21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
This is
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 03:58:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[216] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[102] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[69] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[66] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[38] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[28] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Most remote stations....  (Read 11326 times)
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2010, 21:44:51 »

OK

1: What is the most remote station in the UK (United Kingdom)? (by remote I mean has no road access close by).
2: Has the most useless train service in the UK? (e.g. 1 train a day/week).

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 22:02:54 »

2.  PilningRoll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 22:10:50 »

1: Many stations vie for that title. Corrour on the West Highland Line is probably the most worthy of the title but there's also Berney Arms in Norfolk and Dovey Junction on the Cambrian Line which are pretty remote.

2: Reddish South or Denton. Both with only 50% of the service that Pilning gets!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 22:11:30 »

1. Berney Arms http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berney_Arms_railway_station .......... or posibly
Conour http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrour_railway_station

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 22:15:33 »

2.  PilningRoll Eyes

Fairly easy to get to. You go down a lane near to a pub and then into the station car park Wink
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 22:20:08 »

2.  PilningRoll Eyes

Fairly easy to get to. You go down a lane near to a pub and then into the station car park Wink

I know that.  But the question, as posed, was,

2: Has the most useless train service in the UK (United Kingdom)? (e.g. 1 train a day/week).
Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 22:23:05 »

Didn't spot that '2.' there, honest  Cheesy
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 22:58:44 »

Grin

willc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 00:04:51 »

Corrour station may be a good 15 miles from a 'proper' road but, so long as you have the permission of the Corrour Estate, you can drive all the way to the station on the estate roads - so one up on Berney Arms in that respect.

Certainly about as remote as it gets in terms of being away from it all, as I can attest, having spent a week's holiday at a cottage on the estate many years ago, after arriving by train at dead of night. This was in the days of Class 37s and steam-heat coaches, with the guard telling me to come up to the brake coach after we left Rannoch to get off at Corrour, as the platform was just one coach long. Who needs SDO (Selective Door Opening)?

But even Corrour might just be shaded by Altnabreac on the Far North line, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altnabreac_railway_station
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 00:25:02 »

Cough, splutter:

Monday to Saturday three trains per day operate eastbound to Wick and westbound to Inverness, with two trains a day on Sundays.

Best not tell grahame about that level of service ...  Roll Eyes Grin

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 01:00:32 »

Three a day each way and only 200 odd passengers a year!

....and Corrour may be remote but it's got daily (not Saturday) direct services to and from London!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 01:01:42 »

So are FGW (First Great Western) trying to shut down pilning then?

I have wanted to go and visit Corrour, as an ex rambler (and bronze DofE award recipient) would be interesting to hike around the estate to see the views of the north highland line. Plus as the sleeper stops there is even easier to get there.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 01:19:42 »

Well worth the trip on the Caledonian sleeper. Just don't go in February like I did - Total whiteout until we dropped down into Fort William!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 13:05:59 »

Teeside airport station has one train a week in each direction.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 16:29:06 »

2. Newhaven Marine, think it is still rail conected and there were ghost trains run to it

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: