16:13 Exeter Central to Barnstaple
Delayed
17:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 14:33:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[243] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[71] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[65] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[56] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[53] underground plans for Bristol update.
[52] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Poll: So, according to another thread, we all hate the refurbed HSTs (High Speed Train)! What do you hate most:
I hate nothing. The refurb was great!
Lack of table seats.
High seat backs.
Lack of luggage space.
Restricted views.
"Slippery" First Class seats.
Lighting too bright/lack of individual lights.
Cannot see out windows, only my reflection.
Uncomfortable Second Class seats.
Absolutely everything. The refurb was a total disaster!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: What do you hate about the HSTs?!  (Read 13291 times)
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 19:52:53 »

Pre 2007 refurb, how many table were their per carriage?

Coach A=8
Coach B,C,D=9
Coach E=14

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 19:54:36 »

Coach A=8
Coach B,C,D=9
Coach E=14

Gosh! That is a lot of tables that have gone!

Do FGW (First Great Western) still run the family carriage (E) now that tables have gone?
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 20:25:31 »

Coach A=8
Coach B,C,D=9
Coach E=14

Gosh! That is a lot of tables that have gone!

Do FGW (First Great Western) still run the family carriage (E) now that tables have gone?
It is in D now which has 2 or 4 tables rather than 0 or 3.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 00:01:48 »

I don't actually 'hate' anything about the refurbished HSTs (High Speed Train) - so I voted accordingly.  Wink

For example: I travelled Nailsea to Paddington and back on Tuesday - two hours each way, giving me ample time to jot down impressions of my latest HST travel experience.

The airline seats are practical, even for families: two pairs of seats is no more difficult to find than a table.  The reduction in the number of tables also means there is less scope for lone travellers to take up all four seats around a table by putting a coat on one, a bag on another, and then sitting with a broadsheet newspaper spread out over both of the opposite two seats.  Moveable armrests give much greater flexibility of seating, and the high seat backs give greater privacy if people want to work.  The firm seats encourage better posture, but they are by no means uncomfortable - the chap sitting next me and I both found no difficulty in nodding off by about Swindon, I noticed!  There is also plenty of legroom - I'm 6 foot, but I didn't have any problem with 'stretching my legs'.

The view from the window is generally fine - yes, the tinted glass and reflection does reduce clarity, but I reckon you still see more interesting sights from a train than you do from a car on the M4.  Besides, I noticed that most of my fellow passengers (those who weren't asleep) were working on laptops, listening on ipods or talking (furtively or loudly) on their mobiles, and not looking at the passing scenery at all.

The buffets (as I've posted elsewhere - see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=2604.msg19646#msg19646 ) are absolutely brilliant.

And finally, I think the pink 'Mickey Mouse' ears as grab handles are quite fun!  They certainly catch the eye, which surely is their purpose - and thus reduce the chances of a stumbling passenger inadvertently clutching at the wig of some poor person sitting in an aisle seat, if the train lurches unexpectedly?

For the record, my trains were both dead on time, each way: thanks, FGW (First Great Western)Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 00:41:29 »

Speaking  as a passenger and not staff I have the following to say:

I don't really "hate" anything about the refurbished HST (High Speed Train)'s, I find standard class comfortable and I like my privacy so high back seats are pretty good for me and I am not the tallest person in the world Cheesy. The seat back tables fit my laptop with no problem and I can comfortably use it, the lighting can be bright, but by putting the setting on "dim" so only half the lights are on improves things.
First class seats not slippery at all and rather comfortable Smiley

What you have failed to mention, and what I believe is the biggest issue, is the toilets. Sensors occasionally failing to work, broken flushes. Although I know this is a problem they are trying to resolve.

Overall I would say I prefer them as they are now.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 00:48:26 »

Just out of idle curiosity on my part, Ollie: when did you last travel in first class?   Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 19:04:05 »

Nobody so fat has voted for the "slippery" First Class seats! Tongue
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 19:06:47 »

I was tempted to vote slippy seats - because they *are* quite slippy.... lights did it for me.

The dim setting should be the default one.
shadow

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 12:29:45 »

I can't really pick at any parts of the HST (High Speed Train)'s i guess...they are an ok all round train.
Only think i could think of is that their vestrible floor is less comfy that on a voyager class
Amount of time i spent sitting on the floor in a voyager vestrible, definatly more comfy.
but that could just be me  Cheesy
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 22:19:14 »

Quote from: Btline
Nobody so fat has voted for the "slippery" First Class seats!
Surely the fat ones can wedge themselves in...

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 22:45:02 »

Nobody so fat has voted for the "slippery" First Class seats! Tongue

Well actually the problem is if you are short and short limbed!

If you "sit" in the seat your legs dangle in mid air and you cant reach the table

You end up having to perch on the edge!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
standclearplease

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2008, 18:53:56 »

Not really a great reason, but I think they seem a little 'uncosy'.. probably to do with the lighting.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2008, 19:22:13 »

POLL LOCKED

The biggest problem is the lighting....
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2008, 19:31:11 »

POLL LOCKED

The biggest problem is the lighting....
But the most popular choice is nothing is wrong.
But the most amount of people don't like the refurb.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008, 22:06:30 »

Quote from: Conner
But the most amount of people don't like the refurb.

No, that's not true, since the poll was biased. (Hint: Try and work out what the responses would have been if the original question was 'What do you like about the HSTs (High Speed Train)'...)

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: