Train RunningShort Run
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 03:02:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[100] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[58] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] underground plans for Bristol update.
[38] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[37] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank you, happy Christmas, and looking forward  (Read 9906 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 23, 2012, 13:18:48 »

This is a big "Thank you" to Chris from Nailsea, helping so much with the admin ... and a "Thank You" to the whole moderator team, for everything you've done for the forum all year.

Every so often, I do a sanity check - "are we really providing a useful service".  And I come up with a resounding "Yes, we are". Saturday's usually the quietest day of the week, but looking at yesterday's stats I see that we had over 1000 visits, and a total of over 6000 pages viewed.  Many of those views are from members, but we shouldn't forget the significant proportion of views by guests - people who will come here just occasionally with a question, and perhaps find the answer in our resources without the need to sign up and ask.   It never ceases to amaze me, though, six years on that there are still questions to be asked and new discussions to be had.

Moderators and administrators sometimes have to step in during the white heat of a strong discussion, and that requires a safe pair of hands and an ability to make s good decision in the particular circumstance as it unfolds.  The moderator rarely has the luxury of time, or the benefit of hindsight, and I'm proud of just how appropriately everyone acts.  And moderation also involves user support - helping members by ensuring posts are correctly quoted and on an approppriate board, "seeding" questions that no-one's asked, and posting up links and references to wider sources of material.   The Coffee Shop is not an island - incoming and outgoing on-topic links are very welcome here.

As the one who looks after code, databases, HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) formatting, etc, as well as doing new member admin, you probably don't see me around as much as you might expect.  I'm third in the published table of post counts, but most members might scratch their heads and wonder how that can be.  In fact, some 6% of posts on the forum are made to moderator and admin boards - making sure that we acknowledge and agree on reported posts, discussing dubious signup requests, and planning our strategy for the future, considering new ideas, etc. And that's where you'll find my highest post count. I am here, available by p.m., if necessary, but I can usually make so much more of a contribution by sorting out issues for our thousands of visitors rather than manually processing everyone.   Which leaves me with a great deal of sympathy for the senior managers at First Great Western when they get critisized for not appearing on the platforms at times of disruption;  they're probably much more effective working behind the scenes to back up their operation staff, control team and others through which they can sort out things for thousands of people, and not just a fortunate handfull.

This forum wouldn't be the useful resource that it is without contributions - ALL the contributions, and so I also want to say "Thank you" to everyone who posts. Some of the posts from indusrty professionals are fantastic in their content and detail, and I know just how long it can take to write out and explain things.  It does not go unnoticed.  And we're very much a customer forum - the customer posts make the discussions - they sow a seed, they ask a question or express a view that the rest of us feel, or they help to educate us on what's needed (and what frustrates too!).  Keep them coming in 2013

Thank you to guests who read our posts.   This forum is for everyone, and it's a founding stratagy that we keep as much of our material as possible public.  That's so that guests can read it, can learn, and perhaps we can improve something for them.  But I will finish these thanks with a requests to guests to take courage, sign up, introduce yourself and contribute.  It's free; only the admins need to know your email address, and that's to let us get in touch should we need to - there's been much in the press about what you can and can't write on Facebook and Twitter, and much the same applies here - but this is a complex field and we need to be able to alert you if you post up something which could be a problem.

Finally, thank you to everyone who helps provide our railway service, the information about it, and the infrastructure on which it runs.   There are many unsung heroes out there that we should not forget.

Personally, I'll be around (and online) most days over the Christmas holiday - "quietly with family".  However you're spending Christmas, I hope you find in enjoyable and fulfilling.   If you have few minutes in the tail end of this year, why not complete bignosemac's prize quiz ... [here].

Have a great Christmas, everyone.  Many thanks for your support during 2012.   I've enjoyed being with everyone here, and I look forward to more of the same enjoyment in 2013 ... and adding in during 2013, perhaps, a restart of an appropriate TransWilts service, better transport co-ordination, and progress on electricfication, redoubling, crossrail, Reading and, of course, the arrangements for the next franchise period.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 13:26:01 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 16:06:09 »

Nothing really to add to that except to join grahame in wishing all members and guests alike a very merry Christmas and all the best for 2013.

After Christmas I shall be looking through the year on the forum to compile a sort of highlights topic of all that has happened in and around FGW (First Great Western) land and the wider railway world in the past year. What were the hot topics, what were the big stories, what were some of the lighter moments and so on.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 19:12:48 »

I would like to add my thanks to the admin team and moderators.  Without you the forum would not exist. A merry Christmas to all.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 20:19:14 »

I would like to add my thanks to the admin team and moderators.  Without you the forum would not exist. A merry Christmas to all.

Seconded !
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 20:37:14 »

In addition to those Grahame has expressed thanks to, I think the biggest thanks goes to Grahame, for keeping the forum running so brilliantly.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 21:02:53 »

Indeed.. Thanks to Grahame and Chris for all their admin work (plus the other moderators of course).. And Happy Christmas and New Year to everyone on here... Hope 2013 is good for you all  Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 09:56:43 »

This is a big "Thank you" to Chris from Nailsea, helping so much with the admin ...

Not at all: it really is a pleasure for me to be able to contribute thus to the obvious success of the Coffee Shop forum.  Embarrassed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 10:39:37 »

Indeed.. Thanks to Grahame and Chris for all their admin work (plus the other moderators of course).. And Happy Christmas and New Year to everyone on here... Hope 2013 is good for you all  Grin
.....and from me as well.....
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 14:56:14 »

and from me as well.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 17:51:17 »

Thought I would add my own thanks to everyone who has put in so much work to  keeping this forum up for teh enjoyment of all of us.

I personally have found it very useful when I have been looking for any information and there is always someone on here who is happy to answer any questions we may have.

So Happy christmas everyone and lets hope we all have a great 2013.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 18:22:09 »

A thank you and a Merry Christmas from me too.

Particular thanks to everyone who was on the forum back in March and who provided a great deal of support to me on my charity adventure round the FGW (First Great Western) network.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 01:42:29 »

My thanks to all the team as well.
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 12:18:31 »

Thankyou for the forum moderators and a very merry Christmas to each & every member.

Here, there and Everywhere!!
Tiffy

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 12:19:13 »

I don't post often but read regularly and I would like to say a big thank you to everyone involved.

A very merry Christmas and a  happy,healthy and peacceful 2013 to you all. Grin

Anne
animationmilo

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 14:20:36 »

A very Merry Christmas to all. Hope it's good Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: