Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
14:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Short Run
10:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
14:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:59 Westbury to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 14:34:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[252] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[91] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[46] underground plans for Bristol update.
[41] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[36] Brabazon, Bristol
[29] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 43
  Print  
Author Topic: Chiltern Evergreen 3 project - ongoing discussion  (Read 353280 times)
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: November 01, 2015, 09:17:06 »

Just to echo II's findings on the 'new' Bicester line and curve. I was surprised he didn't mention the full sized wall display ticket machines at Oxford Parkway.I thought they were advertising posters at first,as they are the same size and brightness as the standard illuminated  poster display panels. I did wonder about security as it seems that all your journey info appears on the screen and can be read at a distance.
My journey took me on to High Wycombe, and a short walk from the rail to the bus station,where I can recommend the Food Fountain with fantastic food and friendly faces. Sorry about the alliteration but I was doing a Leonard Sachs type chairman at an Old Tyme Music hall last night! As my friend and I have concessionary bus passes, we then took the Arriva max 300 to Aylesbury (where my friend espied the Chiltern 121 bubble car) and then another Arriva 280 sapphire double decker back to Oxford rail station via Thame. A lovely day out with the Oxford dark blue brick of Parkway station contrasting very nicely with the Autumn colours of the Chilterns still very much in evidence.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #421 on: November 01, 2015, 09:25:33 »

I did wonder about security as it seems that all your journey info appears on the screen and can be read at a distance.

Is that a problem, really? No card/payment info appears, just journey details. Do you really think that others will read over your shoulder? And does that really matter to most/any?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #422 on: November 01, 2015, 09:49:05 »

I did wonder about security as it seems that all your journey info appears on the screen and can be read at a distance.

Is that a problem, really? No card/payment info appears, just journey details. Do you really think that others will read over your shoulder? And does that really matter to most/any?

Interesting question, ChrisB ... I found myself wondering about privacy / security the other day when the on train ticket inspector on the HST (High Speed Train) read out my journey details aloud (though I'm quite happy to tell you here I was travelling from Didcot to Melksham) ... and I was then concerned on Friday when a lady who claimed to be from Wiltshire Council came to check on our electoral role entry and had an plainly readable list of the addresses she was visiting,  with tics or "n/r" (no reply?) against those she had already been to.    Problem is, I guess, where you draw the line.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #423 on: November 01, 2015, 10:04:42 »

While you're simply a bod on a train (i.e. no personal info visible to others to ID you) - I personally see no problem with non-personal items like a journey being disclosed - unless other info likely to 'interest' others is also being disclosed, I see no problem.....

However, addresses are personal, especially when visible to neighbours who may well know exactly who lives in which house. So no problem with your first example, but I think I might have said something to your lady in the second!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #424 on: November 01, 2015, 10:23:00 »

While you're simply a bod on a train (i.e. no personal info visible to others to ID you) - I personally see no problem with non-personal items like a journey being disclosed - unless other info likely to 'interest' others is also being disclosed, I see no problem.....

I don't particularly want to be latched onto by the inebriated person in the next seat who wants a lift home from the station when he discovers that I, too, an travelling to Melksham,

However, addresses are personal, especially when visible to neighbours who may well know exactly who lives in which house. So no problem with your first example, but I think I might have said something to your lady in the second!

Oh - I've only touched the tip of the iceberg with that story ... matter raised with the local council, who tell us not to trust people on our doorstep who turn up without ID, then (supposedly if she was genuine) send someone around without proper ID ... asking people to sign pieces of paper.   Probably legit, but they really should pracise what they preach.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #425 on: November 01, 2015, 10:37:17 »

I don't particularly want to be latched onto by the inebriated person in the next seat who wants a lift home from the station when he discovers that I, too, an travelling to Melksham,

Guards/TMs(resolve) are just as likely to advise you of connections/times though, so pretty easy for someone?....even if they don't read aloud your ticket. Difficult one that, because a lot of pax appreciate this info.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #426 on: November 01, 2015, 12:58:29 »

It would matter to me when I travel with my bike: if someone sees me load the bike onto the train at Charlbury, and knows I'm travelling to (say) Hereford, they've got a chance of offloading it at an intermediate station. I do try to keep an eye on it where I can, but that's not always possible on an HST (High Speed Train), especially if the thief is smart enough to find a way out at the far end of the platform.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 01, 2015, 13:13:05 »

It would matter to me when I travel with my bike: if someone sees me load the bike onto the train at Charlbury, and knows I'm travelling to (say) Hereford, they've got a chance of offloading it at an intermediate station. I do try to keep an eye on it where I can, but that's not always possible on an HST (High Speed Train), especially if the thief is smart enough to find a way out at the far end of the platform.
In the past I've seen people chain and padlock the bike to the luggage rack to overcome that  Tongue
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 01, 2015, 15:54:18 »

Possibly over sensitive, but I live on my own.  Had to take an assistant at the chemists to task when she asked my address while collecting a prescription and I only gave her the name of the road and not the number.  Now with my name and the road I think she had enough to know it was genuine.  After explaining it to her, she saw my point and now she remembers when I come in!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 01, 2015, 16:00:38 »

Just to echo II's findings on the 'new' Bicester line and curve. I was surprised he didn't mention the full sized wall display ticket machines at Oxford Parkway.I thought they were advertising posters at first,as they are the same size and brightness as the standard illuminated  poster display panels.

I didn't notice them to be honest - didn't need a ticket.  Wink

One other thing I forgot to mention was the multi-lingual announcements for when the train arrives at Bicester Village - two Asian languages, Mandarin one of them presumably?  Nice touch, though I'm sure that will only get those locals that want to keep Bicester's identity even more riled up!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #430 on: November 01, 2015, 20:41:30 »

Mandarin & Japanese
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 02, 2015, 20:42:11 »

I was born in March, in the Year of the Monkey (h^uzi IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly)) and leave you to decide the context. Like Dave, I live at No 10. Also like Dave, I went to Eton.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 21:23:09 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 02, 2015, 20:50:18 »

But you've bought me a pint. Dave never has.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 02, 2015, 20:53:51 »

But you've bought me a pint. Dave never has.

And look forward to so doing again! Dave paid for my daughter's glass of wine once. Michael Foot was the last politician to buy me a pint (see posts passim)

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 02, 2015, 21:10:53 »

I went to Eton.

I've been to Eton too. But I didn't like the pub I found so I walked back across the Town Bridge to Windsor.

No politician has ever bought me a pint. But Tom King did once give me a generous tip.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 43
  Print  

Jump to: