Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:12 Frome to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 07:22:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[203] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[153] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[65] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[62] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[36] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[26] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas/New Year peak restrictions  (Read 17869 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2014, 22:00:18 »

You may well be right that I won't get anywhere complaining about overcharging. The not caring attitude likely continues beyond those responsible for ensuring correct tickets are sold at the correct price and further up the chain of command.

And if we have a FGW (First Great Western) Customer Panel member saying it's pointless raising issues of overcharging, then that is further evidence of a 'couldn't care' attitude.

So it seems that, complaining to FGW - pointless. Raising the issue with my Customer Panel rep - pointless. Taking the issue to Passenger Focus - pointless. If you're unknowingly (on your part, but most definitely knowingly on the part of FGW) overcharged, then tough titty it would seem. FGW will overcharge you simply because they can't be arsed to program their TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) to sell the correct ticket at the correct price over the festive period. Yet they can program their ticket office and online systems. There is simply no excuse for not doing likewise to the TVMs.

Forgive me for the following harsh assessment, but it really pisses me off that such attitudes towards customers pervade.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2014, 08:29:30 »

True, but that's a different discussion

It wasn't that many years ago that all TOCs (Train Operating Company) used to charge full peak fares between Xmas & New Year. Passenger power finally saw the end of that. Wish all TOCs would see the light
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2014, 08:44:06 »

BNM, your assuming that you are the first person to be raising these points.

I should have mentioned (excuse me, my mind gas been elsewhere as my mother died on Xmas Eve) that your valid points were indeed raised back when both Chiltern, and then FGW (First Great Western), finally saw the light and accepted a passenger view that it wasn't moral to be charging peak fares if they were running anything but a full weekday service.

So passengers won the concession, but after full discussion over making these concession fares available across all sales outlets, it was obvious that it wasn't going to happen. It was ticket office only originally. They've managed to get online sales right it seems at last.

As you know, all fares have sales codes attached, and TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) software uses these to determine which fares are valid at any particular time, so as not to sell them when they aren't valid.

The software is nowhere as comprehensive as that used by the websites, and without, I'm pretty sure, upgrading the TVMs innards, using similar large scale software can't happen.

For 3 or 4 days a year, whdn only a few TOCs (Train Operating Company) are offering the concession, the cost is prohibitive. Do we want the concession available across some methods, or possibly the removal of said concession (which would then meet your requirement, but be a backward step)

You might not think the latter possible, I do. It really is purely a concession. Most TOCs don't offer it. Those that do could easily face their customers down. They might insert the odd peak train (FGW already do). It would be very easy for those who offer to remove it, to be able to meet your demand.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2014, 09:47:08 »

On behalf of the admin/moderator team, may I offer you condolences on your loss ChrisB?  There is never a good time for these things, but Christmas is certainly a very hard time to experience a bereavement.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2014, 11:07:27 »

They might insert the odd peak train (FGW (First Great Western) already do).
If some FGW trains are still classed as peak despite the lifting of the restrictions then it would have been helpful if this had been stated in Christmas/New Year leaflet.  Which trains are these?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 11:18:14 by Zo^ » Logged
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2014, 12:13:30 »

It's the same every year. No one has previously raised major complains.
I would suspect that 95% of passengers don't actually know the correct fare for the journey they make, therefore very few will actually know they have been overcharged and therefore complaints will be low.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2014, 18:08:48 »

Zoe - sorry, whT I meant is that some operators simply operate a Sarurday service (with the odd extra stop in some services (like SWT (South West Trains), Chiltern). Others like FGW (First Great Western) include the odd extra train in peak hours to soak up the few commuters. But all services run are not time restricted at all, meaning no peak fares

Appreciate the thoughts, Guys :-)
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2014, 18:14:06 »

If the ticket office is closed and the machine is only offering peak fares (due to the time), are you expected to pay the full peak fare and claim a refund or would an off peak ticket be sold on the train?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2014, 18:24:07 »

Buy on the train. There ought to be signage on each machine
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2014, 18:47:39 »

Out this morning. No signage on the machine at Filton Abbey Wood.  Roll Eyes

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2014, 18:53:27 »

That will definitely be taken forward
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2015, 10:14:12 »

Thanks to BNM for (re)directing me to this thread as I couldn't find it before - just to say having read this thread, I asked my partner what tickets she had gotten from the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) on Monday-Wednesday between Christmas and New Year, and she confirmed they were all Anytimes. I said that she could have gotten Off-Peaks if I understood correctly, so clarified with BNM who confirmed that to be the case. There were no notices on the machine. We'll be contacting FGW (First Great Western) to see what they have to say.

I certainly don't have a good grasp on the train fares as I am sure I have indicated a number of times, but my partner even less so as she uses them much less frequently than I do. I do have to wonder just how many people travelled on the Anytime tickets during the de-restriction period. I am very much tempted to drop a note to our local magazine....
sprinterguard

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2015, 10:21:31 »

I do have to wonder just how many people travelled on the Anytime tickets during the de-restriction period.

From the tickets I checked over the off-peak Christmas period, plenty....

All opinions are my own.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2015, 10:44:35 »

Thanks to BNM for (re)directing me to this thread as I couldn't find it before - just to say having read this thread, I asked my partner what tickets she had gotten from the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) on Monday-Wednesday between Christmas and New Year, and she confirmed they were all Anytimes. I said that she could have gotten Off-Peaks if I understood correctly, so clarified with BNM who confirmed that to be the case. There were no notices on the machine. We'll be contacting FGW (First Great Western) to see what they have to say.

I certainly don't have a good grasp on the train fares as I am sure I have indicated a number of times, but my partner even less so as she uses them much less frequently than I do. I do have to wonder just how many people travelled on the Anytime tickets during the de-restriction period. I am very much tempted to drop a note to our local magazine....

Not good enough, is it!  Undecided

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2015, 11:32:16 »

If the ticket office is closed and the machine is only offering peak fares (due to the time), are you expected to pay the full peak fare and claim a refund or would an off peak ticket be sold on the train?

I was expected to pay the wrong fare at the ticket office the other day due to ignorance of the rules and a refusual point blank to help further (not FGW (First Great Western) land mind). I would have used the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) but it was only showing selected fares.

I have raised the issue with the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s customer services. I could have also mentioned the apparent lack of the words "hello, goodbye, please and thank you" in this person's vocabulary but didn't want to dilute my point.

It's the attitude (as BNM mentioned) and contrary stance which really grates.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: