14:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:59 Westbury to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 15:38:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[197] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[99] June to December 2024 Timetables
[71] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[56] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[49] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[36] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 43
  Print  
Author Topic: Chiltern Evergreen 3 project - ongoing discussion  (Read 353285 times)
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 21, 2013, 12:05:25 »

Recall a suggestion somewhere that EWR could terminate many services at Didcot bringing Platform 5 into greater use which is relatively lightly used, in the process taking over some/most of the stoppers between Oxford and Didcot. Whether this was an 'official' suggestion or someone's own speculation I can't remember though - or indeed how popular that would be for people going from say Goring to Oxford.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 12:10:43 by didcotdean » Logged
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 21, 2013, 18:25:06 »

Probably also means no extended layovers for Chiltern - straight in, load/unload & out again. The original plans incorporated their own station entrance, ticket office and associated kit like drivers accom. I guess the latter could still feature if you had a quick driver changeover.

Separate train crew messing and welfare is not favoured, likewise entrances and ticket offices for National Rail services.

The EWR website shows services through to Reading which if the journey times are reasonable to Aylesbury and Milton Keynes will become a popular commute 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 21, 2013, 18:31:32 »

It would be easier to just join the EWR services to the existing FGW (First Great Western) stopping services from Paddington, now that it's full electrification throughout, rather than an interloping DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) on an electric railway.  Perhaps announce them differently at Paddington, but as Milton Keynes or Bedford services from Reading, or something like that.  

The implication of the service patterns shown in the presentation referred to in post #8 of the Oxford redevelopment thread:  http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=11850.0  is certainly that existing services will now be joined.

Paul
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 21, 2013, 18:59:19 »

Paul don't forget EWR is being electrified

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 21, 2013, 19:45:37 »

Paul don't forget EWR is being electrified

That's what I just wrote - 'full electrification throughout'...  Huh

When GW (Great Western) electrification was news, EWR would still have been DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit). Electrifying both must inevitably lead to better through service possibilities, is what I meant.

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 21, 2013, 20:40:44 »

When GW (Great Western) electrification was news, EWR would still have been DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit). Electrifying both must inevitably lead to better through service possibilities, is what I meant.

And an ideal chance to provide a proper East-West Rail link, by running the Bedford service to/from Bristol in my opinion.  Running it to replace the stopping service to/from Reading will lead to pretty rubbish journey times on through journeys - which, especially post Crossrail, will probably be bettered from Reading to Bedford via London, but I suppose Reading/Didcot will be better destinations than just Oxford, which is why the East-West Rail Consortium have taken that view over the last few years.

Thanks - the additional bay platform isn't yet part of the resignalling plans and is just an option, according to Chris Aldridge on Saturday. i.e. a possible future option, imho, possibly if/when the new through up platform is installed.

Do you mean the new down platform?  Cost and hassle wise installing a new up platform (although allowed for passively in the diagrams) would involve demolishing the concourse - much more likely is a new down platform running behind platform 2 as described in the diagram which would only use land vacated by the closure of Oxford Panel and much less important buildings.  As I said, I think the layout in the diagrams is pretty good:  A new down platform, the current platform 2 becoming bi-directional, an extended bay and new north facing bay, together with revised track layouts and increased speeds - it ticks all the boxes it can now that the station looks like it is staying in its current location.

One final point regarding the development of Oxford station, as ChrisB says, should there just be an extended Platform 3, turnround timings will have to be very short in order to make that work, and, even if it becomes bi-directionally signalled the Jericho Passenger Loop is quite restrictive in that a train arriving/departing from Platform 3 cannot do so at the same time a train arrives/departs from Platform 1.  I can see performance issues in trying to squeeze those extra trains in, even with short dwell times.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
John R

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 21, 2013, 21:34:57 »

I agree running to Bristol would provide a really useful service. The reason the previous Bristol to Oxford service ceased was allegedly down to improving reliability. With 100mph emu stock and the loss of coal traffic to Didcot I would imagine this is less of an issue now.

There would then inevitably be pressure to reopen other stations on the main line, such as Corsham, Royal WB, and maybe Wantage Rd, though these would then make journey times less attractive, and reintroduce the pathing problems eased by having 100mph emu's.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 21, 2013, 22:28:47 »

What is the absolute limit for paths on the two track section between Swindon and Foxhall Junction? Can a 100-110mph service to Oxford be slotted in between the 125mph services from Bristol/South Wales/Cheltenham-London?

Of the latter there are currently 4tph with a fifth every two hours. That is set to increase with IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) to 6/7tph.

Not to forget the odd freight path as well.

Should four-tracking the GWML (Great Western Main Line) between Didcot and Swindon not be considered?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 21, 2013, 22:43:37 »

At 100mph, emu's only lose 7.5 seconds per mile against 125mph running, so 8 miles for a minute lost, thus no more than 3 minutes maximum.  I'd have thought one path an hour could easily be slotted in, given the considerable reduction in freight , as those paths will have been the biggest user of capacity.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 21, 2013, 22:52:03 »

I agree, I'd have thought a 100mph capable EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) service (or even 110mph as looks increasingly likely to be the stock we end up with), could be pathed OK between Swindon and Foxhall, indeed it might be the Chippenham/Bath/Bristol corridor that proves more difficult in that respect.  

That would, as 'John R' says, be the best chance new stations like Corsham, Wootton Bassett and Grove/Wantage have of ever opening as it would be an ideal service to stop at those stations. Grove/Wantage could be built on the 4-track section that already exists to allow faster services to overtake - though a two-track railway might make things a bit more problematic at the other potential stations, though with a of planning and a bit of money a similar looped station could be built at Wootton Bassett.

A through Bristol to Bedford hourly electric service via Oxford would open up so many more journey opportunities, and, if you ask me, is a much more compelling prospect than an all stations Reading to Oxford and onwards to Bedford service.  By all means run the other Milton Keynes service to/from Didcot or Reading, but Bristol to Bedford (and eventually Cambridge/Norwich) ticks so many boxes.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 21, 2013, 22:55:03 »

And an ideal chance to provide a proper East-West Rail link, by running the Bedford service to/from Bristol in my opinion.  Running it to replace the stopping service to/from Reading will lead to pretty rubbish journey times on through journeys - which, especially post Crossrail, will probably be bettered from Reading to Bedford via London, but I suppose Reading/Didcot will be better destinations than just Oxford, which is why the East-West Rail Consortium have taken that view over the last few years.

I think I understand - using the left turn at Foxhall Junction to avoid having to call at Didcot and turn back. I believe the Bristol - Oxford route lasted 4 years until 2004(?), when the SRA» (Strategic Rail Authority - about) asked for it to be closed to avoid congestion. Whether Bristol to Oxford could again be viable is not clear, as there are few intermediate stations and not many people going the full journey. Weston s Mare to Bedford could certainly work, though.

As for four-tracking Swindon to Didcot, I think at some point that will become inevitable. IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) services to Oxford, Bristol, and South Wales, more local services, and an increase in freight paths - partly offset by the end of coal trains to Didcot power station - will mean something will have to be done. But let's have Four Track, Now between Temple Meads and Filton Bank. After that, we can look at Four Track, Then from Swindon.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 21, 2013, 23:07:51 »

As for four-tracking Swindon to Didcot, I think at some point that will become inevitable.

I was just having a quick squizz on google maps to see what this would entail, and was rather delighted to see this trundling down the track...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 21, 2013, 23:15:18 »

The colour, outline and shadow of that kettle makes it look suspiciously like 60163 Tornado.

Only hauling one though....

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 21, 2013, 23:16:43 »

I think I understand - using the left turn at Foxhall Junction to avoid having to call at Didcot and turn back. I believe the Bristol - Oxford route lasted 4 years until 2004(?), when the SRA» (Strategic Rail Authority - about) asked for it to be closed to avoid congestion. Whether Bristol to Oxford could again be viable is not clear, as there are few intermediate stations and not many people going the full journey. Weston s Mare to Bedford could certainly work, though.

I do think there is a suitable market out there.  Not only is there the market for direct journeys between Bristol/Bath and Swindon to Oxford that the old Turbo service provided, but this new service would build on that by also providing direct links from those stations to Bicester Village (and Bicester itself), as well as links to the WCML (West Coast Main Line) and MML» (Midland Main Line. - about) at Bletchley/Milton Keynes/Bedford meaning one easy change to get to places like Northampton and Luton which are poorly served by rail from the west as it stands.

I was just having a quick squizz on google maps to see what this would entail, and was rather delighted to see this trundling down the track...

Though it won't be long before it comes across a log jam of HST (High Speed Train)'s a bit further down the track by Trow Lane Farm.   Wink

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #224 on: May 22, 2013, 11:01:26 »

Do you mean the new down platform?  Cost and hassle wise installing a new up platform (although allowed for passively in the diagrams) would involve demolishing the concourse - much more likely is a new down platform running behind platform 2 as described in the diagram which would only use land vacated by the closure of Oxford Panel and much less important buildings.

No, I did mean up platform - passively provisioned to destroy the concourse, yes.

It is marked as a dotted line on the plans if you look carefully - and as already recognised, Oxford station is about to be redesigned/rebuilt - so probably taking this into account.

The additional bay platform (in red on that plan) is also for that stage. Not to be installed currently when the station is resignalled/rebuilt, but passively allowed for in case it is needed. So not part of the EWR works either. The through up extra line will use an extended platform 3 route through the concourse, so removing the bay platform - which would be replaced by the new bay platform (marked in red) - They'd be built at the same time.

The resignalling is reducing the headways to Didcot to 3 minutes and to Banbury to 6 minutes.

The extra down platform from what Chris said was likely to be part of the resignalling project, hence it being marked as a solid line on that plan. The widening of the Botley Road bridge will mean it taking 'part of' (Chris's words) the YHA building, so not sure what would be left of that!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 43
  Print  

Jump to: