Lochluichart new station opens (link)

Train RunningShort Run
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 02:39:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[216] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[102] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[69] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[66] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[38] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[28] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dr Liam Fox MP (North Somerset) takes the (s)train !  (Read 3436 times)
chuffed

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2016, 09:40:25 »

Caught FGW (First Great Western) 1248 from Paignton to Yatton yesterday. 2 coaches full by Teignmouth. At ExeterSt Davids, the front coach removed leaving us with a single carriage 153 that had a refurbished interior looking like a 158. Guard tried to persuade people to leave the train for a more direct journey to Temple Meads by explaining the faster XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) would be accepting GWR (Great Western Railway) tickets, but very few availed themselves of this. Train laboured up through Devon and Somerset becoming more and more full until it got to the stage where i was reminded of the famous  1846 Punch cartoon 'Changing trains at Gloucester'. (A copy is displayed at the Lord John Russell Wetherspoons in Stroud).
We were sidelined at Yatton ( literally) to let the following XC to pass. As I disembarked who should I see but a very discomfited Dr Liam Fox with large suitcase, who had just seen his XC connection at TM(resolve) fly by!. I asked him if he was going to be contacting Mark Hopwood about this and he said 'Too right!. I imagine he was even more put out by having to travel in this single coach carriage where he was probably set upon by  even more disgruntled passengers ......and no place to sit down!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 11:49:04 by chuffed » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 09:58:36 »

Anyone else think, based on the thread title, they were going to be reading about DJ Neil Fox, previously known as Dr Fox?  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 11:22:27 »

Anyone else think, based on the thread title, they were going to be reading about DJ Neil Fox, previously known as Dr Fox?  Grin
Yup
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 14:35:28 »

I see the thread titled has now been amended so readers are no longer foxed.  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 14:37:54 »

I am sure the good doctor was asking 'What the Fox was going on yesterday?' Roll Eyes
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 20:22:09 »

In the interests of clarity, I've further expanded the heading of this topic to make it clear what we are discussing here.  Wink

And, as an aside, Dr Liam Fox is very familiar with Yatton Station - see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=444.0

I had the pleasure of meeting him there, when he officially opened the excellent Strawberry Line cafe.  Cheesy

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: