11:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:18 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 13:48:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[258] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[76] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[70] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[56] underground plans for Bristol update.
[56] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[14] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: have you or known any one who has missed the last train london to Bristol?  (Read 2449 times)
infoman

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2023, 08:46:06 »

I was talking to some one who had missed the last train from London to Bristol.

They told me he got on the train from London to Newbury

but there was no connection to anywhere except back to Reading for a service to Didcot

I said to them COULD you not have gone to Heathrow via Heathrow express and pick up a coach back to Bristol?

Didn't "think of it at the time" they said.

So I decided to have a look if my info WAS correct,OOPS!

Having said that, IF the last train was missed,suggest catch the first local train from London to Reading and pick up the 00:50am Megabus service direct to Bristol

It might not suit every one but I would prefer some one to pick me up(in the middle of the night) from Bristol if I lived in Bath or maybe Melksham

Not sure the taxis costs would be to your home from Bristol coach terminus.

Could some one check if any of my up to date advice is correct.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2023, 09:33:29 »

Mid-week ... there are three coach arrivals into Bristol and here's how to connect into them (thank you, Google)

23:32 - GWR (Great Western Railway) train, 01:06 (I think that is changed from normal on the say I checked due to engineering)
23:36 - Elizabeth Line change Southall onto 105 bus, Heathrow onto National Express, 02:35
23:51 - 36 bus via Victoria Coach Station then National Express, 02:50
00:45 - GWR train to Reading, Megabus, 03:25
05:23 - GWR train, 06:58

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2023, 11:03:15 »

Mid-week ... there are three coach arrivals into Bristol and here's how to connect into them (thank you, Google)

23:32 - GWR (Great Western Railway) train, 01:06 (I think that is changed from normal on the say I checked due to engineering)
23:36 - Elizabeth Line change Southall onto 105 bus, Heathrow onto National Express, 02:35
23:51 - 36 bus via Victoria Coach Station then National Express, 02:50
00:45 - GWR train to Reading, Megabus, 03:25
05:23 - GWR train, 06:58

Looking at those options I think I'd find an all night cafe/get my head down in a quiet corner and get the 0523!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2023, 11:10:50 »

Looking at those options I think I'd find an all night cafe/get my head down in a quiet corner and get the 0523!

Depends what you are going home to and/or consequences of being out overnight?

I wondered about doubling back on the sleeper, but then it would require quite a quick decision if you missed the 23:32

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2023, 18:47:40 »

I never miss 'Last Train to London'

It's track one, side two, on the vinyl release of the Electric Light Orchestra's 'Discovery' album. Tongue

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2023, 19:45:13 »

I never miss 'Last Train to London'

There is always another the next day ... or in the case of Pilning the next week.  Last train to Padstow was 30 January 1967 - that would have been a sad occasion to miss.

I have only ever done three "lasts".

One was the last 4DD run from Charing Cross to Dartford; it had probably had its time and it was a little sad.

The second was the last return commuter train from Swindon to Melksham just after 17:30 one friday evening in late 2006.  The utter disgust as fury of the passengers on that train ... which took until 2013 to get back.

The third was the last through train from Waterloo to Bristol Temple Meads and that withdrawn for reasons that still make my blood boil. There remains logic in running such a service - far more logic than in not running it.   

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2023, 00:09:25 »

I missed the last train from Salisbury once, due to excessive drink and forgetting the time. Had to stay overnight in a VERY basic pub B+B.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2023, 00:24:27 »

I've never really missed a last train.

Did once board the last fast train to Bristol from Taunton after an evening's partaking of several glasses (okay... it was a couple bottle's worth) of an agreeable Merlot. Was awoken by train cleaners at Birmingham New Street. The 'railway' got me home the following day at no additional train fare cost. The hotel was on me though.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2023, 07:41:05 »

Have the last trains got later or earlier over the years?   The days of the extensive sleeper network and newspaper trains - was the network characterised by thinner spread services during the day but a sprinkling, now virtually all gone, though the night?   I recall a journey (end to end) on the 18:58 Aberystwyth to York, changing there onto the Glasgow to Colchester service.

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2023, 12:42:33 »

I wondered about doubling back on the sleeper, .........

A major risk in itself! Any guarantee the sleeper is running?
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2023, 10:03:35 »

Have the last trains got later or earlier over the years?   The days of the extensive sleeper network and newspaper trains - was the network characterised by thinner spread services during the day but a sprinkling, now virtually all gone, though the night?   I recall a journey (end to end) on the 18:58 Aberystwyth to York, changing there onto the Glasgow to Colchester service.

In the early years of me being a WSR volunteer while living in Evesham, I would attend one of our interminable meetings in the Black Horse, on Station Road, in the upstairs room with a shaky floor and a paraffin stove that I felt sure would choke us all, get on the last train to Bristol, and thence on the 0110 to (??) Leeds as far as Cheltenham.  Always a grubby BCK (Brake Composite Corridor (carriage)) or two attached to a long parcels/mail train for insomniac or inebriated passengers.  Class 45xxx up front, and a long wait at Gloucester Eastgate loading and unloading traffic.  Them was the days
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2023, 17:50:34 »

Did you ever meet Harry Webber (or might have been Evans) who boarded at Gloucester for his shift which started at 06:00am?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: