16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 16:37:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[231] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[91] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[52] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[48] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[38] underground plans for Bristol update.
[38] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Passenger Count data - from January 2014 - also concern / issues raised log  (Read 1050 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 06, 2014, 15:12:26 »

On Saturday 4th - day of awful weather - just 2 on + 1 extra on 08:37 to Swindon.  Oops.  But note
- advise not to travel / change plans
- its the "extra" train so there's a smaller gap.
- mostly leisure; bad weather may mean than only 1 in 5 travels (so normal load would be 15)
- end of Christmas break; most people are recovering from new year ready for work

Monday 6th

06:38
13 on from Chippenham
+2 (Bath and London)

07:20
41 on from Trowbridge
+5 (4 for Swindon and 1 for Bristol)

07:48
25 on from Trowbridge (of whom 11 were from Westbury I understand)
+9 (4 for Swindon, 2 for Chippenham, 2 for Bristol TM(resolve) and 1 for London)

All trains on time

Everyone happy

Concerns ... reliability, reliabikity reliabiity ;-)

Also
- A journey planner ap showed the 06:38 as 07:01 at Westbury, and the London train leaves 07:01 - will I make it (yes, 07:01 is the departure of the train on to Southampton; arrival is 06:55)
- Will we soon run out of parking spaces at Melksham Station?
- Changing trains at Trowbridge.   Sat in waiting room in bad weather, no-one noticed the Single car Swindon train pull up and they only dashed out as it was leaving :-( ...

Good to see posters / information in 2 of the frames at Melksham Station / 3rd frame still missing.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 15:56:06 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
sheepbingo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 15:59:49 »

Just testing

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 13-Sep-2003
Last updated:  05-Nov-2009
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 20:51:40 »

18:03 at Melksham
Arrived with 52 on board.  9 got off and 1 on

18:44 at Melksham
Arrived with 3 on board. 2 got off and 1 on

19:17 at Melksham
Arrived with 15 on board. 4 got off and 1 on

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 19:14:09 »

Monday 6th

06:38
13 on from Chippenham
+2 (Bath and London)

07:20
41 on from Trowbridge
+5 (4 for Swindon and 1 for Bristol)

07:48
25 on from Trowbridge (of whom 11 were from Westbury I understand)
+9 (4 for Swindon, 2 for Chippenham, 2 for Bristol TM(resolve) and 1 for London)

All trains on time

So looks like already 14 commuting from Melksham northbound, and a goodly number coming from further south. After one month that's not bad. The fact that the earlier northbound train still has the larger number of pax in total would demonstrate that it's taking time for people to realise that there is (for most people) a more conveniently timed train. So the majority of travellers are still those who found the earlier train was able to fit in with their working arrangements, and haven't needed to move.

What has struck me about some of the comments on the TW Facebook site is how many are asking basic information which is available (timings). This should serve to remind us that for many people, travelling by train, looking at timetables etc, is totally unfamiliar to them, and they either need to have it confirmed to them personally, or need reassurance that they've read things correctly. Maybe that's to be expected on a route that hasn't had a viable service for many years, but it shows that we shouldn't underestimate how straightforward information needs to be to give people confidence to use the service.   

Edit to fix quoting - grahame
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 19:35:17 by grahame » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 19:53:03 »

Yes, looking good so far.   Looking at the evening figures, the 19:17 was at least one down on what it should have been because the connecting 17:45 from Paddington (Swansea train, change at Swindon) didn't arrive until after it had left.   As a result, I have a "I tried it and it didn't work so I won't be trying it again" letter  ... echoing and confirming what I wrote during the day

Concerns ... reliability, reliabikity reliabiity ;-)

What has struck me about some of the comments on the TW Facebook site is how many are asking basic information which is available (timings). This should serve to remind us that for many people, travelling by train, looking at timetables etc, is totally unfamiliar to them, and they either need to have it confirmed to them personally, or need reassurance that they've read things correctly. Maybe that's to be expected on a route that hasn't had a viable service for many years, but it shows that we shouldn't underestimate how straightforward information needs to be to give people confidence to use the service.   

Spot on. There is a lot of helping and explaining to do, and we can understand a lot by listening to these questions. It's also part of the reason for this new board to not be public, as we'll be discussing / mulling over issues as they arise and largely ignoring the 95% of journeys that are uneventful and happy; don't want to frighten people.

I'm ... delighted, then ... that we have other timetable options than looking up the times on the Portsmouth - Cardiff sheet.  And that we're trying to meet / talk with people / be around quite a bit at first.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 17:49:34 »

16:44 {{Melksham time}} Today - Sunday 12th Jan 2014

5 on from Westbury
+7 at Trowbridge
+3 -1 at Melksham

Total - 15 on TransWilts section

Train on time, arrived Swindon Platform 3. Departure boards having a laugh - showed it departing 10 minutes later as the Penzance train.  Announcements telling us to stand back as "the next train is not schedued to shop here".  Have to laugh (or cry) at the info systems sometimes.

I understand that the only "via Melksham" fare notified to be re-instated is 6.50 return Trowbridge to Chippenham; other "via Melksham" fares still not being sold as the staff don't know what the fare should be ...

Information point at Melksham station showing "Communications Problems" error message - my guestimate is that it's in this state between 25% and 40% of the time.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: