22:30 Cardiff Central to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
18:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
19:15 Penzance to Bristol Temple Meads
20:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 22:42 Exeter St Davids to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 23:40:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[245] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[75] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[56] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[43] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[40] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[32] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best way to deal with squirrels - whether of the grey or red variety?
Get rid of all the grey ones - they are not native - 7 (25.9%)
Manage the numbers of the grey ones - 10 (37%)
Look after the red ones in preference to the grey ones - 7 (25.9%)
Get rid of all squirrels, of whatever hue - 1 (3.7%)
Don't know / care - 2 (7.4%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Squirrels - red or grey, on the railways or otherwise: merged topic  (Read 39810 times)
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2014, 21:39:49 »

Call me a sentimental ol' soul...

Alright then...You're a sentimental ol' soul.

Smiley
Mmm, well, I asked for that. didn't I?!

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2014, 22:15:42 »

I, too, am rather sentimental about the little furry people: that's partly why I posted this topic.  Embarrassed Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2014, 03:10:01 »

Continuing the theme from the OP (Original Poster / topic starter). Another station caf^. But where?

I would also say, "Where's James?" but that's a bit obvious.  Cheesy

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2014, 20:48:09 »

I, too, am rather sentimental about the little furry people: that's partly why I posted this topic.  Embarrassed Roll Eyes
And there was me thinking we were talking about squirrels! Cheesy

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2014, 22:58:41 »

What about these furry people then?.... again from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Swindon water voles to be released in Hampshire river

The endangered mammals have been taken to a breeder in Devon and will be released in the River Meon in Hampshire in the summer

More than 60 endangered water voles captured on canals in Swindon are to be released into a river in Hampshire.

Keystone Ecology, under licence from Natural England, trapped voles on the Wiltshire and Berkshire Canal and at Studley ahead of bank rebuilding work.

The voles were taken to a breeder in Devon and will be released into Hampshire's River Meon this summer.

Sarah Jackson, from Keystone, said no suitable sites were available nearby, making live capture "the last option".

The water vole is one of Britain's fastest-declining mammals but according to Ms Jackson, there are "too many" on the Wichelstowe stretch of canal in Swindon.

"There are lots of water voles in Wichelstowe and in the bad weather this winter, there were burrows popping up everywhere," she said.

"On a 560m (1,840ft) section of canal, we assumed a population of around 45 to 50 voles and caught around 40 animals - which is a decent number."

'Large scale reintroduction'

More than 100 traps baited with apple were set up along both banks of the Swindon canal at the beginning of April.

In weeks, 40 voles were captured, along with 20 more on an old section of canal running through Studley Grange.

More than 100 traps baited with apple were set up along both banks of the canal in Swindon at the beginning of April
"All the animals have been taken to purpose-built holding facilities in Devon," said Ms Jackson.

"It's not ideal to transport them quite so far away but they are being incorporated into a large-scale reintroduction project for the species."

The voles, along with hundreds of others from across the UK (United Kingdom), are being reintroduced into the Meon Valley in Hampshire, where the mammal is considered "locally extinct".
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 08:59:09 »

Just spotted him!

We may need more clues: Is this on a heritage line?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2014, 15:39:18 »

Just spotted him!

We may need more clues: Is this on a heritage line?

No, but there is one close by.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2014, 21:39:14 »

Is it the cafe located in the old signalbox at Totnes?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2014, 21:53:07 »

Is it the cafe located in the old signalbox at Totnes?

Correct.

One has to get up very early to beat you, brooklea!  Tongue Wink Grin

A couple more pictures of the Caf^ in the old signal box at Totnes:

And one of the exterior:

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2014, 22:23:01 »

Well that had me foxed (geddit?)

How about this one?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2014, 23:27:25 »

Well... I thought FT, N might have taken a punt at this one!

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2014, 23:29:54 »

Ooo, is it somewhere on the proposed route of Bristol's Bust Rabid Trans*it?

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2014, 10:26:15 »

It IS!

Would it help if I panned out a bit?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2014, 11:37:14 »

Looks like a footbridge across the tidal course of the River Avon that's parallelish to (and to the south of) the feeder canal / Floating Harbour.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2014, 12:05:21 »

Much more than a footbridge, and not parallel to the Feeder...

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: