Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:12 Frome to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 07:53:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[203] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[153] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[65] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[62] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[36] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[26] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Early Train Revised (29/09/2008)  (Read 3286 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: September 29, 2008, 08:16:15 »

From the FGW (First Great Western) website :

05:19 Gloucester to Southampton Central due 08:09

This train will be started from Westbury.It will no longer call at: Gloucester, Stonehouse, Stroud, Kemble, Swindon, Chippenham, Melksham and Trowbridge.This train will run short formed with 1 carriages.This is due to an earlier train fault.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 10:02:46 »

From the FGW (First Great Western) alert sent to me at 07:45am:

On Mon 29/09/08  7:45 AM , First Great Western Alerting Service noreply@nexusalpha.com sent:
> Dear Phil,
>
>
>
> There are no disruptions reported at this time affecting services between
> your selected stations, Melksham to Swindon.
>
>
> Further Information is available at http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk.
>
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 11:48:52 »

If that was sent at 07:45 then the 05:19 from Gloucester wouldn't be included, pointless to tell have a altered train after it's due to have been and gone.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 12:42:40 »

But I have it set up so that it ought to have warned me.

According to the FGW (First Great Western) website (quoted below), the system will alert me to ANY cancellations and disruptions that may affect my journey.

If I get up in the morning expecting to catch the 06:40 from my local station, Melksham - the same train which happens to be the 05:19 off Gloucester Central - then surely I ought to be alerted to the fact that the train now won't be calling at my station at all? God knows we get few enough trains calling at Melksham as it is  Undecided

I realise it's a free service that I subscribed to and that I shouldn't therefore expect too much from it, but honestly I don't see the point of it being there at all if it's not going to do the job it's advertised as doing.

What if I had been expecting someone to have alighted from that train and made their way to my house? The automated alert contacts me to say there are no disruptions and that everything's fine. I could be really panicking, wondering where the person had got to. Only when I contact FGW do they tell me "oh no, it's ok - that train didn't run at all, so your dear old auntie can't have been on it after all..."

There's only one thing worse than being given no information at all, and that's being given duff information.

22 February 2008
A new free service from First Great Western designed to help rail commuters adjust their journeys more efficiently when faced with service disruptions, is introduced this week.

The JourneyAlert system, will text or email customers with any cancellations, alterations, or route disruptions to their train services. JourneyAlert will provide information about delay causing events - such as flooding on the line, track infrastructure problems and resulting disruptions.

The ^intelligent^ web based system will allow commuters to receive personalised text messages and emails that will alert them to any changes to their regular services, as well as provide further updates on request. The facility can be set up by the user to tell them about service changes before leaving the office or home.

tramway

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 16:41:02 »

Please feel free to shoot me down on this one, but Phil as you have asked for notification of Melksham TO Swindon you aren't likely be to be notified of problems with trains FROM Swindon TO Melksham, I would guess you would have to set that up as a different notification.  Huh

Or have I missed something here.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 19:10:38 »

You could be right... I don't think the software is that sensitive to user requirements though. Basically I assumed by selecting two stations, Melksham and Swindon, it would notify me of trains travelling in either direction (useful for both going to work and coming home again).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 08:31:45 »

Some thoughts ...

I had an intersting decision to make with that diagram that I draw on the top left of these pages - whether to show problems on services that have already completed their journeys or not, and I decided to show journeys that were recently completed as well as currently running and not-yet-started services.

My reasons for showing recently completed journeys was to give our visitors here something of a view of which lines may be showing "aftershocks" - something that could be of interest to our more astute visitors, but perhaps not to the more general traveller.  Quite frankly, I hadn't considered the fact that people might want to know about recent completed cancellations because of the non-appearance of Great Aunt Agnes.  But "show past data or not" is an interesting question and the FGW (First Great Western) team have a difficult choice on it.

On asking for "Melksham TO Swindon" only giving one direction ... from a computer viewpoint, yes, that's logical.   From a practical viewpoint, perhaps shorter journey and regular notification request, which are likely to be made by people travelling up and down would be best reporting both ways, but single requests for longer routes would be best one way.   I'm just musing here - people have a wide varirty of reasons / requirements for the data and you ain't going to please all the people all the time!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 09:17:09 »

I don't know for definate, but the system lets you add more than one journey, so could only assume it's to do something like Melksham to Swindon AND Swindon to Melksham
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: