Delayed
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:22 Bristol Temple Meads to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 18:53:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[80] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[46] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[42] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[34] underground plans for Bristol update.
[34] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 2021 PAD to WOS/Malvern (cant remember where it stops) .... a question  (Read 7021 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: April 24, 2008, 23:33:27 »

Can anyone tell me whether it has run as the advertised HST (High Speed Train) recently or something else.  I may have to work late tomorrow meaning that that is the one I will have to pick up at Reading BUT .......

If I have a significant chance of it being a turbo - forget it.

A 180 I can cope with.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 23:42:21 »

20:20 Pad to GMV (Great Malvern)

As far as I know it has been running as booked HST (High Speed Train).
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 23:57:10 »

20:20 Pad to GMV (Great Malvern)

As far as I know it has been running as booked HST (High Speed Train).

Is that the HST they stable at hereford to form the 0545 WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)?

In which case it makes sense that it is normally a HST and I can rest assured!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 00:30:22 »

By the looks of it, it is the one that stables at Hereford.
Steve44

I quite like thames turbos...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 01:00:23 »

That's comforting then, i too will be using this service but from Paddington, though i di have a seat reservation  Smiley
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 01:11:02 »

If it's booked a HST (High Speed Train) then you will have a seat reservation that's compatible with that seating layout. However, if it's substituted by a Turbo or Adelante, seat reservations do not apply in most circumstances and it's a free for all.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 01:45:44 »

It should be an HST (High Speed Train) and I'm not aware of any substitutions in recent weeks.

Yes, this is the set that overnights at Hereford. In any case, I don't think the remaining Adelantes are allowed to spend the night away from Old Oak Common. By 8pm, with main line services starting to wind down, it should be simple enough to pinch a terminating HST if the booked set plays up.

But if you miss this one, then the 21.48 from Paddington to Shrub Hill is always a two-car Turbo...
Andy W

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 09:30:27 »

It should be an HST (High Speed Train) and I'm not aware of any substitutions in recent weeks.

Yes, this is the set that overnights at Hereford. In any case, I don't think the remaining Adelantes are allowed to spend the night away from Old Oak Common. By 8pm, with main line services starting to wind down, it should be simple enough to pinch a terminating HST if the booked set plays up.

But if you miss this one, then the 21.48 from Paddington to Shrub Hill is always a two-car Turbo...

So if it overnights at Hereford why does the service terminate at Malvern? Am I missing something?
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 09:53:54 »

So if it overnights at Hereford why does the service terminate at Malvern? Am I missing something?

Could it be TM(resolve) and crewe are WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) based and need to get back easily?  Can drivers run it through to hereford if its out of service?

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 09:55:03 »

That's comforting then, i too will be using this service but from Paddington, though i di have a seat reservation  Smiley

Really dumb Q but why bother with a seat reservation on a train that will almost certainly be a ghost train?

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 10:09:49 »

Re seat reservations doesn't this one stop at Slough as well? Therefore, will probably be quite heavily loaded to Slough and Reading possibly Oxford.

I'm pretty sure it's been an HST (High Speed Train) the last few Fridays as we hear it in the Manor when it leaves from Platform 2 at Slough around 21:40.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 10:17:31 »

Re seat reservations doesn't this one stop at Slough as well? Therefore, will probably be quite heavily loaded to Slough and Reading possibly Oxford.

I'm pretty sure it's been an HST (High Speed Train) the last few Fridays as we hear it in the Manor when it leaves from Platform 2 at Slough around 21:40.

Back when it was a turbo is certainly WAS NOT busy on any night of the week - and that was when the 1921 was often subbed for a two car 165 which is why I got it so often..... I preferred to sit in the sloe bar for an hour and travel in comfort rather than be a sardine to oxford

Steve44

I quite like thames turbos...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 17:32:26 »

Really dumb Q but why bother with a seat reservation on a train that will almost certainly be a ghost train?

ummm.... because it was cheaper?  Roll Eyes
willc

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 23:23:14 »

Could it be TM(resolve) and crewe are WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) based and need to get back easily?  Can drivers run it through to hereford if its out of service?

Unless it has changed recently, at the start of year the crews were being driven out from or back to Bristol in a taxi in the middle of the night. Could be that it's since switched to Worcester staff, now that they are all 125-trained.

It goes to Hereford because there is space to stable it there and a suitable power supply to keep the batteries charged - runs empty because FGW (First Great Western) and London Midland, probably rightly, believe there's no demand west of Malvern at that time of night. In the mornings it leaves Hereford before 5am, so unlikely to be much trade then either.

I think the reason it can't overnight at Worcester at the moment is that the sidings are full of London Midland DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit), plus the Cotswold halts train Turbo, but FGW said at both the public meetings in Charlbury this year that they are looking at improving stabling facilities at Worcester anyway, which would presumably allow HSTs (High Speed Train) to spend the night there and cut out the cost of all those taxis.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 23:32:15 »

Unless it has changed recently, at the start of year the crews were being driven out from or back to Bristol in a taxi in the middle of the night. Could be that it's since switched to Worcester staff, now that they are all 125-trained.

It goes to Hereford because there is space to stable it there and a suitable power supply to keep the batteries charged - runs empty because FGW (First Great Western) and London Midland, probably rightly, believe there's no demand west of Malvern at that time of night. In the mornings it leaves Hereford before 5am, so unlikely to be much trade then either.

I think the reason it can't overnight at Worcester at the moment is that the sidings are full of London Midland DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit), plus the Cotswold halts train Turbo, but FGW said at both the public meetings in Charlbury this year that they are looking at improving stabling facilities at Worcester anyway, which would presumably allow HSTs (High Speed Train) to spend the night there and cut out the cost of all those taxis.

I thought the first halts train was the 0655 which COMES IN at 072ish (whilst I'm waiting for the 0732) - it goes to foregate then returns to form the 0655 to oxford

It DOES NOT START AT WOS OR ITS SIDINGS

ASFAIK it  comes from oxford not a WOS siding

However - if the train has to go to hereford why not run it -unless as I said crew have to get off at WOS and equally why not run it in reverse

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: