Lochluichart new station opens (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:12 Frome to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 07:45:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[203] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[153] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[65] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[62] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[36] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[26] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Test Post  (Read 2221 times)
sheepbingo

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2010, 10:55:02 »

Hi ... this is grahame with a test post.   I'm checking a couple of things with forum settings, for which I need to use an account that doesn't have admin permissions.  Sheepbingo is a long story that I'll have to tell you about some time ... except it doesn't relate to trains, nor the South West!

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 13-Sep-2003
Last updated:  05-Nov-2009
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 16:54:55 »

Sheepbingo is a long story that I'll have to tell you about some time ... except it doesn't relate to trains, nor the South West!
Just Googled it Tongue
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 18:32:25 »

Sound like a delightfully eccentric way to spend an English summer's afternoon.

When's the next game?  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 18:48:59 »

Sheepbingo is a long story that I'll have to tell you about some time ... except it doesn't relate to trains, nor the South West!
Just Googled it Tongue

Being an old, um, duffer I use Alta Vista rather than Google (sadly no longer on Netscape, although I do have a Firefox skin for it when I'm feeling particularly nostalgic) as a result of which I tend to often come up with different and sometimes startlingly unexpected results. Like this one for instance...

http://www.fmount.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17053

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 23:19:11 »

I can probably find some sheep ...

What else can you recognise?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 00:16:33 »

Graham I am very sorry but will have to refer you to this topic: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=2957.0

Wink Cheesy
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 06:18:56 »

Graham I am very sorry but will have to refer you to this topic: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=2957.0

Wink Cheesy

Don't be sorry - it's an excellent reminder Wink of why we cannot as of a general rule allow multiple accounts. It also describes - and it's been out there for two years - the reason for the "sheepbingo" account.

Note - as Administrator, I get a whole load of extra admin controls and information when I log in.  In order to test the forum from an ordinary user's perspective and to test the security, I do have a second account; should I even complete a post from it (it's zero posts at the moment) that post will clearly state that it's me testing.

And you will note that I clearly stated as specified  Grin  Grin

On a more serious note, Ollie, that thread shows a historic exchange where a registered member appears to be coming back on points in a pedantic way and doing just about everything that's possible for him to do to make the administrator and moderator's job a misery.  The moderator team has an incredible patience where a newer members actions unwittingly generate misery and heartache. We have rather less patience if a newer member settles into habitual ways that generate inordinate support work, in spite of polite explanations and requests to ease up / amend those habits. And we can have very little patience indeed with any member who decides to intentionally generates significant extra support work, especially if we know or feel that there's malice involved.

The software we run on the forum provides a very wide number of options that we can turn on or off, and there were hard decisions to make as we set up the site as to what to allow.  On one hand, we want to provide an easy interface that steers newcomers into good practise and doesn't give them lots of dangerous buttons. But on the other hand, we want some of those buttons to be available for more established 'hands' to be able to use on appropriate occasions.  Those hard decisions were made three years ago, and are kept under review.  The usual decision is "leave as is", but we do have a very different metric these days, and I (as the technical admin, if you like to call it that) have to be able to see just what the newcomer sees.  The alternative to "sheepbingo" is to make any changes (if necessary) without having tested them thoroughly first ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 11:26:40 »

Note - as Administrator, I get a whole load of extra admin controls and information when I log in.  In order to test the forum from an ordinary user's perspective and to test the security, I do have a second account; should I even complete a post from it (it's zero posts at the moment) that post will clearly state that it's me testing.

And you will note that I clearly stated as specified  Grin  Grin
Aha sorry I didn't read the whole thing, just remembered there was the topic about it, my poor attempt at being funny, will stick to my day job Tongue
sheepbingo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 20:49:02 »

Sorry folks - grahame trying something else out.    I know you don't want a whole lot of spam threads, so I'll merge it in a minute.

Edited to add ... now merged
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 20:54:23 by grahame » Logged

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 13-Sep-2003
Last updated:  05-Nov-2009
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: