21:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
19:48 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 22:46:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[199] Just how big is the gap to mind?
[167] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[112] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[69] June to December 2024 Timetables
[26] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[22] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick Turn Around leave trains toilet-less  (Read 14098 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 17:37:31 »

Westbury has a fixed hose position along the platform which i presume feeds water.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 20:58:34 »

Ah but at Paddington you dont need bowsers anymore.  A few years ago water pipes were installed at platforms 1 - 5 and platform 8. They are under the metal platform edges which you can see breaking up the concrete edgeing stones.

The problem with the refurb is that you have increased the number of passengers which can be carried whilst at the same time reducing your toilet capacity by 15% as two of the toilets have been converted to trolley storage rooms.

FGW (First Great Western) have recognised this and all HST (High Speed Train)'s are now watered at Paddington.  However sometimes when the train is late into the station they do not have time to do this and so you get the problems you mention.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 14:54:41 »

They don't water Buffets at Paddington then, for some strange reason Railway Safety Standards (but only on the former Western region) prohibit watering Buffet tanks from stand pipes.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 18:46:05 »

Right, now to give you good people on this forum something to think about,
Besides squeezing in Extra seats in standard class HST (High Speed Train) Cars, Two toilets have been removed from every HST, so demand for toilets on these trains is Higher than before, not nice when tanks Aren't filled properly during turn rounds.

However WHEN Great Western took over from BR (British Rail(ways)) there were

8 Bowsers at Paddington   Now less
6 Bowsers at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI))            Now 3
5 Bowsers at Plymouth      Now 3
5 Bowers at Penzance       Now 2
3 Bowsers at Exeter St D   Now 1
1 Bowser at Westbury       Now less than 1
may be there were even more at places like Worcester and Oxford.

Makes a DARN BIG difference filling a turn-about train with 1 bowser rather than 3, and during the day the shortage of Water on HST just gets bigger when services leave from say Plymouth with only PART filled tanks.
Wonder what FGW (First Great Western) would say about this?

Of course I have never worked out why the toilet tanks, (Not Buffet Tanks) don't have a common service pipe from one end of an HST car to the other so a car only has to be filled ONCE rather than Twice.
Penzance station went from BR to South Wales and West railway, then to Wales and West, then to Wessex trains before going to FGW.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 10:14:15 »

I think what all these posts show is that beancounters rule the roost even at D(a)fT level. They require maximum utilisation of the minimum amout of stock with which you can run the service, at the least overall cost.

Therefore, having staff and equipment to water trains in the short turnrounds required by the mantra of maximum stock utilisation is considered too costly.

Until we all complain everytime we find a toilet out of action or waterless the situation will not improve. 

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 11:14:30 »

They don't water Buffets at Paddington then, for some strange reason Railway Safety Standards (but only on the former Western region) prohibit watering Buffet tanks from stand pipes.

I guess the distinction between toilet and buffet tanks is that buffet tanks need to be filled with drinking water whereas toilet tanks do not. 

I assume that you could get drinking water out of a standpipe but assume that they would need to be subjected to a cleaning and/or testing regime to check that the water was safe to drink.

Just a question, but how long does it take to tank a toilet? could anything be done to speed this up?  Extra Bowsers and better organisation can't be that difficult or expensive can it?  I guess the problem with late running trains is that they may end up missing more than one tanking oportunity if they stay late until the end of their diagram.   Does the TM(resolve) always know when the tanks are empty?  Do staff check that there is water in the taps? Is there any indicator of the water level available to staff (other than the overflow when they are filled up or there is no water in the taps).  It seems to me that the first step to FGW (First Great Western) solving the problem is having an efficient method of knowing when and which tanks are empty.

A couple of years ago. I was on a Scotland-penzance voyager.  I joined at BNS (Barnes (not Birmingham New Street)) and left at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)).  By Cheltenham all the toilets were out of use (jammed door on one, other two empty).  The TM announced at BTM that there were toilets in the station subway but that he would only wait 3 minutes at BTM.  As I left the train, I glanced back at it and say two blokes taking a p1ss against the side of the voyager.  Unacceptable behaviour I know, but an appropriate comment on the design of that train I thought
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: