Lochluichart new station opens (link)

Train RunningShort Run
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 02:27:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[216] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[102] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[69] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[66] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[38] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[28] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW summer timetable 2014  (Read 9333 times)
jonboy40

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2014, 14:20:03 »

anyone any ideas when the summer timetable is out for FGW (First Great Western) TRAINS!!!!! Wink
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 14:40:40 »

Hi, Jonboy, and welcome to the forum.

Typically, summer timetables are only available quite close to the date they start - 18th May this year.   Experience has shown that many people pick up and mis-read early timetables and turn up for trains not yet running, and because of that rail industry policy tend to be "leave it late"

Online journey planners WILL give your journeys past that 18th May date, and sites like realtime trains will give you all the proposed departures, train timings, etc, months ahead.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
jonboy40

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 15:23:59 »

hi and thanks to repley , fair enough i will wait , i look to see if any extra trains get added on in devon and cornwall , as i holiday there every summer.

i stay one week in paignton and 2 weeks in newquay Grin

at least the dawlish line is reopen back up , that line is great.
Nibat

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 19:51:32 »

By franchise commitments the timetables must be available in printed format at least 30 days before they start , so they should start to arrive to booking offices sometime next week.  I guess they'll be available online about the same time.

Hope this helps!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 19:32:26 »

Very prescient topic as it turns out. Did our OP (Original Poster / topic starter), jonboy40, have a crystal ball?  Tongue Wink Grin

The May 2014 timetables have today gone onto the FGW (First Great Western) website:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Train-times-and-tickets/Train-times/Timetable-from-18-May-2014

Moderator note: I've taken the liberty of slightly editing the topic subject to remove the question marks, now that we have an answer. bignosemac

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 20:46:21 »

only 4 return trips to okehampton??
jdw.wor
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 22:40:41 »

Every time a new timetable comes out I look with hope and anticipation only to feel disappointed and let down. Why? Because I live in Worcester. The new Cotswold timetable has some dreadful timings still in it. Why is the fastest train from Paddington to Worcester 2hrs 12mins with most around 2hrs 25mins. As an ex operator on  the Southern I will just not accept it is for reliability. The performance bar has been set too low and yet we still see failure to achieve it.
If the timetable is set for reliability why are the weekend timings with fewer trains to cause timing problems just as bad and please, someone tell me why FGW (First Great Western) have been allowed to give one train 31 mins from Slough to Paddington.
These timings offend someone who had to go in front of his Divisional Movements Manager the same day if trains had suffered delay without reasonable cause on his patch.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 07:22:38 »

Good to see that FGW (First Great Western) have bought back the Bath-Bristol-Cardiff timetable so you dont have to consult various timetables to see complete services between Bath and Bristol and Bristol and Cardiff.

Also a new London-Oxford summary timetable.

Not impressed with provision of providing Sunday services details on some timetables either only showing times until a certain date (22nd of June in Central TT 1/1a) or not showing them at all.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 08:53:02 »

too many railworks coming up on Sundays - it'd stretch to many pages
Steve Bray

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 12:49:16 »

I echo the earlier comments made by jdw.wor concerning the anticipation of a new timetable and subsequent let-down when one sees no improvements especially to the Cotswold Line timetable. For the last couple of years, I have given up travelling from Great Malvern to Dorking on a Sunday, because the journey time has become so painfully slow. I may have said this before but there seems to be no aspiration to improve the service.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 15:27:02 »

too many railworks coming up on Sundays - it'd stretch to many pages
That's been the case for years, nothing new there.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 15:57:56 »

and when was the last time they printed full Sunday timetables that weren't subsequently wrong each week?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 17:20:06 »

I see FGW (First Great Western) have decided to remove the large print versions of their timetables from the website, just normal pdfs now:
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Train-times-and-tickets/Train-times/Timetable-from-18-May-2014

Guess there was not enough demand for the large print versions?

Anyway, picked up a copy of the FGW Network Timetable yesterday which I haven't done for a while and was most impressed with the content.

Going back to comments made a few weeks ago between us Chris, I was delighted to see it included a full set of Sunday timetables for each timetable. Yes I know there will be times when they don't apply but many do take into consideration work taking place at various times in the Reading area, Severn Tunnel and between Swindon and Didcot so I'm happy.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 18:17:41 »

Just got hold of mine Grin ... and some good stuff in there;  nice to see train numbers and all the timetables.   Couple of very pedantic questions I would have, but that's a heck of a book to produce.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 18:48:33 »

Just got hold of mine Grin ... and some good stuff in there;  nice to see train numbers and all the timetables.   Couple of very pedantic questions I would have, but that's a heck of a book to produce.
Agreed, that was my thought when looking through it last night that a lot of work has gone into producing it. There must be a market for a complete network timetable as FGW (First Great Western) have been doing them for a few years now.

If I was going to be ultra critical it would be that I didnt appreciate the advert that appeared at numerous times throughout the timetable titled Are you heading in the right direction? Paper is out and digital is in at First Great Western. We want to reduce our carbon footprint.

I am well aware of benefits of digital and am grateful for it in so many ways, but I also like a paper copy of certain things in life. I've paid my ^4 so please don't lecture me. If you want to reduce your carbon footprint FGW why don't you make the Network Timetable available online as a digital edition? Easy to do and a pdf version would be fine. Wouldn't need to go to the trouble of producing a version such as 'flip book.'
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: