16:18 London Paddington to Swansea
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 17:59:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[80] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[46] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[42] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[34] underground plans for Bristol update.
[34] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Odd one out?  (Read 24328 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 21:21:58 »

Tounge firmly in cheek.

No 2 Haymarket all the rest belonged to pre grouping companies starting with Great! 

Tongue position noticed.  I'm going to contend that in any list of four stations, every single one could be "odd one out" for some reason!   All the following are correct selections ... yet none are what I had thought as I made up the questions!

Heathrow Central is also odd because you can make a free journey on the T4 shuttle!

1. Cardiff Bay is the odd one out because its in Wales the rest are in England

8. Glasgow Queen Street is the only one without a direct service to London Kings Cross - though it used to have one.

Goodness yes ... so it is!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 22:08:45 »

Haltwhistle
Blaeneau Ffestiniog
Aberystwyth
Ravenglass

There are both standard gauge and and historic narrow gauge railways at Blaeneau Ffestiniog (Ffestiniog Railway), Aberystwyth (Vale of Rheidol Railway) and Ravenglass (Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway).

Although part of the former standard gauge branch line from Alston to Haltwhistle has been reopened as a narrow gauge line it has not so far reached Hatlwhistle.

Therefore Haltwhistle is the odd one out.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 00:15:38 »

Therefore Haltwhistle is the odd one out.

Well reasoned, and correct to what I had in mind.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 08:31:48 »

Lots of good answers which I have attempted to cut in to the original questions.    I'm not sure about Duncraig / Dunrobin / Sugar Loaf / Falls of Cruachan - thought they were all request stops, but looks like that has changed for Falls of Cruachan - for this year?

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 08:58:34 »

Bristol Temple Meads is the only one of the four owned and managed by the same entity.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 09:05:44 »

1. - Marlow - You can catch a train going more than just one stop
Windsor and Eton Central
Marlow
Stourbridge Town
Cardiff Bay
Marlow - 2 trains on branch allowed not just one - eightf48544
Stourbridge Town - not worked by a conventional emu - eightf48544
Cardiff Bay - only one in Wales - Electric Train

The "Marlow Branch" is technically a single line with branch each with their own ELR (Engineers Line Reference)  Maidenhead - Bourne End is WBB and Bourne End - Marlow MWB.  

Two trains cannot be allowed on one of the lines at any one time; WBB is protected by "Token Block" (Tyer's No 9 key token) and MWB is protected by "Electric Train Staff"

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 09:43:59 »

8. Did you have in mind that Hull Paragon, Glasgow Queen Street High Level,  and Inverness are termini but Perth is a through station? That's so, though confused somewhat by the railways' insistence that, notwithstanding what it says on the building itself, Hull Paragon Interchange (HUU) is a bus stop next to Hull station (HUL).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 10:58:39 »

8. Did you have in mind that Hull Paragon, Glasgow Queen Street High Level,  and Inverness are termini but Perth is a through station? That's so, though confused somewhat by the railways' insistence that, notwithstanding what it says on the building itself, Hull Paragon Interchange (HUU) is a bus stop next to Hull station (HUL).

Oh gosh - actually I didn't have that in mind.  And "throughness" is arguable at Inverness as there are a few trains for which it's an intermediate stop , with the train reversing into a platform, all of which could be considered to be bays!

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2014, 11:35:34 »

Oh gosh - actually I didn't have that in mind.  And "throughness" is arguable at Inverness as there are a few trains for which it's an intermediate stop , with the train reversing into a platform, all of which could be considered to be bays!

Topologically, it's clear enough whether you can drive a train out of either end of a platform and go somewhere, and "through" I think captures that. "Terminus" may not be its exact opposite, as it suggests something about services, not just track. But is there another word?

By the way, I've just realised that you started this thread less than 24 hours ago, so you may feel my suggestion (though not the first for that question) maybe premature; in which case I apologise.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2014, 11:56:34 »

Topologically, it's clear enough whether you can drive a train out of either end of a platform and go somewhere, and "through" I think captures that. "Terminus" may not be its exact opposite, as it suggests something about services, not just track. But is there another word?

Goodness only knows ...  Wink ... discussion stations and how to categorise might include Bere Alston, Ormskirk and Porthmadog Harbour

By the way, I've just realised that you started this thread less than 24 hours ago, so you may feel my suggestion (though not the first for that question) maybe premature; in which case I apologise.

The intent / spirit of that rule (in these quizzes) is simply to avoid a large numbers of answers being given by just one or two people before anyone else gets a chance, and I'm more than happy that the spirit's been followed - especially in an experimental type of quiz like this one that's throwing up so many curved balls!

brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2014, 12:38:30 »

9. All four have a token 'parliamentary' service, but Denton is the only one without a train calling on Saturdays.
Denton is also the only one which only has a service in one direction.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2014, 12:49:08 »

5.   All have been renamed by adding to the original wording, except for Fishguard Harbour.

Or something like that...

Paul
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2014, 13:01:03 »

6.  Constitution Hill, Lynton, and (the) Ptarmigan are all top stations of funiculars. Nant Gwernol is the upper-end terminus of a "plain" narrow-gauge hill railway. Now, if you tell me that's not what you intended ...
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2014, 13:34:17 »

6.  Constitution Hill, Lynton, and (the) Ptarmigan are all top stations of funiculars. Nant Gwernol is the upper-end terminus of a "plain" narrow-gauge hill railway. Now, if you tell me that's not what you intended ...

Phew!   That is exactly what I intended  Grin

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2014, 13:40:07 »

9. All four have a token 'parliamentary' service, but Denton is the only one without a train calling on Saturdays.
Denton is also the only one which only has a service in one direction.

A good pair of reasons why Denton is the odd one out.   My original thought was that Shippea Hill (I have been there and it looked pretty flat to me!) is the odd one out due to pattern of service, but I do agree that Denton is pretty odd!

5.   All have been renamed by adding to the original wording, except for Fishguard Harbour.

Or something like that...

Paul

Oh wow - you're somewhat beyond my ken with that, but I don't doubt that you're right.   There was a post earlier that the operator and owner are the same only at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) ... also true, and it's along those lines that my original odd one out thoughts lay.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: