Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:12 Frome to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 07:31:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[203] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[153] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[65] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[62] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[36] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[26] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Thomas the Tank Engine goes global for new film  (Read 7692 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: April 06, 2016, 21:10:46 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Thomas the Tank Engine goes global for new film

Thomas the Tank Engine competes against the new international engines at the Great Railway Show in the film The Great Race

Thomas the Tank Engine is getting a multicultural makeover with the introduction of trains from around the world.

Engines from India, Russia and China among others are being introduced in a new film The Great Race.

The new engines are due to only feature in the film and won't be appearing in future TV episodes.

The producer of the film has denied claims the filmmakers had bowed to political correctness.

Ian McCue told the Telegraph: "The intention was to create this big global racing event and make it feel real. I would hope it will get youngsters asking about foreign countries."

Flying Scotsman represents the UK (United Kingdom) in the Thomas film The Great Race

The Great Race is the eleventh animated feature film for Thomas and the new characters are likely increase interest from international markets.

It is released worldwide from May 2016.

In the Great Race Thomas competes against the new international engines at the Great Railway Show.

The Flying Scotsman represents the UK, while Thomas competes to represent the island of Sodor where he lives.

Here are the new trains with their official biographies.

There are two engines from India in the film called Ashima and Rajiv.

Ashima of India is hand painted

Fearless Ashima comes from the Nilgiri Mountain Railway in Southern India, which is dangerous and difficult to climb.

Rajiv's beautiful colours make him the perfect contender for the Best Decorated Engine Parade

Rajiv is a small tank engine from the East Indian Railway, who carries passengers and goods from Calcutta in the east up to the north of India.

Carlos of Mexico is the life and soul of the Great Railway Show

Based on a Nacionale De Mexico 903 2-8-0, Carlos of Mexico is a proud and happy steam engine from the heart of Mexico.

Axel of Belgium is effortlessly cool

Based on a SNCB Type 12.004, Axel of Belgium is a smooth streamlined tender engine built for speed.

Etienne of France is a formidable engine

Etienne of France is based on the SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) DC (Direct Current) BB 9004, he is a fast electric locomotive who has been setting world speed records in his home country.

Frieda of Germany has come to show that anything boys can do, girls can do better

Based on a DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about) Class 10 001-002, Frieda of Germany will be entering the Strongest Engine race in the film.

Gina of Italy is described as 'sweet and stylish'

Gina of Italy is based on the Locomotiva FNM 200-05 and she can match the boys pound for pound when it comes to shunting freight in the yard.

Ivan of Russia is said to be a real comedian

Based on a TGM 23, Ivan of Russia is the only Diesel locomotive competing in the Great Railway Show.

Raul of Brazil is a strong and agile shunter

Raul of Brazil looks like a diesel but he is in fact a steam engine based on a Sentinel 7109.

Shane of Australia loves to have fun and his carefree ways have made him many friends

Based on a SteamRanger 520 Sir Malcolm Barclay Harvey, Shane of Australia is one of the Whispering Giants of the South Australian Railway - a big strong steam engine who was built for passenger and mixed freight work.

Yong Bao of China is a kind and faithful tender engine

Based on an RM Class 4-6-2, Yong Bao of China once cleverly diverted an accident, saving hundreds of passengers and was decorated for his bravery and painted bright red, which is a colour that symbolises celebration and happiness.

Racing Vinnie of North America is not to be messed with

Racing Vinnie of North America is big and strong but his competitive nature could be his downfall.

No national stereotypes there, then.  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 22:54:12 »

What national stereotypes?

Cool Belgians? Russian comedians? Faithful Chinese?

Also, who are making the claims of political correctness? The Telegraph fail to mention that. Perhaps because it is they doing so.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 23:17:03 »

From the Telegraph:

Allison Pearson: I shuddered to read Thomas the Tank Engine books - even before they went multicultural

As a rule, attempts to update much-loved classics are doomed to failure, or at least to embarrassing naffness. When it comes to Thomas the Tank Engine, however, all new twists are welcome. I used to think the Thomas books were delightful, and then I had children. Reading the prose of the Reverend W. Awdry was to know what it would have been like if Enid Blyton had been demonically possessed by Ian Paisley. What on earth motivates the adults of the world ^not just the English-speaking ones ^ to go on buying Thomas books and paraphernalia? And why do kids go on demanding them?

In a word, trains. Anything you can push around on a track seems to speak to the depths of the childish mind. I accept that. But if you must push an engine around and make chuffing noises, why does it have to come from an island that bears the immortally unfortunate name of Sodor?

Everything about the place is deeply sinister. Various bad-tempered males called James and Gordon keep shunting one another into sidings, while the Fat Controller, who sounds like someone who escaped from a first draft of an Orwell novel, bosses them around. And, worst of all, they seem to like it. Nothing is more calculated to turn our darling offspring into little demagogues.

So, I say it^s high time for a reboot. Enter Mattel, whose Thomas toys earn more than 500 million quid every year. Conscious of its global responsiblities, Mattel has decided to broaden the appeal of the range. On top of his cranky British pals, Thomas will now have 14 new friends from other countries, eager to be coupled. Each comes equipped with a broadly smiling face and a full set of steam-powered ethnic stereotypes.

Yong Bao of China, for instance, is ^driven to achieve and make progress^, whereas Carlos of Mexico is ^proud^ presumably proud enough to knock down any walls built by Donald of America. Raul of Brazil is described as ^feisty^ and ^strong^, although if the news from Brazil is anything to go by, he may soon be forced off the tracks by frustrated passengers who are even stronger and feistier than he is.

All this is excellent news. It can only mean that Sodor will become a more democratic spot. Anything to hasten the day when the Fat Controller is overthrown, or at any rate goes on the Dukan diet. Also, to judge by the publicity photos, the flirtatious look that long-lashed Ashima of India is throwing at our hero may simply be too much for the old boy. ^New from Mattel: Thomas, with Real Exploding Boiler! Watch Him Go Loco!^

No word, as yet, on whether we can expect a Karlheinz of Germany, but if he doesn^t start ramming poor Yanis of Greece and telling him to lose half his carriages or else the whole island will hit the buffers, I want my money back.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 04:00:03 »

Ahhh... Allison Pearson. Aka Phillipa Column.

Editor's brief: Nothing to say in 1000 words or less, please.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 07:00:24 »

I'm not a fan of these CGI (Computer-generated imagery) remakes - some things, in my opinion, are just not right. It's like Thunderbirds without strings or Crossroads without wobbly sets.

Oh, and does Ringo Starr do the voiceover?! (Yes, I know he wasn't the only voice for the TV series but he is the one I associate with it.

Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 10:57:11 »

I presume formidable Etienne is bi-mode... Wink
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 10:58:57 »

I presume formidable Etienne is bi-mode... Wink

Oooo-eeerrrr missus!
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 11:00:49 »

I think Axel of Belgium is nothing more than Buzz Lightyear hit from behind by a locomotive...
TeaStew

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 11:25:15 »

I'm not a fan of these CGI (Computer-generated imagery) remakes - some things, in my opinion, are just not right. It's like Thunderbirds without strings or Crossroads without wobbly sets.

Oh, and does Ringo Starr do the voiceover?! (Yes, I know he wasn't the only voice for the TV series but he is the one I associate with it.

Quite agree with all this. These newer versions actually look less real to me - and far too clean  Undecided

BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 11:28:44 »

Quite agree with all this. These newer versions actually look less real to me - and far too clean  Undecided

Bring back "Muffin the Mule" I say..
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 18:15:34 »

I'm almost certain that's an Offence .
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 19:07:12 »

I'm almost certain that's an Offence .

It is most def politically incorrect nowadays but - I believe - still goes on in places
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 19:26:41 »

What I think is most important with this CGI (Computer-generated imagery) Thomas film and the current CGI TV series' is the target audience.

I've not heard any complaints from the near 3 year old nephew who watches the latest series' with me. Yes, I miss the original live action models, sets, and Ringo Starr/Michael Angelis, but those series' are still available from many outlets. I see nothing wrong with the latest iteration of Thomas & Friends. CGI allows for far more locations and storylines than the limitations of a studio set.

I'm fairly certain that my nephew will enjoy the upcoming film and care not one jot about what adults think of the show.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 19:41:04 »

What I think is most important with this CGI (Computer-generated imagery) Thomas film and the current CGI TV series' is the target audience.

I've not heard any complaints from the near 3 year old nephew who watches the latest series' with me. Yes, I miss the original live action models, sets, and Ringo Starr/Michael Angelis, but those series' are still available from many outlets. I see nothing wrong with the latest iteration of Thomas & Friends. CGI allows for far more locations and storylines than the limitations of a studio set.

I'm fairly certain that my nephew will enjoy the upcoming film and care not one jot about what adults think of the show.

Yes BnM you are most probably right but one slightly different topic have you seen the signalling arrangements in Chuggington? Imagine to give SandTEngineer heart failure!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 20:56:05 »

Yes BnM you are most probably right but one slightly different topic have you seen the signalling arrangements in Chuggington? Imagine to give SandTEngineer heart failure!
OK I'll bite. What signalling is that?............ Tongue Shocked
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: