly cheaper.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:28:39 by bignosemac » Logged
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 08:10:19 »

As Weymouth will not be easy to get to for forum members living east of Swindon there will also be another opportunity to meet up on Sunday 21st August.

This will be a trip to Bourne End via Maidenhead, a walk along the Thames Path to Marlow (Approx 3^ miles) where we shall stop for lunch in the Marlow Donkey pub (family and dog friendly), then train home. Those not wishing to do the walk can, of course, stay on the train to Marlow and await the walkers' arrival! Looking at train times, the ideal arrival into Bourne End will be 1147. That's the 1135 from Maidenhead. Plenty of connection opportunities from across the network.

I might join you on the Bourne End / Marlow, to save a bit on the cost of the rail ticket I would embark and disembark from the train at Furze Platt  Grin
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:28:52 by bignosemac » Logged

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 09:06:31 »

Specially as there are some quite cheap advance fares from Swindon to Reading on the weekends

And if there isn't,  then you can always do the Didcot splits!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:29:04 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 10:43:48 »

I'd love to do both but as I'm moving house on the 15th the 17th is not really feasible.  Also, wth my transport being in Ireland I would be constrained by buses to and from temple meads or a taxi (at 25 quid each way) so I think that one is going to be out of bounds.

Therefore count me in on the 21st!  I'll be travelling in from nailsea/bristol do when a bigger roll call has announced maybe the bristol lot of us can plan togther and save some pennies
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:29:16 by bignosemac » Logged

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 19:05:37 »

If I get the time or after a pint or three I will try and write a bit of a line guide for the Maidenhead Marlow line
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:29:27 by bignosemac » Logged

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 19:15:05 »

Therefore count me in on the 21st!  I'll be travelling in from nailsea/bristol do when a bigger roll call has announced maybe the bristol lot of us can plan togther and save some pennies

The Bristol Mafia on a GroupSave!   Grin
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:29:38 by bignosemac » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 08:11:32 »

Although it needs an update - First Great Western Link anyone? - this gives a bit of detail on the Thames walk and some nice photos.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:29:51 by bignosemac » Logged
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 10:12:02 »

Afraid I'm driving to Bristol on the 17th for graduation the following day.  No plans for the 21st August yet, will come back nearer the time when/if I manage to get a job by then Undecided
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:30:07 by bignosemac » Logged
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 10:39:03 »

Regret not available for 21st will be playing trains up at Fawley Between Marlow and Henley that day.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:30:18 by bignosemac » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 11:28:47 »

*bump*

..... to remind folks about these two opportunities to hook up with fellow coffee-shop members and the forums admins/mods.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:30:30 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 12:57:44 »

I might reconsider the sunday meet up if I'm not in ireland on the monday - and I might not be!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:30:42 by bignosemac » Logged

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 04:53:15 »

After careful consideration by the forum moderators it has been decided that we will change the date of the first meeting to Sunday 24th July. This has been done as the trip to Weymouth on the 17th is likely to be extremely busy with folks from Wiltshire Chamber of Commerce.

All timings and connection opportunities remain as in the opening post.

As for somewhere to meet up in Weymouth, then best I can come up with is The Swan Inn on St Thomas St, a 'Spoons pub. If anyone can recommend somewhere with a bit more character (serves food) then do please speak up!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: