15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:59 Westbury to Gloucester
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
17:55 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 15:48 Bristol Parkway to Weymouth
15:48 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
15:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
16:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 17:46:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[185] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[93] June to December 2024 Timetables
[66] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[56] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[46] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[34] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 10th December 2020 Advent Quiz Where am I  (Read 2501 times)
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2020, 08:01:49 »

Easier questions today. I hope this will get some more members involved.
Usual rules apply. Most of these are out of the Coffee shop area.

1, I am at a Station between Cambria Junction and Crofton road Junction. Where am I.

2,  I am at a Station between the Severn tunnel and Patchway tunnels. Where am I.

3, I am in a tunnel between Dore South Junction and Dronfield station. Where am I.

4,  I am at a Station between Staylybridge no 2 Junction and OA & GB (Great Britain) junction. Where am I.

5, I am at a summit between Holme tunnel and Kitson wood tunnel. Where am I.

6,  I am at a Station between Longlands Junction and Castle Hills Junction. Where am I.

7,  I am at a Station between Garnqueen North Junction and Greenhill Lower Junction. Where am I.

8,  I am at a summit 900ft ASL between Riccarton Junction and Hawick. Where am I.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 08:27:52 »

Starting with low hanging fruit in the case of No2 your at Pilning Station.
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 08:57:03 »

Starting with low hanging fruit in the case of No2 your at Pilning Station.

Yes and it should be noted that I devised these questions for a Pub type quiz in 1992 long before the Coffee shop started or Pilning lost its footbridge.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 09:17:09 »

Number 5:  Copy Pit Summit ?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 09:21:51 »

For no. 7 there are two answers! I imagine Cumbernauld was expected, but Greenfaulds opened, just along the line, in 1989 so might have been missed in the original quiz.
PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 09:51:37 »

I really wanted 1 to be Loughborough Junction station so as to complete the triple of 'Junctions' (two as junctions and one as a station).  But I cheated using Google and found it's the next station down the line rather than up.  I have happy memories of commuting on the Catford Loop line in 1970 and I saw the Cambria Junction signal box many times and I still remember the name that looked so out of place for sarf Lunnun.  The station name? - it sounds even more distant from the SE postcode - Denmark Hill.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 10:03:59 »

I really wanted 1 to be Loughborough Junction station so as to complete the triple of 'Junctions' (two as junctions and one as a station).  But I cheated using Google and found it's the next station down the line rather than up.  I have happy memories of commuting on the Catford Loop line in 1970 and I saw the Cambria Junction signal box many times and I still remember the name that looked so out of place for sarf Lunnun.  The station name? - it sounds even more distant from the SE postcode - Denmark Hill.

Welcome to the forum. PrestburyRoad ... I leave it to TonyN to respond on the quiz ... but you brought back memories for me too of community in south London - sometimes though Denmark Hill which struck me as a dour four track station in a cutting - dark brick enclosing walls.  2 tracks on the South London Line (now part of the Overground?) and the other 2 served by the 83 Holborn Viaduct to Sevenoaks via Catford and Otford, or the 67 from Blackfriars at the weekend and late at night.     I was commuting out to St Mary Cray, or to Petts Wood when there was a through train or good connection at Bromley South; where were you travelling to?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 10:23:41 »

Hello grahame.  I was commuting between Bellingham and Waterloo, via the Elephant.  At the Elephant I changed from the 4-EPBs to the Bakerloo line with its 1938 stock that still had one splendid old 1923 car in each train - I preferred to sit in that car for its nostalgia value.
I worked out that the fastest route at the Elephant was to walk from the BR (British Rail(ways)) station through the shopping centre, go down the Northern line lift, and walk along the Northern line platform and a short curved tunnel to the Bakerloo line platforms, rather than crossing the umpteen busy roads on the surface to get to the Bakerloo line station.
I also remember that the services were very reliable.  For example, the 4-EPBs didn't break down, but then I suppose they were very simple - just a motor and a brake and nothing else to go wrong; also in their early middle age the reliability would have been at the best point in the 'bathtub curve' .
Ah, nostalgia.
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 10:39:43 »

Number 5:  Copy Pit Summit

Yes
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 10:42:08 »

For no. 7 there are two answers! I imagine Cumbernauld was expected, but Greenfaulds opened, just along the line, in 1989 so might have been missed in the original quiz.

Woops Yes quiz was based an old Baker rail atlas. Those crafty Scots are always re-opening stations.
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 10:43:48 »

The station name? - it sounds even more distant from the SE postcode - Denmark Hill.

Yes
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2020, 13:21:47 »

6 Northallerton
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2020, 13:55:58 »

3 is the Bradway Tunnel, south of Sheffield
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2020, 14:10:15 »

6 Northallerton

Yes
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2020, 14:11:01 »

3 is the Bradway Tunnel, south of Sheffield

Yes
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: