16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 17:34:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[80] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[46] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[42] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[34] underground plans for Bristol update.
[34] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25
  Print  
Author Topic: Newquay and Plymouth Airports - their rise and fall - ongoing discussion  (Read 106238 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 05, 2010, 08:41:11 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

London City air route from Devon and Cornwall scrapped

Devon and Cornwall are to lose one of their air links with London, a local airline has announced.

Air SouthWest is scrapping its service between Newquay and Plymouth and City Airport.

The twice-daily route was launched last year but Air SouthWest said it had not paid its way.

The last City Airport flights would be on 21 May, the airline said. The company's four daily flights to London Gatwick would continue, it added.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 05, 2010, 12:22:51 »

Was very pleasing news at 07:57 in the morning.

Amusingly I thought of 'woody' and a number of his comments regarding FGWs (First Great Western) profits being knocked.  Cheesy
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 05, 2010, 16:36:21 »

Grin

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 05, 2010, 17:15:41 »

what a shame, oh dear hehehehehehehehe
woody

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 05, 2010, 18:18:32 »

More info here- http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/Plymouth-8217-s-London-air-link-axe-blamed-high-costs-low/article-2110532-detail/article.html.
It an ill wind(even a volcanic one) that does not blow some good.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #185 on: May 06, 2010, 10:03:13 »

It is almost always sad when a transport link is reduced / closed down - it takes away an opportunity and can have a serious effect not only on the obvious users of the route, but some of the hidden ones too.  You won't find me cheering at the loss of a service even one that happens to compete with the mode I would typically choose to use. However, there is a need for a shakeout from time to time - a rejigging / rebalancing of services.

I'm out of the UK (United Kingdom) at the moment - flew yesterday, long haul.  There are at least three flights a day from London (Heathrow) to the airport that I landed at, and all three of them were at the arrival gates along side each other.   Yet the plane we were in was only between 25% and 40% full (interesting, higher occupany rate in business and first judging by numbers given to me by flight crew).  Now this situation has me wondering at the effect on the economics, the environment, etc, really justify all three flights.   With a 7 hour journey, and a major timezone change, I can't imagine the (say) hour or so between each of the planes makes a major difference.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 06, 2010, 23:20:55 »

I have no sympathy for ASW, they chose to take on the big boys and they got hurt! Their advertising was specificly aimed at the railways with adverts that were distasteful to say the least, whilst FGW (First Great Western) simply sat quietly and didn't bite back. They played with fire and got their backsides burned!
woody

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 07, 2010, 11:06:08 »

This comment from a reader of the Plymouth Evening Herald seems to hit the nail on the head.
 " Load factors on any route are not the defining figures.

Yield is the important calculation, ie the amount an airline makes in profit from a route.

If an airline's costs are high to operate a route then fares rise to try to compensate but this is a tricky calculation because if the fares are set too high people won't travel.

The London City route is a particular problem because that airport sets very high charges for airlines.

ASW might have charged what some people believe to be high fares but if they did they weren't high enough to overcome the airport's charges.

Don't look at this route in isolation. London City has lost a number of routes and carriers in the past year, almost all serving airports much bigger and busier than Plymouth.
James, South West"
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 08, 2010, 09:27:34 »

Transport experts (!) are frequently quoted as saying that for overland point-to-point journeys of less than (approximately) 250 miles, train almost always beats plane given reasonable linespeeds (100mph+) for a significant part of the journey.
On that basis this looks like a fairly inevitable result.
Point-to-point timings for Plymouth-London sectors are roughly the same and prices seem also to be comparable when 'walk-up' rail fares are involved - when advance purchase is possible rail wins easily on price.
Given its relative isolation and distance from the main Cornish business centres I have never been convinced that Newquay-London City services would be viable.
I suspect the Newquay/Plymouth-Gatwick services will survive purely because of the onward journey opportunities.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #189 on: May 26, 2010, 11:03:40 »

Parent company to sell Plymouth-based Air Southwest

Plymouth-based airline Air Southwest is to be sold.
Sutton Harbour Holdings said the decision to sell the airline had been taken to enable it to "resource activities more effectively".
The airline's operating profits fell by ^600,000 last year and it was announced earlier this month it was scrapping its London City route.
Revealing its annual results, Sutton Harbour Holdings said Plymouth City Airport would not be sold.
Air Southwest was launched in 2003.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 26, 2010, 17:12:57 »

Plymouth airline Air Southwest is to be sold after a tough year for transport sector
http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/Plymouth-airline-Air-Southwest-sold-chairman-announced/article-2215732-detail/article.html
 Hard to say what the ramifications of this decision will be at this stage but owners Sutton Harbour Holdings are a property development company first and transport provider second.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #191 on: August 19, 2010, 22:44:00 »

Study reveals drop in passengers using Newquay Airport

There has been a continuing drop in the number of people flying to and from Cornwall, according to Newquay Airport.

A study by the airport has shown a 19% fall in passengers over the past two years. However, the airport said the decline rate does appear to be slowing.

It added that the drop is in line with other regional airports, which have all been affected by the economy and the volcanic ash disruptions in the spring.

About 329,000 people are expected to use the airport this financial year.

By the way: while I was trying to decide where to post this latest item of news on the subject of Newquay Airport, I found there were already several previous topics on the subject.  As some of them fitted together, fairly neatly, in terms of chronology, I've taken the opportunity to merge them here - while keeping the original topic headings, just for clarity, as usual!  Wink

CfN.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 20, 2010, 08:46:48 »

Plymouth-based airline Air Southwest sold

Plymouth-based airline Air Southwest has been sold to Eastern Airways.

Air Southwest employs about 150 people and flies to UK (United Kingdom) regional airports as well as the Republic of Ireland and the Channel Islands.

Owner Sutton Harbour Holdings made the decision to sell in May after the airline's operating profits fell by ^600,000.

Air Southwest will continue to fly under its existing brand and staff will be employed by Air Southwest .

The airline was created in 2003 when British Airways withdrew flights to the South West.

Humberside-based Eastern Airways employs 420 staff and operates a fleet of 30 aircraft serving 21 destinations in the UK, Ireland, Norway and France.

Nigel Godefroy, chief executive of the Sutton Harbour Group, said: "Being part of a larger airline will bring stability to Air Southwest and that is good news for air travel to and from the far South West, and for Plymouth and Newquay airports."

Richard Lake, managing director of Eastern Airways, said: "Air Southwest is well regarded by its customers and we want to ensure we retain that loyalty by continuing to offer excellent service and value for money."

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 10, 2011, 15:11:29 »

The company, which was sold by Plymouth's Sutton Harbour Holdings to Eastern Airways at the end of last year, has today announced changes to its operational schedule and will cease flying from Newquay and Plymouth airports to London Gatwick from February 1.
http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/Air-Southwest-scraps-flights-Pymouth-London/article-3082115-detail/article.html
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 10, 2011, 17:40:02 »

Looking at the comments section at the bottom of the above report, the people of Plymouth aren't very happy about this.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25
  Print  

Jump to: