16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 18:51:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[80] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[46] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[42] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[34] underground plans for Bristol update.
[34] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Press Release - TransWilts Campaign  (Read 3589 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 06, 2009, 11:59:22 »

The following is the text of a press release that has gone out today

The Save the Train campaign, in association with the Melksham Railway Development Group (MRDG» (Melksham Railway Development Group - about)), the West Wilts Rail Users Group and others launched a campaign asking for people to pledge their support for an appropriate train service across Wiltshire - from Swindon to Salisbury via Chippenham, Melksham, Trowbridge, Westbury, Dilton Marsh and Warminster.

After just two full weeks, over 250 people, representing over 60,000 annual journeys within the county, have signed up.  Around 50 of the signatories are elected representatives, ranging from Parish Councillors to MEPs (Member of European Parliament), and many more represent other local organisations.

Says Sion Bretton, Secretary of MRDG "We have been working with Wiltshire Council, First Great Western and the Department for Transport for several years, and have a practical proposal for a service that could run, fully resourced, from this December. Our pledge is demonstrating to these key industry organsations that a service has community support and would be used; the campaign is to gain and retain the service"

The pledge will be open for signature until the end of May at
        http://www.transwilts.org.uk/

If the campaign is successful, the new service will see trains running from Swindon to Salisbury six times a day, giving two morning and afternoon peak trains each way in a practical commuter service, and intermediate trains for long distance travellers, eduction, business and leisure traffic, etc.

"First Great Western have improved many of their services that pass through Wiltshire in the last two year" say John Ingram, Chairman and Warminster Committee representative at the West Wilts Rail Users Group, "but the service linking the main Wiltshire Towns remains unfit for purpose, and dramatically worse than it was three years ago. The proposals are eminently practical and are what are needed to get the service up and running again."

** Why is the service needed?

* It takes 95 minutes by bus from Trowbridge to Swindon ... but just 35 minutes by train. Problem is - there are currently just two trains each way each day. ((Some 6000 employed people travel to work from West Wiltshire - the 'net outflow' - with Swindon being one of their top destinations))

* It takes two hours, with a change, by bus from Chippenham to Salisbury ... but under an hour by train. Problem is - there are currently just two trains a day southbound, and northbound you have to change. ((The new Unitary Authority needs a cohession that's currently missing for its council tax payers; journeys between the main centres of Chippenham, Melksham, Trowbridge and Salisbury are stifled by the botlenecks on the A350, some of which are expected to remain for the foreseeable future))

* Melksham - the fourth largest urban area in Wiltshire, and one where car ownership is below average, currently has just two trains each way each day - at 06:40 and 19:11 southbound, and at 07:17 and 19:50 northbound.

Graham Ellis, President of Melksham Chamber of Commerce, adds "In current economic times, businesses need to be 'Destination businesses' where customers choose to buy. An improved train service will provide a sustainable and efficient way for people to reach those businesses. It is for the good of the people, the good of the businesses, and the good of the County of Wiltshire"

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

This information is for immediate release, and my contact details may be published. Please get in touch if you would like any further information, or would like pictures, interview, etc.

Signatories so far: http://www.transwilts.org.uk/sf.html
New Draft timetable: http://www.transwilts.org.uk/tp.html
Further information: http://www.transwilts.org.uk/index.html

Initial Press Contact:

Graham Ellis
0800 043 8225 (freephone) or +44 (0) 1225 708225 (phone)
email - graham@wellho.net , fax +44 (0) 1225 707126

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 16:43:20 »

In support of our esteemed Moderator's Trans-Wilts campaign, I offer the following information and comments. I appreciate that this will be to some extent re-iteration but it may help keep the ball rolling.

The Swindon-Salisbury route is about 55 miles but of that only 12 miles (Chippenham-Trowbridge) is uniquely served. In fact the spine, local route is Warminster/Westbury/Troubridge/Melksham/Chippenham, about 20 miles. A change at Bath does actually allow the Swindon/Salisbury journey, albeit with a dogs leg and some extra time, although this is compensated for by 125 level speed and comfort on the Northern leg.

The figures below are instructive:

Town       Population (2001)   Station Footfall (a&d, 2007/8) Miles from Chippenham  FF/Pop Ratio

Chippenham    28065                    1473k                                0                           52.5
Melksham       20430                       38k                                6.25                         1.9
Trowbridge     28163                      571k                              11.75                        20.3
Westbury       11135                      345k                              15.75                        31.0
Warminster     17379                      304k                              20.5                          17.5 

E&OE

In my experience of several such reports, a good suburban station with a normal population of 8000 within 12 minutes/800m walk (2 km2) can expect about 25 journeys (a or d) per year, a footfall of 200k, about 600/day. The ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) figures confirm this. This varies with density of population, useful destination, service frequency and quality and railheading, which all raise or lower the footfall.

The Melksham figures are very low; either the service is poor or no-one wants to use the route - probably the former. If this is true then the Melksham ratio could reach c15, i.e. 306k arivals and departures. As capacity is said to be a problem then a Chippenham-Warminster service should relieve longer distance workings and allow growth.

The problem is, having demonstrated demand, finding the supply, i.e the Paths/Platforms/Stock/Staff.

Running even 90mph dmu's for 17 double-track miles from Swindon is probably not on. Equally, 20 stationless miles to Salisbury may only be duplication. The old South platform at Chippenham has been mentioned as a suitable bay to allow termination but whether NR» (Network Rail - home page) could achieve this and retain a workable B/C Ratio is questionable. Warminster may be able to turn a train at the MoD sidings but costs may accrue here also. Finding  dmu's for a new(ish) service is also a problem with existing trains being too short. Perhaps creative use of surplus cl 508's and 73's with tightlock couplers and Westcode brakes might be a solution.

Welcome to Merseyrail!

OTC

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 17:45:17 »

Interesting population statistics, however, would including Swindon (which it would appear, people want to go) also be useful?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 18:34:09 »

Interesting population statistics, however, would including Swindon (which it would appear, people want to go) also be useful?

Swindon - poplulation 155,432. Journeys 2,900,287.   Ratio 18.66.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 05:07:16 »

In support of our esteemed Moderator's Trans-Wilts campaign, I offer the following information and comments. I appreciate that this will be to some extent re-iteration but it may help keep the ball rolling.

OTC - your follow up is hugely appreciated; it is so easy for those of us deeply involved in the campaign to forget the newcomer - the same thing happens in my work, where I teach people how to use certain programming languages.  I have learned from the originators and key people of those languages, but those people are not necessarily the best of people to teach newcomers how to program in 'their' language.  I recall that when "SC" - the genius behind Parrot - joined one of our customers as an employee, I felt I would loose their Perl business - Parrot being a part of Perl.  But in practise, SC was an advocate or Perl but didn't "do" the beginner courses and I got busier rather than quieter at that site!

The Swindon-Salisbury route is about 55 miles but of that only 12 miles (Chippenham-Trowbridge) is uniquely served. In fact the spine, local route is Warminster/Westbury/Trowbridge/Melksham/Chippenham, about 20 miles. A change at Bath does actually allow the Swindon/Salisbury journey, albeit with a dogs leg and some extra time, although this is compensated for by 125 level speed and comfort on the Northern leg.

You're adding from around 15 to around 40 minutes travelling via Bath ... and at the stage that FGW (First Great Western) had terrible reliability issues a couple of years ago, the chance of one or other leg being held up, cancelled or boarding denied through overcrowding made the whole thing feel like a gamble.   But I have been proudly told by FGW that far more through West Wilts to Swindon passengers are happy enough with the dogleg to keep using the train than they had expected, and that reduces FGW's motivation to improve the TransWilts service. Connections have improved at Bath too.

"Where does the line finish at the southern end" has always been an interesting question. Originally, it was a mainline (the first railway to Westbury, from Chippenham) and Chippenham - Westbury - Frome - Yeovil - Weymouth was the route.  And indeed, an hourly train on this route, meeting at Westbury with the hourly Cardiff - Portsmouth for both-way cross-platform interchange is an interesting idea. Also westward from Westbury, Frome and Radstock have both been suggested as termini, an dboth have a logic in terms of the train service provision it would make for them and for the flows of traffic from them to Chippenham / Swindon.

The figures below are instructive:

Town       Population (2001)   Station Footfall (a&d, 2007/8) Miles from Chippenham  FF/Pop Ratio

Chippenham    28065                    1473k                                0                           52.5
Melksham       20430                       38k                                6.25                         1.9
Trowbridge     28163                      571k                              11.75                        20.3
Westbury       11135                      345k                              15.75                        31.0
Warminster     17379                      304k                              20.5                          17.5 

Adding to that - a ratio of 18.7 for Swindon, and 30.6 for Bradford-on-Avon

In my experience of several such reports, a good suburban station with a normal population of 8000 within 12 minutes/800m walk (2 km2) can expect about 25 journeys (a or d) per year, a footfall of 200k, about 600/day. The ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) figures confirm this. This varies with density of population, useful destination, service frequency and quality and railheading, which all raise or lower the footfall.

The Melksham figures are very low; either the service is poor or no-one wants to use the route - probably the former. If this is true then the Melksham ratio could reach c15, i.e. 306k arivals and departures. As capacity is said to be a problem then a Chippenham-Warminster service should relieve longer distance workings and allow growth.

Incredibly, even these Melksham footfall figures are distorted upwards by the sale of tickets which are marked "Melksham" but used from other local stations from which they are valid. I would suggest that the real figure would be nearer 0.5 than 1.9!

People with cars "railhead" to Chippenham and Bradford-on-Avon.  Indeed, the Council has maps showing where people originate from to travel from Chippenham and it turns out to be a park and ride station in a ludicrous (access via town centre!) place for a park and ride.  Catchment includes Calne, Malmesbury, Corsham ... and of course Melksham. Ironically, Melksham station is close to the trunk A350 and there is plenty of land available to build a decent park and ride there!

Do people want to use the route?  People will tend to give me (personally) a "yes we do" view when I speak to them, knowing my bias.  But there is plenty of evidence that the view is genuine, if slightly "icing on the cake" for some of them.  Look at the commuter outflow figure of 6000 net from West Wilts, look at the traffic on the A350.

But people can't use the route without exteme effort.  I was at the station the other day, meeting someone off a train (no buses, no phone there!) and met a guy with a bike.  In the summer, he's getting on the morning train with his cycle and then riding along the old canal towpath back in the evenings. Not the only example of extreme measures that have to be taken to make any use of the service, by any means.

The problem is, having demonstrated demand, finding the supply, i.e the Paths/Platforms/Stock/Staff.

The paths are there for an extra train running up and down Salisbury - Swindon, four times a day, between the 06:15 and 18:45 from Swindon. You also have platforming OK along the way (it's been checked), and we have a solution for the stock and are told that staff is also sorted. The pieces fall - very nicely indeed - into place.

Increase the frequency / reduce the route length and it's a better service in many ways *but* you have path and platform issues.

Running even 90mph dmu's for 17 double-track miles from Swindon is probably not on. Equally, 20 stationless miles to Salisbury may only be duplication. The old South platform at Chippenham has been mentioned as a suitable bay to allow termination but whether NR» (Network Rail - home page) could achieve this and retain a workable B/C Ratio is questionable. Warminster may be able to turn a train at the MoD sidings but costs may accrue here also. Finding  dmu's for a new(ish) service is also a problem with existing trains being too short. Perhaps creative use of surplus cl 508's and 73's with tightlock couplers and Westcode brakes might be a solution.

On routing on into Swindon, there are already a lot more seats than bums. That's because the 125 that runs every 30 minutes is on the quieter part of its route; it will fill up from Swindon in to London, and have been fuller from Bristol to Bath. So it makes sense to swap people over at Chippenham, even though the line capacity is there.  Better to make use of a 158 or 159 (please ;-) ) on providing more TransWilts services on a section that it uniquly covers, and where it can attract more people to rail.

With an increase in freight, and a turnback at Chippenham, there's a capacity issue on the single track and a robustness issue if any train is delayed.  A loop at Chhippenham, with a platform face, is already in Network Rail plans (2010 / 2011?) and that will provide a bay while the TransWilts reverses, and somewhere to sidetrack a train waiting for the route to Trowbridge out of the way.  You then start getting into capacity issues on the single track, and an intermediate signal (Princes Risborough to Aylesbury example quoted) would be an first step, a loop near (but not in the stations at) Melksham a second step, and redoubling the whole section from Chippenham to Trowbridge a third.

Paradoxically, I'm worried about a turnback at Warminster. On current form, some trains turn back there and their timing is lousy for people who want to go onwards to the south, as a terminator blocks the line and can't have 'the Portsmouth' scheduled right behind it.  A siding as at Bedwyn would indeed provide some sort of solution - however, I think it would be far better to run on to Salisbury.

Firstly, the Westbury - Salisbury can support a service up to half-hourly (I have data).  Secondly, many passengers off the Swindon - Chippenham - Melksham section are actually for destinations south of Warminster.  Thirdly, it would provide a revival for Dilton Marsh - Salisbury traffic (have you seen the residential growth at Westbury Leigh / Dilton Marsh?). Fouthly, the service from Salisbury via Trowbridge and Melksham to Chippenham will link the four largest urban areas of the new Wiltshire Unitary Authority.

Looking a coupling class 508 electric units to a class 73 diesel is an interesting thought.  And I know that diesel + slide-door electric is done at Bo'ness sometimes, and the Bournemouth - Weymouth history.  The campaign is emphatically not looking for a heritage operation, but rather a reliable service with a reasonable number of trains each day, but you never know.  Two questions - would cl 508 clear the platform at Trowbridge?   And being a type of stock in use to provide service on just one line in the area, how many would you need as backups / who would be trained on maintaining them / what would availability be like?  Perhaps we should chat with the people who run the Taunton - Cardiff loco hauled service and suggest they us 1 73 / 508 combo too. (73 only has low horsepower off electric; would it be poerful enough?)

Welcome to Merseyrail!

OTC

Many, many thanks for that "foil" against which I've had the opportunity to provide a few more answers.

In summary, the case is well thought out, costed and resourced. It stands up. And we're looking forward too - 2011, 2014, 2019 and 2026 all appear in plans / cases / reports.  We want to gain and retain an appropriate service!

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 17:18:48 »

Glad to help your cause.

In software terms I'm still a command line user, indeed I've hung on to my (heritage) 80-column punched cards and 8-hole tape - I could once read the ASCII character set and correct it with the (manual) hole punch!

As to the OP (Original Poster / topic starter):

Reading G's FF/population ratio is c65. Swindon at 18.7 is clearly not a cool place to go.

FGW (First Great Western) is correct in asserting that most of its customers are geographically ignorant and only judge a journey by its time and quality. It's the same on LUL (London Underground Ltd) where silly routes look fine on the network map.

Class 508's (like me) aren't heritage yet and there are 15 or so to spare. A class 73 has 600 HP on diesel but has effective electric transmission. The combination would therefore be a better performer than a heritage dmu with gearboxes, from the 10x series. The 73's have taken 7-coach cross-countries at a pinch although they are slow climbers, with that much to lift. They have had draw-bar surgery successfully, to haul Eurostars. Your rightly preferred Class 158/9's have a long waiting list but that's Socialism....

Would Melksham be better served by a Bath - Chippenham via Trowbridge service? The triangular ending can work, as at Glossop/Hadfield (up North). This would seem to maximise journey opportunities while minimising mileage, necessary as you have so few trains.

Finally, I feel that a credible station helps immensely to get and keep users; i.e. with car park, station offices (even if let), waiting area/concourse/loos and a platform canopy. Too many provincial (sorry) halts look like bus shelters on bomb-sites. Perhaps some brown/cream paint on the railings etc and some "Melksham Spa" signs (even Totems) would get it all started.

Good Luck,

OTC

PS The 508 series fit down some real rat-holes so they should be fine on ex-broad gauge routes.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 17:24:09 by onthecushions » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: