2nd May (1999)
Last special train to Weymouth Quay (*)

Train RunningShort Run
18:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
19:15 Penzance to Bristol Temple Meads
20:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 22:42 Exeter St Davids to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 23:55:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[245] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[75] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[56] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[43] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[40] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[32] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: First 150/1 has arrived at FGW  (Read 11731 times)
dmutony

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2010, 06:29:11 »

The first of the 150/1's (150125) arrived at spm last night from LM (London Midland - recent franchise) ready for a safety exam before being used in service it still carries LM livery and has the old 2+3 seating but overall the general condition of the set is very good.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 10:21:56 »

Also 172004 has entered service today.The caption states "which will replace the current shabby Class 150 Diesel Multiple Units."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/juliang2006/4801870117/
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 12:49:58 »

Also 172004 has entered service today.The caption states "which will replace the current shabby Class 150 Diesel Multiple Units."

the LO 150/1's are shabby but the LM (London Midland - recent franchise) 150/1's are in alot better condition probably as a result of the better maintenance at tyseley over the years
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 22:10:02 »

The first of the 150/1's (150125) arrived at spm last night from LM (London Midland - recent franchise) ready for a safety exam before being used in service.....
....which it has done and is currently allox 2C34 22:15 Bristol TM(resolve) - Westbury.

Trundling gently round the SW
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 22:25:52 »

Hang on, how can LM (London Midland - recent franchise) suddenly spare a unit? Are they going to short form a diagram during peaks?

Let's hope the LO service does't go above 43 mph - I've heard that they choke if any higher speeds are attempted!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 22:47:16 »

God help you all

I spent five years adding 1 hour onto local journeys just to avoid them

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 23:10:35 »

Quite - the 172s are delayed, and are plagued with problems. They are going to have to rip out seats to sort it out. Overcrowding is already 116% on the Snow Hill lines; with 30+ fewer seats per train, and no extra carriages, this is going to become the new sardine express! Minus the express bit, as longer dwell times will cancel out any gains with acceleration improvements. (if indeed there are any!)
willc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 00:43:14 »

the LO 150/1's are shabby but the LM (London Midland - recent franchise) 150/1's are in alot better condition probably as a result of the better maintenance at tyseley over the years

I wouldn't get too carried away. There are plenty of LM sets that are in the bag of spanners category, just lovely being shaken to bits climbing the banks on the way from Stratford into Birmingham,
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 09:29:55 »

Quite - the 172s are delayed, and are plagued with problems.

Only one, as I understand it - the exhaust system.....
Chiltern's 172s massively delayed - a *start* on them isn't likely until the middle of next year....
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 12:27:59 »

Hang on, how can LM (London Midland - recent franchise) suddenly spare a unit? Are they going to short form a diagram during peaks?

LM can spare at least one unit, as they've had a 150 on loan to LO for the last six weeks.  That one may have been returned at the weekend now that the first 172 is in service.

Paul
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 20:13:09 »

Quite - the 172s are delayed, and are plagued with problems.

Only one, as I understand it - the exhaust system.....
Chiltern's 172s massively delayed - a *start* on them isn't likely until the middle of next year....

The exhaust system is apparently causing excessive 'back pressure' at the turbocharger outlet which reduces the inlet manifold boost pressure provided by the turbo. The engine governor therefore cuts back the fuelling and by defenition the power output.  The long term fix is going to be remove the rather sinuous system currently fitted round the solebars at the back end of each coach and re-route it straight up through the saloon in a suitable duct (a la Voyager & class 185) which can be done with the loss of one seat.

150125 currently happily chugging off to Cheltenham (2E29) as I type this..
 Grin

dmutony

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 07:06:24 »

150125 currently sat in spm as i left work this morning been out for two days with no fault!!!
159jim

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 21:45:42 »

London Midland no 150125 has been passed over to FGW (First Great Western) for the Summer holidays. (I'm guessing this is covering one of the 142's going back to Northern?)
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 21:52:26 »

Thanks for the info 159james! In the interests of continuity, I'm going to merge your post into the thread we already have covering the arrival of the 150/1s at FGW (First Great Western)  Smiley
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 09:54:13 »

London Midland no 150125 has been passed over to FGW (First Great Western) for the Summer holidays. (I'm guessing this is covering one of the 142's going back to Northern?)
No 142's returning to Northern at this point in time. I understand 150125 replaces 150281 which is returning to ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))).

150125 is quite a sprightly little thing too!
 Grin

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: