Train RunningShort Run
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
02/05/24 05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 01:50:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[62] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] underground plans for Bristol update.
[46] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[41] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[40] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Junction for the West Somerset Railway  (Read 15229 times)
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2009, 12:02:13 »

I would visit the WSR much more if the trains started at Taunton. 

the bus link adds to the hassle and trips the balance in favour of going somewhere else for a day out
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2009, 14:17:10 »

It won't be a class 67 as present either...
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2009, 16:13:32 »

According to the WSR news site it's to be "ex-Virgin" (not totally sure what they mean by that, unless they're alluding to the ones that have been repainted for operations like the ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) loco-hauled set) class 57/3s, with the trains operated by First GBRf.

Having the stock stabled and serviced at Bishops Lydeard by WSR seems like an innovative and elegant MO to me.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2009, 18:55:50 »

Two Virgin liveried 57s  arrived at Eastleigh yesterday. The 'word on the platform' was that they are to be repainted for use somewhere.  All over dark blue perhaps, just like the ones that aren't in full ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) colours?

Paul
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2009, 19:51:10 »

I would visit the WSR much more if the trains started at Taunton. 

the bus link adds to the hassle and trips the balance in favour of going somewhere else for a day out

I expect most people come by car, or have driven to Minehead already, so I doubt it would vastly increase passengers.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2009, 20:15:33 »

Actually, if you read back through previous posts on this particular topic, you will note that the majority of our members posting here would visit the WSR more, if there was a rail connection from Taunton. Myself included.

We only resort to driving there because there isn't such a rail connection.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2009, 20:32:34 »

and that road just isnt fun!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2009, 20:38:52 »

Actually, if you read back through previous posts on this particular topic, you will note that the majority of our members posting here would visit the WSR more, if there was a rail connection from Taunton. Myself included.
Yes I am one of them who would visit Minehead more if the rail link to Taunton was restored.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2009, 21:14:54 »

Two Virgin liveried 57s  arrived at Eastleigh yesterday. The 'word on the platform' was that they are to be repainted for use somewhere.  All over dark blue perhaps, just like the ones that aren't in full ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) colours?

Paul

Engine overhauls!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2009, 17:05:34 »

We only resort to driving there because there isn't such a rail connection.  Roll Eyes

That may be true, and don't get me wrong - I think there should be a connection. But Joe Bloggs family go everywhere by car. I would imagine that <10% of WSR people arrive by car. With a rail link, it would only encourage a few more.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2009, 17:21:33 »

I would imagine that <10% of WSR people arrive by car.

Que?

That doesn't even make much sense if you use a "greater than" symbol instead of the "less than"  Huh  Roll Eyes
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2009, 20:33:24 »

As someone who visited the WSR this year for the Mixed Traffic Gala  - the hydraulics were the main attraction for me, not Tornado  Wink  - I would like to reassure posters who may be put off by the comments about transferring from Taunton to the WSR. In the worst case scenario, the cost of a taxi to Bishop's Lydeard from Taunton is not that much when divided by 4 passengers but, as previous posters have said, during special events a WSR shuttle supplements the regular bus service. That's all you need as getting to Minehead can and should be done on the WSR itself.

The railway itself is fantastic and I can't recommend it highly enough; there's a super atmosphere, thanks to volunteers and staff, who couldn't be more obliging or welcoming, and so much to see and enjoy along the whole length of the line.

As far as I could gather from a few conversations with staff at Taunton and on the WSR, relations between the railway and NR» (Network Rail - home page) seem to be characterised by respect and goodwill. Hopefully, at some point progress will be made at least towards establishing an interchange to enable connections - at Norton Fitzwarren or at Taunton.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 07:35:19 by Andy » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2009, 20:43:20 »

Thanks, Andy!

Yes: just to clarify, I think the general concern here is over the lack of a rail connection between Taunton and Bishops Lydeard.

When I drive there, I only drive to Bishops Lydeard - I certainly wouldn't 'waste my time' driving to MineheadRoll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2009, 20:54:34 »

I've travelled on the WSR many moons ago when staying with a friend in Minehead so I can't comment on the current situation that accurately.

But if there is the possibility of the WSR getting back into Taunton it seems, from a distance, crazy they're not looking at it.

Surely any heritage railway that can get a connection with BR (British Rail(ways)) should be looking at it.
TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2009, 00:21:47 »

Unfortunately, as with many things these days, there are just some many issues to overcome no matter how much the WSR would love to be providing a service to Taunton.

For example, if they should want to run a service into Taunton, they'll need to undertake a full safely case, hire in Mark 3 stock from somewhere, train up all of their operational staff that operate on the mainline to have a full PTS (Personal Track Safety) certificate, pay Network Rail for track access, pay a driver, guard and signalmen to cover any shifts that can't be covered by volunteers etc. etc. In short, it won't be cheap.

On the other hand, if a TOC (Train Operating Company) were to run onto the WSR, would a service from the main line only as far as Bishops Lydeard be worth it? Would a TOC want to tie up valuable mainline stock for 2 hours running at 25mph for the 40 mile round trip to Minehead? Would the WSR want to give up the paths over their track during the high summer season when there are very few spare (and none at all during special events)? And the infrastructure maintenance happen that's currently undertaken by volunteers on non running days - when would this happen if trains were running year round?

And whatever happens, what if some failure of WSR Infrastructure or other caused delays to mainline trains? How much would they have to pay in fines to other TOCs?

Many Heritage Railways barley get by financially, even the big ones can make ends meet because the vast majority of their workforce are volunteers. Any mainline operation could very easy bankrupt a heritage railway so the WSR are very right to be utlra caushus and not rush into a operating a service to Taunton.

TLM
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: