21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
This is
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 04:45:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[216] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[102] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[69] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[66] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[38] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[28] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Post electrification rolling stock  (Read 24438 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2013, 19:30:54 »

One of the key drivers that make ETCS (European Train Control System) / ETMS viable is to coincide re-signalling with new trains, the Southern routes (Wessex Sussex Kent) are likely the last routes to be done due to the age of the rolling stock.  Give it 10 years when the HST (High Speed Train)'s are 50 the signalling in the Exeter, Plymouth and Cornwall will be due (even over due) for renewal

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 00:17:16 »

The HST (High Speed Train)'s demise will be brought about by the adoption of in-cab signalling systems, ETCS (European Train Control System) / ETRMS etc, by the cost of retro fitting the equipment into 30 to 40 year old power cars, the plan being adopted on the ECML (East Coast Main Line) is for no line side signal so I am not sure how the open access Grand Central will deal with this.  The GW (Great Western) are not removing line side signals ..... yet
Grand Central have recently stated a desire to move to an all 180 fleet. Retrofitting ETCS to 180s will presumably be more economically viable.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2013, 16:30:59 »

Are there any 180s available? I hope they do not want our Cotswold Line 180s as despite the unreliability reputation, they are the most suitable and comfortable trains on our line.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 16:40:01 »

I think we're talking post electrification, aren't we? Bi-modes will be on the North Cotswolds by then.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 17:08:23 »

Presumably something can be done about the prehistoric signalling around Worcester.
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 18:37:30 »

Grand Central plan to lease the 4 class 180s used by Hull Trains to retire their HSTs (High Speed Train). Hull Trains have proposed paying for electrification from Hull to the ECML (East Coast Main Line) to the tune of ^90m if they get their new 10 year track access agreement. This will require a fleet of electric trains, enabling the release of their class 180 fleet.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2013, 23:34:17 »

The HST (High Speed Train)'s demise will be brought about by the adoption of in-cab signalling systems, ETCS (European Train Control System) / ETRMS etc, by the cost of retro fitting the equipment into 30 to 40 year old power cars, the plan being adopted on the ECML (East Coast Main Line) is for no line side signal so I am not sure how the open access Grand Central will deal with this.  The GW (Great Western) are not removing line side signals ..... yet

The details in the Draft CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) Enhancements Delivery Plan are a bit more specific:
1. The current baseline for passenger trains includes classes 43 and 91 (p25).
2. Below a list of the phases work for ETCS on the ECML, is this note:
   "DfT» (Department for Transport - about) has requested Network Rail to identify the impact of deferring the commissioning
of King^s Cross to South Peterborough to February 2020 or the provision of an overlay in
December 2018 to facilitate an efficient train fitment programme (i.e remove the need to
retrofit Class 43 & Class 92 [sic] sets). Network Rail and DfT are continuing to review the
options."
(I presume that ought to say "Class 43 & Class 91".)
gogogoadam

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2014, 20:14:13 »

Presumably something can be done about the prehistoric signalling around Worcester.

I hope not! It's one of the only reasons to visit Worcester !!!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2014, 17:12:15 »

I hope not! It's one of the only reasons to visit Worcester !!!

I add my welcome to those on the other thread, gogogoadam, and admit to sharing your clear fondness for antique signalling. I doubt it can survive the next step of the march of progress, even if it side-stepped the previous dozen.

There are many other things to do in Worcester by way of both amusement and self-education. For a start, there's, er, there's...

I can't quite put my finger on anything just now.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2014, 17:29:12 »

For a start, there's, er, there's...

Cafe Loco!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2014, 19:11:52 »

There's the Worcester City Art Gallery & Museum, just up the road from Foregate St station, where you can learn some of the history of the city's vinegar and sauce factories. These industries grew from humble beginnings in various Chemist shops in Worcester. The museum has a recreation of a 19th century Chemist's.

Well, it provided an interesting diversion for me on a wet Wednesday when I was waiting for the bi-hourly service to Bristol.

There's always a bottle of Lea & Perrins^ in my cupboard. Currently got a bottle of the Special Edition. I can normally find an excuse to incorporate it into any meal. And even the odd drink.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2014, 21:05:03 »

What is there to do in Worcester? Well...

There's the Cathedral, with its superb choral tradition and splendid new organ.

There's some truly excellent pubs: the Plough, the Cardinal's Hat, the King Charles II, the Dragon, and many more. I'd venture to say that, in Great Western territory, perhaps only Bristol can beat it.

There's the mighty River Severn and the little canal, very pleasant for idly gongoozling, or for a walk along the Severn Way on a summer's afternoon. And there's a bunch of very pleasant cycle routes, not least via the new Diglis Bridge, for relaxed exploring.

Worcester's a lovely city: we like it so much we chose to moor our narrowboat there when we moved it down from the Midlands, rather than the closer options of the Thames or the Oxford Canal. But one of the joys of it is that it isn't overrun with tourists. So don't tell anyone. Wink
martvw

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2014, 21:42:05 »

I agree with Stebbo , the signalling in and around Worcester is prehistoric . If one likes this type of signalling so much , why not pay a visit to one of the heritage railways in the area e.g. the SVR or GWR (Great Western Railway) , the sooner the Worcester signalling is updated the better! I was once asked if Shrub Hill station was part of the Severn Valley Railway by a American visitor !  As for things to do in Worcester, I agree with Richard Fairhurst , many people like to visit this lovely city for the cricket or the races, or of course there are the lovely riverside walks , south quay with its water feature is very popular, and there is always the beautiful Cathedral !! And the city centre shops are as good as in many bigger cities.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2014, 22:44:35 »

There's the mighty River Severn and the little canal, very pleasant for idly gongoozling, or for a walk along the Severn Way on a summer's afternoon. And there's a bunch of very pleasant cycle routes, not least via the new Diglis Bridge, for relaxed exploring.

"Gongoozling" (my emphasis) - a word I had never known prior to reading "Narrow Dog to Carcassonne" by Terry Darlington, recommended for anyone who ever wondered what it was like to sail a canal boat across the English Channel then down through the French inland waterways. It comes recommended.

And now you've all mentioned it, I remember what a treasure trove Worcester is from an amusement point of view. Had it been less so, I would have drunk less, and remembered more. It is also useful to the pilot of the light aircraft. With the classic combination of railway lines, canal, river, and motorway, even I couldn't mistake it for Ross on Wye.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: