Lochluichart new station opens (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:12 Frome to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 06:48:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[203] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[153] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[65] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[62] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[36] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[26] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43
  Print  
Author Topic: Chiltern Evergreen 3 project - ongoing discussion  (Read 353241 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2012, 17:56:28 »

Finally, the inevitable decision has been reached.

Do we know when the line will close to be constructed.  2015 is slightly disappointing as an opening date, hopefully early in the year and not December 2015!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2012, 19:06:59 »

This is excellent news - I'm really pleased the correct decision has finally been reached. The delays has been very frustrating that a relatively small number of moaners can use the system to delay and increase the cost of a well thought out project that was always likely to proceed.

Looking forward to using the new (and hopefully cheaper) route from Oxford to London in 2015!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2012, 19:22:23 »

Moderator note:

This topic has been retitled to reflect earlier discussion and recent news.

Carry on as you were.   Smiley

bignosemac.   Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2012, 19:25:24 »

What happened to the title? Has it been AXED?

Good outcome, though, and another step in the right direction. As for the people with stables / B&B / meditation centre built close by, I have learned by your mistake. I will not open such a business close to a dormant rail line.

Now, please!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2012, 19:52:05 »

Finally, the inevitable decision has been reached.

Do we know when the line will close to be constructed.  2015 is slightly disappointing as an opening date, hopefully early in the year and not December 2015!

In the original FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions), construction was reckoned to take about 12 to 15 months.  I suppose a lot depends on whether they still have a contractor on the starting blocks, and I think possibly more importantly, whether it now makes more sense to do the EWR aspects concurrently.

"If you get permission for the scheme, when will construction commence and how long will it last?
If Chiltern Railways is granted the necessary permissions to go ahead with the scheme, construction is likely to commence in the summer of 2011 (although the exact timing will depend when permissions are granted). The construction programme for the Phase 1 works along the whole of the proposed route is planned to take around 12 to 15 months."

http://www.chiltern-evergreen3.co.uk/index.php/faqs#construction-permission

Paul
John R

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2012, 21:30:15 »

What happened to the title? Has it been AXED?

Good outcome, though, and another step in the right direction. As for the people with stables / B&B / meditation centre built close by, I have learned by your mistake. I will not open such a business close to a dormant rail line.

Except, in this case the line isn't dormant, and has both a passenger service and the occasional freight train. Which makes me wonder if the existing line had been upgraded first, and then permission put in for the new chord, would there have been less grounds to oppose it?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2012, 21:44:44 »

In the original FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions), construction was reckoned to take about 12 to 15 months.  I suppose a lot depends on whether they still have a contractor on the starting blocks, and I think possibly more importantly, whether it now makes more sense to do the EWR aspects concurrently.

My Chiltern 'spies' tell me there's been an awful lot of activity on the route in the last couple of months.  Surveying and the like.  Appreciating that won't be the same gang who do all the hard graft, but it hopefully means that work can start sooner than later, and yes, the only sensible decision would be to do both phases concurrently - though sensible decisions are often not what actually happens!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2012, 14:07:32 »

No press releases on either the DfT site or the Evergreen 3 site yet.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2012, 17:07:25 »

It's made it into today's FT and the Independent, and assorted regional papers, and Construction Index etc, according to Google news...

Seems a pretty safe bet now, I reckon.

Paul
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2012, 17:22:22 »

Glad to see this finally going ahead and I would like to hope that we will see a direct link between Milton Keynes/Bedford to Bristol via Oxford.

I think we can safely say we are in for a very interesting time over the next few years
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2012, 10:26:15 »

Still nothing on the DfT's website, the Evergreen 3 site or indeed Chiltern Railways' website.  Seems a bit odd to me!

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2012, 11:21:04 »

Couldn't agree more II ! I emailed the DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) on Friday asking where it was, and was forewarned it could take 20 working days for me to get a reply. Now I wonder what else they could be worrying their pretty little heads about..hope they haven't founds newts hibernating underneath the bats in Wolvercote tunnel ! I cannot help wondering that if greater crested nets are so blinkin rare, why are they found to be holding up every infrastructure scheme...here in Portishead they are holding up the building of a much needed Sainsburys while they hibernate for 6 months !
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2012, 11:29:57 »

Still nothing on the DfT's website, the Evergreen 3 site or indeed Chiltern Railways' website.  Seems a bit odd to me!

It's on Chiltern's site under 'press releases' (but not 'news'); dated 18th October, and quoted elsewhere on the 19th:

http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/news/chiltern-railways-given-green-light-build-new-rail-line-between-oxford-and-london

Seems to be the source text that most news media have copied verbatim.

Paul

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:49:33 by paul7755 » Logged
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2012, 11:49:40 »

Hopefully any delay on DfT» (Department for Transport - about) making a formal announcement is because they are preoccupied with other matters... Nonetheless, I'd have thought the Minister would see this as a positive piece of news on rail franchises so would be keen to get it out there?  But the current low profile, combined with the apparent significant increase in the construction timescale, is a bit disconcerting. I wonder if some irksome conditions have been imposed to prevent disturbance to the bats and horses, e.g. work only permitted at particular times of year, etc,  maybe it all has to be done by hand with picks and shovels...!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2012, 14:00:06 »

But the current low profile, combined with the apparent significant increase in the construction timescale, is a bit disconcerting.

I don't think there's any indication that construction timescales have significantly increased though? 

Back when they suggested construction would start in summer 2011, that had anticipated a summer 2010 TWA inquiry - but that didn't actually start until November 2010 - and even then lasted significantly longer than expected. So I'd suggest that even if the first inquiry had resulted in the OK, the start of work would have been delayed already by about a year to summer 2012, and with an assumed 12 - 15 months construction time, (and erring towards the latter), would have meant the earliest possible timetable change to introduce the service would have theoretically been that of Dec 2013, yet they planned that services would only start at the end of 2014.

If their claim to be running trains in 2015 is accurate, then it seems to me that although there's been almost two years delay in the inquiry process, the project is not actually running two years to the right...

Paul   
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43
  Print  

Jump to: