Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
14:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Short Run
10:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
14:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:59 Westbury to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 15:00:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[252] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[91] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[46] underground plans for Bristol update.
[41] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[36] Brabazon, Bristol
[29] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Line problem between Taunton and Bristol Temple Meads - 20/12/2010  (Read 6836 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2010, 13:24:30 »

From FGW (First Great Western) Website

Train services are being disrupted due to an operating incident between Taunton and Bristol Temple Meads.Short notice alterations and delays of up to 30 minutes can be expected.

Lips sealed Roll Eyes Shocked

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 14:33:59 »

Update, from National Rail:

An operating incident has occurred near Weston-super-Mare.
Because of this, there are delays of up to 45 minutes between Bristol Temple Meads and Taunton. These delays are expected to last until further notice.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 14:41:23 »

It's apparently causing some rather bizarre details on the Nailsea & Backwell live departures board:

14:03    Exeter St David's     09:24 279 mins early
14:38    Weston-super-Mare   Cancelled
14:57    Cardiff Central        15:15 18 mins late
15:03         Taunton                Delayed

Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 14:45:03 »

However the early 14:03 is 887 minutes late at Temple Meads
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 14:46:34 »

There was an HST (High Speed Train) sat in Weston-super-Mare when I drove over the railway bridge earlier, and similarly what looked like the same HST approx. 1 hour later.
jdw.wor
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 18:04:00 »

The 07.40 Paignton-Paddington (which started at Newton Abbott) appeared to disappear off all FGW (First Great Western) and National Rail sites after arriving late at Weston-S-M this morning. Was this the begining of the problems?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 18:12:45 »

A trawl of other rail forums shows speculation that there was a SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) at Weston-super-Mare leading to fouling of a set of points. Hasten to add this is rumour with no official verification.

I have a fair idea of which service may have been involved in the incident, but in fairness to the driver I think it not wise that we speculate further here. Even if the incident is totally the fault of the weather.

With my Moderator hat on could I also ask other forum members not to speculate as to the details of the specific service involved. SPADs are a serious operating incident and no doubt a full investigation will be carried out in due course.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 18:21:27 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 18:16:17 »

Sounds like somebody could be in the dog house............ Roll Eyes Shocked Lips sealed

Grin Grin Grin Grin
dmutony

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 14:07:37 »

confirmed there was a spad at W-S-M and line was closed due to investigation work being carried out!!!!
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 19:30:01 »

as above was a SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) at uphill involving a hst on way up from south west causing damage to points that were set for a train coming off single line.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 20:27:04 »

as above was a SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) at uphill involving a hst on way up from south west causing damage to points that were set for a train coming off single line.

I heard it was train coming off the branch from Weston.  Thats what rumours are like !
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 20:46:58 »

My own source (someone official in the office at Bristol) confirmed to me earlier that it was 'what smithy said'.  Lips sealed

TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 13:11:20 »

There's a paragraph referring to this incident in the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) report into a near miss involving a freight train and two
passenger trains at Carstairs on 22nd December 2009 that was released today....

136 More recently, on 20 December 2010, an incident occurred in snowy conditions at Uphill junction, near to Weston-super-Mare when a passenger train passed a red signal by about 375 metres and ran through a set of trailing points, causing damage to them. This train was a service from Newton Abbot to London Paddington and was formed by a High Speed Train (HST (High Speed Train)) which has coaches that are fitted with brake pads and discs. The train^s data recorder showed that the driver did not correctly carry out the instructions in Section 18 of module TW1 of the Rule Book relating to braking in snow conditions. While the driver did carry out running brake tests at the required frequency, he did not make a full service brake application and reduce the train^s speed by at least 10 mph (16 km/h). After this incident the train operating company reissued a notice to its drivers which mandated them to comply with the full requirements of the rules in Section 18 of module TW1 whenever there was snow lying on the ground. This was in addition to the requirement for drivers to apply these rules when snow is falling or fallen snow is being disturbed by the passage of trains. This notice was later withdrawn when the weather conditions improved.

I would assume that there won't be a full report as they usually indicate when an event is still under investigation.

TLM

PS Mods - could we change the thread title please to reflect the now historical nature of the subject?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 17:47:55 »

PS Mods - could we change the thread title please to reflect the now historical nature of the subject?

Done!  Wink

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: