Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
14:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Short Run
10:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
10:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
14:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:59 Westbury to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 14:00:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[222] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[103] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[52] underground plans for Bristol update.
[46] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[41] Brabazon, Bristol
[33] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Booked DMU formations on Cornwall for low summer  (Read 6480 times)
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2011, 16:51:38 »

Problems in Cornwall....
Last week
2 x 150 on the StIves
2x 150 on the Falmouth
1 x 150 on the Newquay
1x 150 on the Looe

This week
1x 150 on the St Ives
3 x 153 on the Fal. 2 x 153 + 1 x153 although ones failed on two days so far this week
1 x 153 on the Newquay and the same on the Looe.

Biggest problem is on the Falmouth where passengers, including me once, have been left behind on several occasions on the last two days and now there's a bus being used on am & pm peak periods. Somebody seems to think just that summer's over therefore only a handful of people are travelling..... WRONG!!!!
What's the record for the number of passengers on a single 153? about 120+ on Monday and that's before the schools went back today.
Refund on my season and back to the car I think

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 18:46:56 »

thats the booked formations now we're back to the low summer diagrams.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 18:51:12 »

doesn't a double 153 have more capacity than a single 150/2 ?
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 19:13:33 »

Don't know the numbers but I would guess that it does in terms of seating capacity alone. However if you're talking about crush loadings then the passenger saloons in the 150 have much more open space and can probably fit more people in.

By the way, since the above few posts aren't directly related to the stock cascade, but rather booked train formations in Cornwall, I've split them off and moved them to the appropriate board.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 19:19:24 »

yes, but on the cornwall branches unless its high peak, the extra seats will probably be enough?
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 08:51:43 »

Latest news... Extra carriage/unit for the Falmouth from next Monday, don't know what type though

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 10:39:30 »

This kind of arbitrary cutoff of service capacity at the notional end of the Summer season, does nothing to help extend it.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 17:14:08 »

Out of interest what happens to the stock freed up by these shorter formations?
fatcontroller

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 15:01:41 »

Low summer / winter workings with reduced requirements allow the heavier maintenance to be done to the sets that are required to be sent away to be done. (e.g. Tyseley / Newton Heath/ Doncaster)

former FGW (First Great Western) Staff now working for the People's republic of ScotRail
Anything I post is my own personal view and not that of FGW, FirstGroup, ScotRail or Transport Scotland.
Anything official from these sources will be marked as such.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 13:36:13 »

Falmouth is still in need of 2 2 car units from my observations on Friday afternoon.
I took the following picture of the 1620 ( a single 153). I initially thought it was stupid that a Falmouth train leaving 5 mins before a Paddington- Penzance arrived, however the photo will show why its a good thing the Falmouth leaving just before the main line train arrived.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 19:52:15 »

The Falmouth trains run to a half hourly timetable as you know, so to change time to connect with 1 Main Line train could throw the timings out for the rest of the day.    It is not that there is a long wait now with the 2 per hour.   Previously, The Timetable could have been worked rouund connections and could have been more flexible in the planning.
caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 20:56:27 »

In my experience over the last four years when son was at the Uni, I found that the Pad trains were always running 5+ late (tricky loading/unloading, lack of door-closing etc at Lostwithiel etc). When it was one hour frequency I would wander down to the (now closed) pub on the hill. At 30 min intervals, and 150 or double 153 it no longer matters...to my mind anyway!
northwesterntrains

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 16:41:21 »

What's the record for the number of passengers on a single 153? about 120+ on Monday and that's before the schools went back today.

Cumbria local press claim 125 pack on to a single 153: http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk/news/125-sellafield-workers-jostle-to-get-on-overcrowded-72-seat-train-1.862307
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 19:56:48 »

Second carriage now provided.

http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk/news/extra-carriage-on-sellafield-train-after-users-complain-1.880306?referrerPath=news

I wonder if all these people who bleat on about 'serious injuries' resulting from overcrowding have ever seen footage of the Japanese metro systems, complete with pushers whose job it is physically to force as many people in as possible before the doors close. As far as I'm aware everyone there just deals with it and I'm assuming there aren't any deaths or serious injuries as a result.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 23:16:26 »

The Falmouth trains run to a half hourly timetable as you know, so to change time to connect with 1 Main Line train could throw the timings out for the rest of the day.    It is not that there is a long wait now with the 2 per hour.   Previously, The Timetable could have been worked rouund connections and could have been more flexible in the planning.
I know, and seeing the number of people waiting for this service, before the london arrival its a good job falmouth leaves first. Most of the falmouth passengers for the 1620 were Truro School students

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: