Lochluichart new station opens (link)

Train RunningShort Run
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 00:57:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[230] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[109] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[71] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[41] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[37] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[30] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: More level crossing lunacy  (Read 4455 times)
willc

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2011, 00:33:12 »

New Network Rail video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Y3Cp7owIQ&feature=channel_video_title
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 14:35:59 »

Network Rail now have an ANPR van with the NR» (Network Rail - home page) logo, "Traffic Safety Partnership" with Police on it.
It parks up near a level crossing the van takes a 20 second video of offending vehicles along with the registered keepers detail and the NIP Notice of Intention to Prosecute is in the post

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 15:46:49 »

One of those crossings is at Llanelli and i have seen how bad some people are there.

Pencoed has another level crossing which is monitored by CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) where i have seen people climbing the barries

I am glad to see Network Rail taking some action against some of these stupid people, those car drivers should be made to take a re-test as this in my opinion is dangerous driving.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 22:47:43 »

I make no apologies for resurrecting this rather old topic, simply because I believe passionately that misuse of level crossings must be discouraged in every way possible.

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Sion Ramson banned for Pencoed level crossing incident

A driver who sped across a south Wales level crossing as the barriers closed has been banned from driving.

Sion Ramson, 26, crossed the unmanned line in Pencoed to visit his sick grandmother, Cardiff Crown Court heard.

Ramson was caught on CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) ignoring flashing red lights and then driving over the crossing just before a train.

Ramson from Pontyclun admitted dangerous driving and was given a four-month suspended jail sentence and banned from driving for 12 months.

Judge Stephen Hopkins QC told him: "It was the most incredibly daft thing for you to have done. What you did was a particularly stupid and potentially dangerous thing. You put at risk both your own life and the lives of those on the train."

Ramson crossed the line on 1 February as a First Great Western passenger service was due on the main Swansea to London high-speed line.

He was arrested at home after the his vehicle had been filmed by the security cameras. He told officers: "I know I should not have crossed the way I did. I'm really sorry for this, I could have caused a serious accident."

Speaking after the case, a spokesman for Network Rail said: "This kind of behaviour can cause serious injury or death to yourself or rail users."

Ramson ignored the closing barrier

Ramson missed the incoming train on the Swansea to Paddington main line

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 23:00:56 »

I agree CfN - I struggle to comprehend why people do it.

On a recent trip back from Devon I was on an HST (High Speed Train) lead by the power car named after driver Stan Martin who died in the Ufton Nervet crash.  As we approached the crossing the driver gave three long blasts on the horn.  I was told this wasn't due to anyone on the line, but in memory of his fallen colleague.  A nice touch.
Puffing Billy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 08:46:15 »

I completely agree with the sentiments in the previous post, but would just venture a slight note of caution in relating this (which I am sure was not intended) to the main target of this thread. While it in no way lessens the tragedy that took place on that occasion, and still needs consideration as to how such a disaster can be avoided, it should be taken into account that the cause of the Ufton Nervet accident was a suicidal person who was not in his right mind, which is not quite the same as the actions of those who risk such disasters purely out of their recklessness and selfishness.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 20:43:53 »

Thanks, Puffing Billy.  Smiley

As you say, there was no intention to relate that specific tragic incident at Ufton Nervet to the wider issue in this topic.  Lips sealed

I agree that our ongoing concern here is that the presence of any road motor vehicle on any railway level crossing at any inappropriate time is something to be avoided, by any means possible.

The consequences of any train hitting any road vehicle in such situations can be quite horrible.  Sad

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 22:52:00 »

Returning to Chris's posting of the newspaper report of the court case, it's good to see the courts taking the issue of ignoring the red flashing lights seriously.  A driving ban is severe and appropriate and a suspended jail sentence is a good deterrent for temptation to break it.  I hope this gets as much publicity as possible.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 11:57:05 »

Hmmm.  Although I am always annoyed by the lunacy of these people I think a few facts should be put in place here.

The Judge and the NR» (Network Rail - home page) spokesperson are both being 'economical' with the truth.  A train would not have approached the crossing as it is a 'manned' CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) level crossing where the barriers are controlled by a signaller and the signals cannot be cleared until the signaller has taken a deliberate action (i.e. pressed the crossing clear control).

Passing a flashing red light is of course illegal (even for emergency vehicles) so he has been rightly banned and fined.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: