Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:12 Frome to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 07:11:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[203] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[153] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[65] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[62] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[36] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[26] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Two two two to Tooting?  (Read 1182 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 16, 2020, 06:07:01 »

From The Mirror

Bus spotters left raging over mistake in John Lewis Christmas advert

The duo were travelling on a 222 bus which said it was heading to Tooting, but in real life runs from Uxbridge to Hounslow.

Bus spotters took to social media to share their disappointment at the error, which left some people fuming.

Does the 10B run to a seaside town in Pembrokeshire?

Will 2O20 be running in 2021? (yes, planned, thank goodness!)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 09:19:48 »

I live on the no.1 bus route here in Bath, and with my bus pass have occasionally thought of catching every number 1 around the country, just to see where they all go. Perhaps I could call it the Number 1 to Wonderland.  Smiley
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 09:39:21 »

I live on the no.1 bus route here in Bath, and with my bus pass have occasionally thought of catching every number 1 around the country, just to see where they all go. Perhaps I could call it the Number 1 to Wonderland.  Smiley

What a good idea! If you are not a YouTuber already, this could be the start of a new career! I would certainly subscribe to your channel.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 14:27:15 »

Perhaps you could do it as a column in the bus industry magazine, Route One.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 15:55:38 »

Someone has written a book on this kind of thing, although I don't think necessarily he went on every bus, and the route number he chose was 94.

Riding Route 94
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 17:00:20 »

From The Mirror

The duo were travelling on a 222 bus which said it was heading to Tooting, but in real life runs from Uxbridge to Hounslow.

Bus spotters took to social media to share their disappointment at the error, which left some people fuming.

Numerative determinism?
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 20:33:14 »

From The Mirror

I had to share that with friends, because the 222 Uxbridge to Hounslow was for many years (until I moved) the only bus that went down my road.

The ad is just a bit of fun with every word on the onboard audible announcement starting with two/to/too.
It would normally say "two two two to Uxbridge / Hounslow" but on the advert you can just about hear "two two two to Tooting"
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 22:32:18 »

Perhaps you could do it as a column in the bus industry magazine, Route One.
While wearing Route One clothing and skating to the bus stop. https://www.routeone.co.uk

I think there used to be a football 'zine called Route One but either it's defunct or I dreamt it.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 18:19:25 »

What a good idea! If you are not a YouTuber already, this could be the start of a new career! I would certainly subscribe to your channel.

I'm not a YouTuber already, in fact I have little idea what that really involves.

The idea was me just musing following Graham's post, though it is something I have considered in the past, though it would be low on my list of projects to do. However, the title, which is what links it to this thread, is just too good to resist, so perhaps I might follow it up. However, there must be a number 1 bus in almost every town in Britain, so I think I would limit my ambitions to a small pre-selected number of those that seem most interesting.

As it happens, when we first moved here, that route was the number 10. First renumbered its routes in Bath a couple of years ago, and a few locals still talk about it as the number 10. I'm sure someone could make some interesting political points by following all the number tens.  Grin

I do actually remember when I first had the idea. I was sat outside my favourite cafe in Gloucester, which is on a traffic-light junction, and every few minutes a number 10 bus would stop at the lights, waiting to turn right in front of me. I was tempted to jump onto one, just to see where it went, and then go on from there... But I didn't.

I'm not surprised someone has done something similar, with the number 94 buses. I see the blurb about it talks about the 94 route across Mull. I do remember meeting that in the middle of nowhere when I was cycling around that island a few years ago. It is probably a wonderful route.

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 20:09:19 »

The question also arises whether you just do 1s or whether you include those with a letter prefix/suffix. In Bath that would give you 1, D1, D1x, U1. Bristol would give you an even greater variety, namely 1, T1, M1, U1, X1, Y1, ignoring school only buses

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: