16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 16:55:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[231] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[91] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[52] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[48] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[38] underground plans for Bristol update.
[38] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sustainable access to station  (Read 4903 times)
swrural

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2013, 20:34:14 »

Have a look at this article.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10352917._/?

It seems to me that there is a way-too-enthusiastic approach, without the necessary facilities being available for safe use of such access methods.

I should explain that my family lived in the Netherlands, so all this helmets and lycra stuff leaves me (and the Dutch) cold, and I am worried for those who 'indulge' - because at the moment, that's what we are talking about.

Swindon, our above example, has decades of car-mad transport, where many have no idea what walking or cycling along the access ways to the station involve.  The majority of motorists, younger than 70, simply have no concept of the difference between their vehicles' power and those of the cyclists or pedestrians' (shank's pony).

The Bristol ex Lord Mayor, for instance, very sadly lost his son to a cycling collision on the Portway area.

In my then adopted country, people use cycles like you and I would use a car.  All roads have cycleways, only streets do not, but there cycle is simply king.  You don't need 'shower facilities' and all that nonsense in Dutch stations, schools and shops.  People just cycle like walking.  It's not 'Tour de France' there.

Until we can make available more safe routes to stations, I feel we are gratuitously condemning enthusiastic young people to very great danger.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 23:11:03 »

I am cautious about the comparison of a flat country like the Netherlands, with more space per resident allowing for separation of different kinds of road use, and the UK (United Kingdom) with it's often medieval basis for urban road widths and competition for all land use from a dense urban population.  I support public transport and have a family connection to a small bicycle retailer so am happy in theory that we encourage non-car access to the rail network, but for many of us, there are busy country 'B' roads between us and the nearest station with only a limited bus option for those not able/willing to risk it on a bike.

I agree with swrural that we don't need all the 'posing' paraphernalia that surrounds cycling for some people to get in the way of genuine cycling options, but there is not a simple solution in a crowded country.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 23:34:14 »

Having seen the cycling culture in Amsterdam I agree with swrural that it seems to be completely different to that in the UK (United Kingdom), and certainly the environment there is somewhat more friendly to cyclists than in Swindon. Having said that, my employer in Swindon centre has recently needed to change the facilities for cyclists, amongst many other radical changes to office facilities, and the cycle issue has probably been the most contentious. So there is clearly a demand from those who already cycle in to work in Swindon, including one of my managerial staff who is definitely not a lycra clad poser.

London has seen, sadly, what happens when cycle use is encouraged, with many deaths, and a belated acceptance (after a long campaign from the Times) that more needs to be done to make the cycle routes safer where they interface with roads and particularly junctions. I don't think we should discourage a move towards cycle use, but it does need to be done in a way that is as safe as possible, particularly in towns, where changes to the infrastructure are more likely to be viable. 
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 08:19:23 »

A lot of Dutch commuters own two bikes - one to take them from home to the station while the other lives at their destination station to take them from there to work. The Dutch don't go in for anything fancy - their bikes are very traditional "sit-up-and-beg".
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 08:57:11 »

The infrastructure for cycling in Swindon is very good in my opinion.  I cycle three miles every day and less than half of the route is shared with cars.  It is also interesting to note that it takes me just under 15 minutes while the lack of a direct route and the one way system means a car takes nearer 20.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 10:03:24 »

Half the problem is that, as said above - we are car-mad and have narrower, more congested highways, cyclists aren't taught how to interface with traffic, which is necessary until we can grade separate routes as in the Netherlands.

EG - cyclists should *never* go up the inside of trucks at junctions. Hang back, or pass them as if you are driving, i.e. on their outside, not their inside. It's hardly their fault they have blind spots. This needs teaching - how about a highway code for cyclists?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 10:13:55 »

The highway code does have a section for cyclists  https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71

I had an example of cycle rage the other day while out on my bike.  I was waiting for the lights to change and the cyclist behind me obviously thought the red light did not apply to him.  After a bit of shouting and bell-ringing the lights changed. He then tried to pass me as we went up the hill.  It was at this point he realised..... I have an electric bike.   Grin
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 10:42:37 »

Bet the truck thing isn't mentioned....needs updating & issuing as a cyclist-only publication..
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 11:00:22 »

It is...

Pay particular attention to long vehicles which need a lot of room to manoeuvre at corners. Be aware that drivers may not see you. They may have to move over to the right before turning left. Wait until they have completed the manoeuvre because the rear wheels come very close to the kerb while turning. Do not be tempted to ride in the space between them and the kerb.

Give plenty of room to long vehicles on the roundabout as they need more space to manoeuvre. Do not ride in the space they need to get round the roundabout. It may be safer to wait until they have cleared the roundabout.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 11:37:22 »

73 is quite explicit, isn't it?!
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 12:12:44 »

Good discussion, thanks.  We are impressed with Taunton, which is relatively flat and has developed good cycle connections, including an overbridge to the otherwise inconveniently situated OOT shopping centre.  Good to hear Swindon is doing well on that front too.  If cycling can be made a success in Bristol or Bath, it can so made anywhere.

My daughter in NL has a 'bakfiets' as well as ordinary cycles.  This is a three wheeler with a wheelbarrow-like front, in which the shopping, toddler and baby sons are accommodated.  They were formerly used by bakers' delievery boys.  In fact NL is not all flat by any means and in any case, the wind screams at you from the North Sea, once out in the country.  My daughter used to cycle 13 kms to secondary school and the children used to take it in turns to ride 'point' to take the force of the wind, like geese do.   At least they had their own right of way though.  Dutch girls are tough, don't dare mess with 'em!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: