Train RunningShort Run
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
02/05/24 05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 01:36:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[62] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] underground plans for Bristol update.
[46] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[41] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[40] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another increase in unregulated fares  (Read 15995 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 07:36:27 »

Now.... FGW (First Great Western) have introduced a new 'flow' on May 20th. 'Via Newbury'. For stations east of Castle Cary and in Wiltshire. (Bruton, Frome, Westbury, Trowbridge, Bradford-on-Avon, Avoncliff, Freshford) This new 'flow' now has fares priced cheaper (by as much as 25%) than the previously only available 'Any Permitted'.

As an occasional traveller from London to Westbury, I've found the previous fares rather high and indeed the changes (at a first glance) on this line look like a step in the right direction - towards bringing them more into line with the main lines that run across the north and south of Wiltshire.

Just two weeks ago, writing about split tickets, I noted for this journey:
17:33 -> 18:59, 84.00 can be reduced to 36.20 with a split at Newbury
17:45 -> 19:27, 84.00 can be reduced to 68.90 with a split at Swindon (change trains there)
18:06 -> 19:52, 84.00 can be reduced to 27.20 with a split at Theale
18:33 -> 20:04, 39.00 can be reduced to 32.60 with a split at Pewsey

Now, and without split ticketing:
17:33 - 35.60
17:45 - 84.00
18:06 - 35.60
18:33 - 35.60
Anytime single dropped from 84.00 to 74.00 on all trains except 17:45 which is via Swindon
Off Peak fares now offered on 17:33, 18:06 and 18:33

I note that the 74.00 is also valid from Trowbridge in the morning - 06:47 change at Westbury, but the fare from Melksham, joining that same train 10 minutes earlier, is 84.00 - an eye-watering 10 pounds supplement for an extra 6 miles or so (1.66 per mile) - and you'll still do better splitting if you're making that journey.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2012, 13:44:11 »

To think that FGW (First Great Western) must employ people to dream up ways of fleecing commuters by raising fares.

At least some fares have come down - but overall, fares have risen. Combined with the great XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) train robbery, the South West of England is getting further away from the rest of the UK (United Kingdom). When will it end?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2012, 17:03:04 »

To think that FGW (First Great Western) must employ people to dream up ways of fleecing commuters by raising fares.

At least some fares have come down - but overall, fares have risen. Combined with the great XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) train robbery, the South West of England is getting further away from the rest of the UK (United Kingdom). When will it end?

Sorry - but to a very great extent I'm supportive of much of the stuff that First are doing - AIUI (as I understand it), raising fares on journeys which are price well below their average in pence per mile, and lowering them for journeys which are priced well above their average.  I'm not suggesting an ultimate goal of the same number of pence per mile, but situations which held on the Hants and Berks where the Westbury fare was 3 times the Bedwyn fare on the same train in pence per mile, and yet the train was virtually empty from Bedwyn to Westbury (I wonder why!) were long overdue to be addressed.  Business case wise, it makes sense to lower prices where there is plenty of capacity (e.g. Newbury to Westbury in the evening) and raise prices where there is a lack of capaity and fares are dramatically below the norm in pence per mile.

Now - here's a sobering thought for everyone.  Only regulated fares are regulated.  So - come the next franchise, it's quite possible for it to be "all change" on many of the fares and systems - perhaps offering additional incentives to load trains, or perhaps slashing back on many of the unregulated and lower fares.  I have read comments that say "we want First to carry on because they provide xxxxx fare which is rather good value for us.  Sorry - I don't think that understanding of the situation is correct.  Whoever wins, regulated fares are unregulated and what anyone considers good for a 7 year franchise with 1% growth forecast may take a different view in a 15 year franchise with a history of 8% growth.

But I do have to admit I've been impressed by the very reasonable rail fares where I'm on holiday this week, and it ain't England.  The fare last Saturday was good enough to persuade us all to take the train today, rather than driving.  And in doing so, we occupied seats that would otherwise have been empty, saved petrol, arrived more relaxed, and made some good friends on the train.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2012, 17:21:59 »

I suppose that anomaly is because of the NSE (Network South East) border.

Another one is Swindon and Didcot, although more splitting is available.

Of course, this all comes back to the fact that the fares need a complete overhaul. Yes, some will go up more than others, but at least it'll be consistent.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2012, 18:03:06 »

I should just point out that FGW (First Great Western) haven't lowered any fares in the current round. They've introduced a new 'flow'.

In practical terms for Joe Punter in Trowbridge that does mean that his trip to London can now be cheaper. But if he wishes route flexibility then the price is unchanged.

And it appears that the good folk of Devon & Cornwall may well now be paying extra for their regulated Super Off Peak Returns (which has pushed up the Off Peak Single/Return as well) to give folks in East Somerset and parts of Wiltshire some cheaper fares.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: