22:30 Cardiff Central to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
18:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
19:15 Penzance to Bristol Temple Meads
20:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 22:42 Exeter St Davids to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 23:49:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[245] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[75] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[56] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[43] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[40] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[32] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre Christmas and early New Year Travel to/from the West  (Read 5055 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2010, 09:12:46 »

I want to travell to the West on the 18-03 from Paddington, on either the Wednesday or the Thursday preceeding Christmas.
It is likely to be overcrowded, or will most have left London earlier ?
Would the Wednesday or the Thursday be best ?
I would book a seat in F , so in theory it does not matter how crowded the train is, but in practice I dont to fight for my seat.
What are the odds on the advertised Pullman restaurant appearing ? can be a bit unreliable at holiday times.

Early in the new Year, I would wish to return to London, what day are normal services likely to resume ?
Although network rail and FGW (First Great Western) expect a normal service from Jan 4th, I dont think that anyone else would expect the work at Reading to be finished on time.
What are odds on the advertised Pullman appearing on the train from Plymouth ?
(only one up service retains a restaurant in the new timetable, the one on the 12-05 is being withdrawn, this is known as progress!)

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 10:54:40 »

West of England services will be going to/from Waterloo during the Reading blockade. I suggest you wait until replacement timetable is released.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 12:02:31 »

Not a lot to be said yet, I would suggest waiting until booking opens for your dates of travel.

However, can I just pick up on the point you made about one of the up Pullmans being withdrawn. Where have you got this information from? Not suggesting it's not true, but a verifiable source would be welcome.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 12:19:35 »

You cant book a seat in coach F.  Only G and H
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 12:46:04 »

You cant book a seat in coach F.  Only G and H

Indeed, you can however reserve a place on the down Pullman services.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 15:28:49 »

Not a lot to be said yet, I would suggest waiting until booking opens for your dates of travel.

However, can I just pick up on the point you made about one of the up Pullmans being withdrawn. Where have you got this information from? Not suggesting it's not true, but a verifiable source would be welcome.

The present timetable has two up trains with a Pullman, 12-00 and 12-55 I think from Plymouth.
The new timetable, now on the FGW (First Great Western) website pocket timetable number 4, shows only one up Pullman on the 12-55 from Plymouth. Most regretable, even if it is called progress.
The long term trend has been roughly one withdrawal a year.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 15:34:32 »

West of England services will be going to/from Waterloo during the Reading blockade. I suggest you wait until replacement timetable is released.

Yes I heard that, but I thought that my proposed dates fell outside the blockade dates, or does it start earlier than I thought ?

Running into Waterloo sounds better than buses replacing trains, BUT I fear the potential for cock ups.
Such as network rail deciding at the last minute that HSTs (High Speed Train) cant run to waterloo, or lack of drivers with route knowledge, or Waterloo being closed.

inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 16:05:32 »

Your outward journey is clear of the blockade. Although the information you have given about your return journey is somewhat vague, it is possible that it may be affected depending on yout date of travel.

Look at the FGW (First Great Western) website - the front page gives information on the dates up to which reservations (and therefore confirmed timetable information) is available. That will tell you when you are able to book the journeys you want.

Since Christmas falls on a Saturday this year, Wednesday and Thursday are 22 and 23 Dec. I'm guessing that the Thursday will be very busy, from past experience. Wednesday may be a better option, but I think your suggestion that the "crowds" may have left earlier is wildly over-optimistic. Both will, I suspect, be very busy.

Catering provision can be hit-and-miss around that time, and it's absolutely impossible to say whether or not the restaurant service will be available until you arrive to board the train. Between Christmas and New Year you can forget any thought of a Pullman appearing, especially with the diversions around Reading, and it may take a few days once normal service resumes before those things settle down. Frankly I think FGW are going to have more important things to worry about over the Christmas period this year than providing full restaurant services.

Bottom line: yes, of course it will be busy. I'd go for Wednesday if it was me, good luck booking a seat in F, don't bank on the restaurant service being available. If you're lucky and it's not there there may be a travelling chef which is a good substitute.

For your return journey, I think your cynicism about normal services being resumed on 4 Jan is ill-founded. In fact apart from the well publicized and rahter spectacular screw-ups on the west coast and Liverpool Street early in 2009 the track records of these sorts of big possessions for finishing on time are pretty good. NR» (Network Rail - home page) know how many people they will affect, and how much money they'll have to fork out in compensation if things go awry, so the contingency planning should be fairly robust. Of course I stand to be corrected in the fullness of time. Again, impossible to know whether or not the restaurant will be available. Pack a sausage roll just in case.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 19:20:34 »

The present timetable has two up trains with a Pullman, 12-00 and 12-55 I think from Plymouth.
The new timetable, now on the FGW (First Great Western) website pocket timetable number 4, shows only one up Pullman on the 12-55 from Plymouth. Most regretable, even if it is called progress.
The long term trend has been roughly one withdrawal a year.

Sorry, I may be missing something, but I cannot see the Dec 2010 - May 2011 timetable on FGWs website. The present timetable shows the 1200 from Plymouth as a Travelling Chef, but this is an error. The Pullman dining webpages list the services. If I am missing something obvious then could someone provide a link. Ta

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 21:10:20 »

Sorry, I may be missing something, but I cannot see the Dec 2010 - May 2011 timetable on FGWs (First Great Western) website. The present timetable shows the 1200 from Plymouth as a Travelling Chef, but this is an error. The Pullman dining webpages list the services. If I am missing something obvious then could someone provide a link. Ta

I understood that the timetable on the FGW website is the new one, the notes attached to it refer to the Christmas works at Reading, suggesting that it not the current one.
But perhaps I am mistaken ?
If both Pullmans are being retained, then that is good news.
Anyone know for certain?
2 a day is rather minimal, but a lot better than none !

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 21:21:01 »

The down Pullmans are, I believe, doing sufficient business to ensure they are retained. It makes sense to have both up Pullmans retained also, as they get the crew and stock from the base in Plymouth up to London.

Whilst the up Pullmans may be more lightly used, I guess it makes sense to have the crew working and bringing in some revenue, rather than riding up to London on the cushions.

I hope to do an up Pullman for lunch sometime in November, intending to report back here on the forum with a review of the food and service. I'll make some enquiries of the staff, when I use one of the 'ups', regarding Pullman provision pre- and post-Christmas. I do know that last Christmas the Pullmans didn't run between Christmas and new Year and I would suspect that this year they are unlikely to run during the Reading blockade.

You may be okay for Pullman dining on the 1803 on the 22nd/23rd. If you need an answer sooner then I suggest you e-mail or call FGW (First Great Western) Customer Service. If you do not have inclusive 0845 calls then the alternative number for FGW CS is 01752 675640.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 21:32:55 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 22:07:48 »

Bear in mind, though, that 0845 numbers are not necessarily premium rate: many of them are local call rate from anywhere in the country, so they could be cheaper than the national number.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 22:23:41 »

All 01/02 numbers are billed at the same rate these days regardless of distance. My reason for including the 01 number, is that most call providers (both landline and mobile) do not include 0845 numbers in their inclusive bundles.

The added bonus with that landline number is that you get straight through to the Customer Service queue, bypassing all the recorded stuff and options.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 22:29:14 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 13:30:15 »

The timetable on the FGW (First Great Western) website is stated to be valid from September 6th until December 11th.
In booklet 4 it only refers to only one up train retaining a pullman.

Is this correct ? a previous post refers to a typo in the previous timetable, so perhaps that is the case.
Anyone know for certain ?

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 13:58:26 »

Timetables can and do contain errors. I thought we'd covered this. I'm 99% certain there are currently 2 up Pullmans. Take a look at the FGW (First Great Western) Pullman Dining part of their website:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=70

If you are still not convinced then give Customer Services a call. Details upthread.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: