14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:23 Swansea to London Paddington
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 15:52:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[231] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[91] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[52] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[48] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[38] underground plans for Bristol update.
[38] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know if BTP have a Twitter account?  (Read 5935 times)
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2014, 12:53:39 »

Can't stop, just spotted this on Twitter though and it alarmed me....

James Chandler @chandie_mx
Ffs I gotta walk along the railway track again to get to melksham today 😤 mile long 👎
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 13:06:25 »

@btp_uk.  Although this isn't for reporting crime.

Instead, call 0800 40 50 40 or #TextBTP on 6101.

I've replied to the tweet pointing out the idiocy. Probably going to get some abuse now.

According to his Facebook profile, this silly person works in Waitrose Melksham. I always thought they only employed people with common sense.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 14:47:22 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 14:46:22 »

I've posted onto the TransWilts Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/TransWilts - in the hope of reaching some more of the audience we are reaching there too. "Don't get yourself killed" is a more important than the "use our service" message ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 16:02:45 »

Thanks for sorting that out for me, people - sorry I had to rush off!

Interestingly, our customers have just arrived here in Melksham by train so obviously there are in fact services running today despite the floods - even more reasons why idiots shouldn't be trespassing on the tracks
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 16:35:13 »

Thanks for sorting that out for me, people - sorry I had to rush off!

Interestingly, our customers have just arrived here in Melksham by train so obviously there are in fact services running today despite the floods - even more reasons why idiots shouldn't be trespassing on the tracks

Floods between Pewsey and Westbury ... West of England services being diverted through Melksham. Network Rail on site at Melksham, speed limit was down to 5 mph at one time but put back up to regular line speed through the station now.

So there will be a number of high speed surprises for anyone on the tracks ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 22:31:25 »

Can't stop, just spotted this on Twitter though and it alarmed me....

James Chandler @chandie_mx
Ffs I gotta walk along the railway track again to get to melksham today 😤 mile long 👎

From my own safety briefing, from a very experienced member of Network Rail staff: "If there is someone on the track, use 999".  It is then logged, and the professional emergency services will deal with it, as appropriate.  Lips sealed

According to his Facebook profile, this silly person works in Waitrose Melksham. I always thought they only employed people with common sense.

I shall be taking up that particular aspect through the appropriate channel.  Lips particularly  Lips sealed.

Thanks for raising, and contributing to, this topic, everyone.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 22:53:49 »

What really concerned me was the 'again' in the tweet. Seems this isn't the first time young Mr Chandler has done this.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 23:09:03 »

I noted that, too.  Angry

Leave it with me.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 05:13:36 »

What made me nervous was the amount of HST (High Speed Train)'s diverted via Melksham today...! Infact I bumped into a member of this forum in the Buffet Car of a HST that was diverted at short notice via Melksham on Saturday Evening.

Here is a Video of a HST passing Melksham. I filmed this on the 29th December 2013 when the 14:28 was booked to run via MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains) due to Engineering works at Newbury.

http://youtu.be/IvT4spuysbU

Needless to say... the HST is not hanging about!! Very foolish thing to consider let alone even do; walking along that line!!

Just to give the stats on the journey from my GPS. The branch line is 9.3 Miles long. It took the HST exactly 10 minutes to clear the branch making the average speed along the branch 55.06mph! For over 400 tonnes of train that is quite some speed. The maximum speed the HST reached on the branch at any single point was before Melksham Station at 65.24mph After the station the maximum speed reached was 55.86mph

So to reiterated everything said... Don't walk on the tracks!!! Lips sealed

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 12:39:01 »

I think said tweet has been deleted.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 13:18:12 »

I think said tweet has been deleted.

Yes, I believe so; good.  But also glad that it came up and brought to attention an issue that we have locally. 

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 23:11:07 »

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/10941754.Keep_off_the_tracks/?ref=la

I was alarmed to read someone Tweeting that they ^gotta walk along the railway track again to get to Melksham today^ last Saturday.

Trains weigh up to 400 tons and travel on the line from Trowbridge to Chippenham at more than 60mph. They can^t steer out of the way, they can^t stop if they see you on the track, and they can coast near-silent for miles ^ you may not hear them coming. If one hits you, you^re unlikely to survive.

On weekend days in 2013, there were usually only three or four trains passing along the single track. But with the improved TransWilts service, and diversions caused by engineering works and flooding elsewhere, that has risen over the last few weeks to more than 30 trains a day, some not shown in any public timetable or running very late.

Please keep off the railway. It^s a dangerous place. Better to miss work for the day than to never work again.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: