Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningShort Run
18:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 00:44:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[230] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[109] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[71] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[41] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[37] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[30] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: ATOC - makes case for new railway lines  (Read 21551 times)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2009, 17:49:52 »

So would you have prefered no action. That's what the Tories would have done.

Labour intervened and ACTED over Northern Rock and B&B. These actions were opposed by the Tories.... Oh look, they worked!
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2009, 17:51:04 »

just remind me... what was mr browns old job
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2009, 17:52:02 »

Why should I give him credit when it means my taxes are in future going to be astronomical?

I'm already fairly outraged at the ^7.50 in NI i've had to pay this year! Thank god I don't qualify to pay tax yet. 18 soon. Joys  Tongue

A passing comment on Labour, do they not slightly resemble a Tory government?

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2009, 17:54:12 »

i know this is going off the subject of trains... but is the government funds put into the banks put into shares? if it is if the bank then goes bust are the share holders not then liable to pay
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2009, 18:24:58 »

Why should I give him credit when it means my taxes are in future going to be astronomical?

Taxes will be high - due to the bailing out of the banks (well the borrowing needed to do this).

however, had Brown taken the Tory route of doing nothing, the banks would have collapsed and the UK (United Kingdom) could have gone bankrupt.

I think you would have a lot more to worry about than higher taxes. Mr Brown did not cause the recession. Indeed, because of his actions, the UK is seeing as few effects as the UK could. And with the right vision and poilicies, we can come out of the recession with strength.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2009, 18:31:02 »

I'm sure what you say is true (... Tongue) however I live in an anti Labour area and as such have no reason to think that a party who makes it easier to live on the dole and work is a good one. Why should people who are succesful pay 45% of their wages in taxes? Why are universities so expensive (isn't it free in Scotland?) etc etc

Anyway, I think that the tories aren't the big bad mean party that they once were and actually care about the future of the country. Labour seems very pro-road as far as I can see, so what makes it more like that they will invest  Huh

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2009, 18:32:31 »

the uk would be alot better off if contracts were awarded to british companies not other countrys which just leads to less jobs less money within the uk lower spending even less jobs and just to make things worse higher carbon footprint on your goods i good example is train construction will these be fully constructed in the uk like they used to be? we all know the answer to that
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2009, 18:50:52 »

To be honest the Lib-Lab Con are all morphing into one. And none of them stand up to say anything anymore.

Note, one area where I favour the Tories is Europe. Lab and Lib are too Euro-friendly for my liking - why any party can associate itself with the most corrupt so called "democracy" in the Western World beats me! In fact, you can't call the EU» (European Union - about) parliament a democracy!

So I agree with the Tories (and UKIP) about keeping the pound etc, and being Eurosceptic.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2009, 18:52:12 »

I'm already fairly outraged at the ^7.50 in NI i've had to pay this year! Thank god I don't qualify to pay tax yet. 18 soon. Joys  Tongue

You pay tax at any age if you earn enough.  Age does not come into it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2009, 18:59:13 »

but if you only paid that little on nat insurance im guessing that you have not yet met the tax threshold
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2009, 18:59:47 »

UKIP [...] Eurosceptic.

I wonder why the term 'Eurosceptic' has been applied to the likes of UKIP?

The word 'sceptic' comes from the Greek skeptomai, meaning to look about, or consider. Indeed, the modern meaning is used to describe one who questions the reliability of a claim or theory by subjecting it to a systematic investigation, and implies that you've actually bothered to think about it...

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2009, 19:08:09 »

You pay tax at any age if you earn enough.  Age does not come into it.

Very true. Believe my limit is something like ^5,500 per tax year. Luckily, due to being paid weekly, the way NI and tax are working out is different. (at least I think!)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2009, 19:16:13 »

Ahem! Going to step in here and draw a line under this evening's politics debate, one in which I put my hand up for making a contribution to at the start so we can get back to the topic in hand of the case for re-opening railway lines which does very much have politics at its heart but we were heading down the wrong line!

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2009, 19:22:39 »

The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2009, 19:23:56 »

Perhaps it would be more constructive (no pun intended) for ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here)/NatR/NR» (Network Rail - home page) to focus on a few key line re-openings?

Rather than a report like this which is just like "bluuuur! Here's a list of a hundred lines to open!"

It seems it hasn't been thought through, and to be honest, adding a 2 mile branch here with a PPM(resolve) isn't going to do much!

However, key lines like Uckfield - Lewes, or Derby - Manchester, which can relive pressure on other main lines and remove bottlenecks (a) are more likely to be built and (b) are going to be more helpful in the short & long term!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: